Video quality and jitter-how to fix? [S7 edge]

gnuser

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced jittery videos on QHD,FHD and UHD modes? The motion while taking the video is jittery.
Wonder if it is my SD card? Did not have the issue on S5.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait. I know what he's saying.

While shooting the video, the view finder (the screen itself) looks all jittery while recording but the actual video when played back looks good.

I just tested it and yeah. It's janked up.

Update:

When on fhd 60 fps, it smooths out but has a stutter in the recording (on sd or internal) that's noticable.

Mmmmmm. Ok thus has got me ticked.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yea when I first got the phone and took a video of my daughter trying out the Gear VR, I was wondering why the screen was jittery. Once I played the video though, it didn't affect it. Maybe it's a stabilizing mechanism. Just a guess but other than that, I don't see any major issues with the camera

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
The jitter is caused by the optical image stabilization. If you slowly pan the video and stop you'll see the camera continue moving just slightly to correct for the roll. As others have said the video plays back normally. I suspect the issue is a software glitch where the optical stabilization of the camera isn't allowing the phone's viewfinder to keep up. Shouldn't be an issue but likely will be fixed in an update I suppose?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The jitter is caused by the optical image stabilization. If you slowly pan the video and stop you'll see the camera continue moving just slightly to correct for the roll. As others have said the video plays back normally. I suspect the issue is a software glitch where the optical stabilization of the camera isn't allowing the phone's viewfinder to keep up. Shouldn't be an issue but likely will be fixed in an update I suppose?

Ok. But the stutter about every 3 seconds on the recording using fhd 60 fps is noticable and it ain't right. Hopefully, like you said, an update will fix it.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Ok. But the stutter about every 3 seconds on the recording using fhd 60 fps is noticable and it ain't right. Hopefully, like you said, an update will fix it.

Yes definitely something up with the 60fps setting. Likely software issue as well

gnuser

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I do hobby photography.. Amateur but using DSLRs all day I could spot image noise and slightest disturbance in the recording.

Tnicolay

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
So I just had a talk with Samsung via Livechat. They confirmed that there is a problem with stutter/jitter when recording in 60-fps. They also admit that there is a limitation when recording in the other formats (a LOT of motion blur when you pan/tilt or are shooting fast movements).

Unfortunately Samsung says that that`s just the way it is. There won`t be any software-updates that is going to fix this. At all.

The Samsung-rep told me that there`s no fix. If you record video, you should be vary with movements... And if you`re recording video, you have to make sure there are no huge movements. This is terrible..

Here is an outtake of the chat (sorry for the google translate):

Okay, but it says nowhere? One should well expect that 60 FPS is 60 FPS regardless of movements?
Besides recording in the other qualities very poor by movement. Introduces very much motion blur. That does not happen in the 60 fps?
Alexander 10:31:54
There is, unfortunately, limitations of the phone, there's nothing we can do about it
Thomas 10:32:36
Can you detail some of the restrictions in question?
Alexander 10:33:23
The phone has a certain performance, if you try to do something that requires more, the phone does not catch
Thomas 10:34:17
But I do nothing that requires more, this is the default setting in the stock camera app on your phone?
Alexander 10:35:03
Yes, and it works as long as you do not make sudden moves
Thomas 10:35:40
So the conclusion is: You can do OK recording as long as there are no rapid movements in the picture?
Alexander 10:35:51
Yes
Thomas 10:36:02
Thanks for the information.

sbaumg2s

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Wow! I do have S7 but even if i go down with video recording quality to lowest possible it still produces motion blur. Regardless if watching in on my phone or the computer. For such a prestige product this is a big shame.

gnuser

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried VS off and it does help. Also I emphasize on keeping hand motions smooth when capturing video, significantly improved output quality. QHD however for me is not the best mode to capture movies. I use a Sandisk 80fps chip.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Image stabilization replaces a fluid-motion head tripod. If you mount the phone on a good tripod you won't see the problems. Photography 101.

Samsung is technically correct, but they shouldn't have released a phone like this. Remove the image stabilization and blame the photographer for blur and shake (which would be the cause).