Galaxy S7 Edge - Restarts itself up to twice each hour

Rob Lenardson

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue, started first day I had it, love the phone but is soo unstable,...returned it on day 3 for a new one , same problem..not sure if it crashed before I installed apps or not, only apps were... I heart radio, candy crush and weatherbug...I don't know, but my 14 days isn't up yet, going to swap again, ...kind of thinking about paying the damn 50$ restocking fee for Verizon and swapping to a different brand, this is my first Samsung and I'm starting to question the decision

Damian Frizzi

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I've never had iHeartRadio installed - the service doesn't exist in Switzerland - but my phone still reboots once in a while.

Can confirm that. I'm also from Switzerland and therefore don't have the iHeartRadio app installed. But my phone started to constantly reboot now (up to 6 times per hour) and gets hot once doing the reboot.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Can confirm that. I'm also from Switzerland and therefore don't have the iHeartRadio app installed. But my phone started to constantly reboot now (up to 6 times per hour) and gets hot once doing the reboot.
Do you have a Swisscom device? There was an update last week, since then, mine hasn't rebooted. That said, my wife and I both have Swisscom S7es and hers has never had any kind of stability problem.

danieldjz

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I had times when my S7 Edge rebooted every 10-15 minutes. I uninstalled all possible apps, and the problem stopped. I think I have it pinned down to a culprit: Cortana for Android. So if this is happening to you, remove as many apps as possible and monitor new installs. Tedious but effective.

Altarocks01

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me with an S7. Did a factory reset and it seemed to take care of the reboots, but I was in my exchange window so I returned it for an Edge. All was fine until a month in when I moved all the apps I could to my external SD. Had to factory reset and the reboots have stopped (I left all apps on the internal SD this time). In retrospect moving apps to my external SD was when my random reboots started on my S7.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me with an S7. Did a factory reset and it seemed to take care of the reboots, but I was in my exchange window so I returned it for an Edge. All was fine until a month in when I moved all the apps I could to my external SD. Had to factory reset and the reboots have stopped (I left all apps on the internal SD this time). In retrospect moving apps to my external SD was when my random reboots started on my S7.
Mine has also rebooted again. Definitely seems to be related to the SD card.

ukracer

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have random reboots appr9x 4 times per day. My phone does not get hot at all BUT I do have an issue with Facebook that requires a restart before I can reply to posts at times......I am guessing they are related issues..

danieldjz

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I posted earlier that Cortana was the problem. Actually it wasn't Cortana. Neither was it the SD or any of the apps. I sent it to the shop three times, and three times it still turned off. Just a quick recap... After the first few hours of a factory reset, it would be working fine until (a) it rebooted or (b) it turned off. The most annoying thing was that, when it turned off, you wouldn't be able to turn it on UNLESS you plugged in the charger. Even if it had 80% of battery left, it would not turn on or battery disconnect AT ALL. Every time they "fixed it," all they did was re-flash the phone. Eventually I put my foot down and demanded a new device. They are out of stock where I live, so they are shipping one tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted! (crossing fingers).

P.S. This is by far the best phone I've ever had, almost reaching perfection. I really hope it was a factory defect and NOT a design flaw.

hishaq96

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi i have a similar problem to you but mine happens when i use Facebook app. I even factory reset the phone but the problem still continues.

danieldjz

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Hey, just a quick update. I received my S7 Edge replacement last week, and it works like a Charm. No over-heating, rebooting, restarting, black screen, nothing. It's the perfect phone. If you guys are getting constant reboots, it could be a hardware error, as I discovered. Just FYI, I noticed that when my phone restarted, the internet activity spiked (my wifi router makes a sound when the 5Ghz gets very active).

Hope this all helps!

taraji

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I am. My brand new S7 was restarting itself and I took into my TMobile store and they did a warranty exchange. Well, things were going fine until the last update😠

Now, it freezes at any given time, mostly when I'm in the middle of an app. Just did a factory reset an it is still not performing as it did when I first got it🤔☹️

OscarMacias

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Ran into this thread this morning and the behavior everyone described is what was happening to me. Phone would shut down minute after being inactive in my pocket. Power, Volume and Home keys would not make the phone respond. After hard rebooting, the phone would come up to a slow and lag filled home screen where even scrolling from home screen to home screen would crawl. Going into settings was slow and suddenly it would freeze. This happened from about 2:00 AM - 10:00 AM.

A couple days ago I inserted a 128 GB Micro SD card with about 50 GB of content. I read a comment that their SD caused it so I removed my SD card, rebooted the phone and after it booted that last time it has not turned off, become unresponsive or slowed down for about 5 hours now... seems fixed. Will insert some spare SD cards to see if there is an issue with the drivers loaded on this model and what it is specific to.

Hope this helps!

Alasdair_mc

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
My S7 started rebooting everytime I tried to connect to the internet while the page was starting to open. I used the Smart Manager to 'Clean All', and I am using the internet again without it rebooting so it seems to have stopped the issue for now.

Alasdair_mc

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
After a couple of hours of working fine following using the 'Clean All' function in the Smart Manager, the S7 is rebooting again.
Tried a factory reset - it warned that all data and files would be deleted in the process. After the factory reset, it appears all files and data were still on the device so the factory reset did not work properly.
It looks like this S7 is going back to be replaced at the shop....

danaman

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
It may be a faulty SIM card.

Troubleshooting I followed as I was finding that my S7 either turned off for no reason/ or froze at the clock screen many times a day forcing me to start it again with the power & volume down buttons: -

1) Nothing resolved it by restoring or one by one deleting installed apps or a factory reset
2) I had to leave the phone on Airplane mode & then it didn't crash so narrowed down that it was only when using 3G/ 4G that the problem occurred
3) Samsung support advised me to check by switching a new SIM if the SIM was the issue
4) I swapped the SIM to another S7 & still had the same problem in the replacement phone
5) My wife put in her SIM into the suspected faulty phone & never had any crashes...so it wasn't the phone
6) Got a new SIM & it's all good no crashes at all

This is the 1st that I had heard that the SIM could be the cause & couldn't find it in other blogs.

Not sure if problem would only arise for an S7 with a faulty SIM card.

Good luck!

TheZuneLune

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having the reboot issue, as well, and have been intermittently having an issue where I lose cellular service and get an error saying there is no SIM card. Thanks to this thread, I will go to Verizon and see if a new SIM fixes the problem.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Mine rebooted constantly. It wasn't the SIM. Verizon arranged for me to get a replacement S7 edge and I put my previously used SIM and microSD in the replacement phone. This one so far has been great.

Posted via the Android Central App

danielbelfiore84

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a s7 . Not edge but it's doing the same thing. Restarts about 2 times a day. I called att and they said to bring it in to either fix or replace but I really don't wanna start over with a new phone.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
About 2 weeks ago I put mine through a factory reset to fix a calendar storage issue - since that point it ran wonderfully and I was ecstatic to finally have it functioning. Then last Thursday I went on a long car journey and bluetoothed it to the car for the first time - since that moment in time it has crashed several times an hour whether blue toothed or not. I took it into a Samsung store, but as I suspected they would not entertain it as it was a Chinese import to the UK through a website (totally genuine, with no invalidation on the software in theory, but not within UK warranty). They did put it on their computer and said there were many software glitches and suggested a factory reset. The problem is that I am almost certain I'd lose the handset in the system if I sent it back under warranty - I waited about 6 weeks for delivery in the first place. So I'm looking at a another factory reset. Several questions please to help this time:

1. From turning it back on after resetting, can anyone point me in the direction of what order the Android set-up screens occur - you know those ones you get when you first turn on a new out of the box phone. I muddled through last time but was guessing as they all come up in Chinese and it is a while before you can get to settings to change it to English. There is plenty on the web about doing the factory reset - I can get to that point as its all in English, but once done all the welcome screens are in Chinese and it would be helpful to know what order to enter the data in. Things like logon details etc. or even which side the 'skip' buttons are so that I can quickly find settings and get back English. Or what are the quickest set of options before I can access languages. I can do other settings later. I can't remember the screen order when I first unboxed it when it had actually been sent to me in English

2. Could the Bluetooth have crashed it - several others on this thread have mentioned Bluetooth. If so why and what it is the best thing to do to stop it please? Before I did the factory reset for the first time (to fix the calendar storage) the phone was often bluetoothed to the car without problems.

3. A long shot - is there any way of getting it to factory reset to English rather than the default Chinese? I can still get to the software as I can soft reset it and get it to function most times for a little while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez