Galaxy S7 Edge - Restarts itself up to twice each hour

RealtorJCupp

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
First, I'd like to say I absolutely love my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and what it can do, when it's not restarting itself. This problem has only begun a few days ago but it's getting more and more frequent. I've deleted the apps that I installed that I thought my be causing the glitch. I've done a factory reset and it worked for a little while.

Is anyone else having this issue?

:mad:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to keep deleting all apps you installed one by one until the problem goes away (not just the ones you suspect). Or do a factory reset, then prevent apps from installing automatically from the Play Store, then reinstalling apps one by one slowly.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest that you backup all data do a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem. Being that safe mode was ok, I would have to guess that this is an app issue. So you will have to troubleshoot by process of elimination. For what it's worth, I was getting 5 restarts every half an hour. Did a factory data reset and no restarts in over 24 hours.

RealtorJCupp

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I would suggest that you backup all data do a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem. Being that safe mode was ok, I would have to guess that this is an app issue. So you will have to troubleshoot by process of elimination. For what it's worth, I was getting 5 restarts every half an hour. Did a factory data reset and no restarts in over 24 hours.

Thank you. I think it's the Google Play Services app that's causing the problem. Its the only app that constantly crashes and brings up the prompt to suggest reporting. How would you get away with turning off that app when you need it to download apps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You don't want to turn off Google Play Services--that's integral to many Google apps and services, as the name implies. It's probably not Play Services that's the problem--it's more likely some 3rd party app that's interacting poorly with Play Services and causing it to crash.

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Well he's done a reset all ready. Do you know if it's getting hot when it reboots. Try wiping cache in recovery mode. Not sure if it does that from the factory reset, or the other option is to swap it if you have insurance

Posted via the Android Central App

RealtorJCupp

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Well he's done a reset all ready. Do you know if it's getting hot when it reboots. Try wiping cache in recovery mode. Not sure if it does that from the factory reset, or the other option is to swap it if you have insurance

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks Dubss, it doesn't really get hot, unless I've using google maps and charging at the same time in my car (normal i think). I went ahead and started another factory reset before I got your message. I'll look into wiping cache in recovery mode next.

RealtorJCupp

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
On my phone at least, Google play services isn't causing problems.

I'm a Realtor, and we use a lot of apps that give us either special access to lockboxes or websites for various things. I'm just hoping its not one of those. I did another factory reset to see if that will fix it.

RealtorJCupp

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I haven't even fully setup the phone and I'm getting app crashes before they are even being used.
example: "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped" "Unfortunately Amazon Kindle has stopped" etc....

RealtorJCupp

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I don't think my message was posted. I wrote:

During this last system restore I immediately get the prompt that Google Play Services and Amazon Kindle are crashing. This is before I even setup my email to begin the process.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well he's done a reset all ready.

Oftentimes apps will start automatically reinstalling immediately upon finishing the Setup Wizard, so this is why I still may suggest Safe Mode or getting rid of all 3rd party app, even if a reset has been done before (unless the user specifically states that they went to the Play Store and prevented any app from installing automatically after the Setup Wizard).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think my message was posted. I wrote:

During this last system restore I immediately get the prompt that Google Play Services and Amazon Kindle are crashing. This is before I even setup my email to begin the process.

Try using Samsung Smart Switch to reinstall the firmware, in case the firmware has become corrupted somehow.

jrmacd

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem as well. It even rebooted when I was in safe mode, uninstalling apps. So I did two factory resets yesterday morning, but that hasn't solved the issue either. The first day I had it, it froze and crashed while taking a picture, as well as later in the evening when I was just looking at the time. This is before I had any apps installed. It's rebooted at least once every night while I'm sleeping in the three nights I've owned it. I took it back to my T-Mobile store yesterday, and I'm just waiting for a new shipment to arrive so I can swap it.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
First, I'd like to say I absolutely love my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and what it can do, when it's not restarting itself. This problem has only begun a few days ago but it's getting more and more frequent. I've deleted the apps that I installed that I thought my be causing the glitch. I've done a factory reset and it worked for a little while.

Is anyone else having this issue?

:mad:

It shouldn't be doing that. If i were you, return it and get a replacement ASAP before your 14 days is up.

handsomedude

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I am having an odd and irritating issue. Haven't seen anyone else post about it so hopefully I just ended up with a bad phone and it's not indicative of the S7 Edge (US Cellular Snapdragon).

So a few hours after I brought the phone home from the store (March 9th) I noticed the time on my phone was off by almost 20 minutes. Turns out it had froze and I had to do the battery pull simulation task (volume down and power for several seconds?...) to get the phone to reboot. Since then my phone has randomly rebooted or frozen and rebooted close to 20 times.

There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to when and why it does this. Sometimes it does it when I am not using the phone, other times when I am using the browser or watching a video. Especially annoyed when it did this in the middle of a fantasy baseball draft! So I called US Cellular to get some ideas. First thing was remove the SD card - no help. Next was a app cache and system partition cache wipe - nope. Then we did a factory reset and reinstalled everything including apps - still acting up. Last we tried another factory reset but this time we did not reload Google or Samsung accounts or apps. Still failed!

US Cellular is sending a new phone to replace this one. Again, hopefully this is a rare and isolated failure, however, I wanted to share my story in case anyone else is dealing with a similar situation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch