10-25-2016 05:33 PM
59 123
tools
    I picked my At&T Galaxy s7 Edge up at Best Buy on Monday afternoon and i had no issues with the phone at all until tonight. Suddenly tonight i go into the Oculus app and download the Ocean Rift for the Gear VR. I put the phone down and when i went back a few minutes later to check the download status the phone is turned off and will not power back on. My battery was down to about 17% so it still had plenty of juice left. I plugged it in and no lights or charging indication show on the phone. Tried to start in safe mode and nothing happens. Totally unresponsive and it appears to be bricked. I will be going to Best Buy first thing in the AM.
    03-10-2016 11:28 PM
    Sorry to hear that!

I hope the new one doesn't have any problems.
    03-10-2016 11:30 PM
    Sometimes just giving the phone an overnight rest period gets the sucker back up and running. Hope to hear you don't have to go and exchange your new phone bud.
    03-10-2016 11:55 PM
    Just a quick update. I managed to get the phone to come back on. I plugged it into the charger for about 2 hours and was messing with all of the buttons with no response. I then decided to press and hold down together the volume up and down buttons along with the home and power button and viola it came back to life. Seems to be working ok and battery is now 100% charged even though it never indicated it was charging when it was plugged in. Just wanted to post in case someone else runs into this problem.
    03-11-2016 01:08 AM
    Just a quick update. I managed to get the phone to come back on. I plugged it into the charger for about 2 hours and was messing with all of the buttons with no response. I then decided to press and hold down together the volume up and down buttons along with the home and power button and viola it came back to life. Seems to be working ok and battery is now 100% charged even though it never indicated it was charging when it was plugged in. Just wanted to post in case someone else runs into this problem.
    Sounds like it was stuck in an endless loop. Glad you got it squared away though!
    03-11-2016 01:20 AM
    I'd still replace it, being a new phone and all.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-11-2016 01:32 AM
    I had a phone do that once, it's very scary especially when you're out of town and really need your phone, but just like you it came back on after being off for a while.
    I have learned over the years some very good advice from some pretty techy people they you should never try and download a big file on a low battery. If will drain it very fast. I am guessing this is what happened to you, that the battery drained and shut down. Even when you plug it back in it does take some time for it to "wake up" so to speak.
    And just some friendly advice, never download on a low battery unless you have it plugged in.
    I hope everything is running smoothly and you're enjoying the phone and the VR. I get my phone today but the gear had to be shipped so I have to wait on that but I'm getting a little excited and can't wait to try it out! I hope it's worth all the hype! I'm 66 years old and wondering if I should be so excited over a phone and some head gear! Lol

03-11-2016 06:44 AM
    wow that sucks...sometimes it happens
    03-11-2016 11:49 AM
    I'd replace it anyway. That shouldn't happen right out of the box.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red
    jessm1378 likes this.
    03-11-2016 11:53 AM
    I had the exact same issue with my S7. Appeared to be bricked after exiting an app while using the Gear VR. Thought all was lost but holding volume up and down + home + power for about 3-5 sec brought up the Samsung boot screen and it seems fine now. Thanks for your post.
    Kiet189 likes this.
    03-12-2016 04:54 PM
    I picked my At&T Galaxy s7 Edge up at Best Buy on Monday afternoon and i had no issues with the phone at all until tonight. Suddenly tonight i go into the Oculus app and download the Ocean Rift for the Gear VR. I put the phone down and when i went back a few minutes later to check the download status the phone is turned off and will not power back on. My battery was down to about 17% so it still had plenty of juice left. I plugged it in and no lights or charging indication show on the phone. Tried to start in safe mode and nothing happens. Totally unresponsive and it appears to be bricked. I will be going to Best Buy first thing in the AM.

Thank you SOOOO much for your post. Mine did EXACTLY the same last night but it was on 18% and i was only in the upday app reading the news! Its my birthday today and i thought id have the hassle of no phone but having found yr post my phone is back on!!! I will be letting Three network know as other guys are right, shouldnt happen on a highly rated out the box device!!! Thanks again :0)
    03-17-2016 02:54 AM
    Thanks so much for posting this tip. Just had the same problem with my S7 and this worked.
    03-19-2016 12:11 AM
    I'd replace it anyway. That shouldn't happen right out of the box.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red
    I'd replace it every day for 14 days just to be safe.
    Bodrul likes this.
    03-19-2016 12:35 AM
    I had my S7 Edge shut completely
    I saw this VIDEO & it helped me

Holding down Volume & Power key boot it up for me

I also had a issue when i hit the menu key to shut all Apps
    it would ask me to Set TouchWiz Easy or Normal
    So i re format it & works fine now

I think it was one of the Apps i installed that messed it up
    maybe im wrong,Its a New Phone this should not happen

I belive alls well if it ends well
    03-19-2016 12:54 AM
    I had the exact same issue with my S7. Appeared to be bricked after exiting an app while using the Gear VR. Thought all was lost but holding volume up and down + home + power for about 3-5 sec brought up the Samsung boot screen and it seems fine now. Thanks for your post.
    Thank you! Happened to my gfs phone and tried your method and got it to work!
    03-21-2016 03:15 PM
    Had the same problem with my s7 edge. After using it for 4 days it just bricked during normal chrome browsing. did nothing special, no downloads in the background or such. Thing just went black, no response, no (charge) lights no nothing, just dead. The button combination also didn't work.
    Then I just left it on the charger for about 1h, then it suddenly out of nowhere went back on.
    Words can't express how pissed I was over a brand new 800€ phone ******* up like this right out of the box. Fix your **** Samsung!
    03-22-2016 06:32 AM
    This happened to me once, too. It was after I had been using the VR. I held down the power button and the volume up button at the same time and did a hard reset. So far, I haven't had any more problems. I guess that was a week ago.

03-22-2016 06:44 AM
    This also happened to me today. Thought it was a bad Android April Fools Day trick. Thanks to all of you for posting the fix. It worked to get my S7 back on. Back in action.
    03-31-2016 12:06 PM
    i opened an account just to say this happened to me and this fix worked great. Thank you
    03-31-2016 08:35 PM
    This thread is terrifying...
    03-31-2016 08:53 PM
    I have the s7 edge which I've had going on 2 weeks.now. today I received my gear vr , everything was fine all day, but just now I took my phone out of the vr and it died. After about an hour it came1 back on
    03-31-2016 09:50 PM
    Are these phones overheating in the VR?

Sent from my Chrome™ Samsung S7 edge
    03-31-2016 10:10 PM
    Happened to me a few days ago, too. Took it off the charger and it was working because it would send notifications to my watch, but completely non-responsive. Two days after my 14 day return period ended -- I was so upset. I did the same as others, held down volume down, home and power at the same time and got it back. It has been fine ever since. Going on five days and no problems.
    03-31-2016 10:17 PM
    Tks, the same thing happend to me and after I press all the buttons it works again.
    04-02-2016 05:18 PM
    Same here. Happens say once a week. Did it today. There seems to be no one thing that sets it off. Bloody annoying!

04-03-2016 10:20 AM
59 123