Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
security is the most important thing. Your card number isn't actually being transmitted, only a one time use token.
That's what they said about chipped cards. Well, it's true - kinda-sorta. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another way to help identity theft.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's what they said about chipped cards. Well, it's true - kinda-sorta. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another way to help identity theft.

How so? It uses a token card versus your actual card so if someone swiped it -- it would take that card versus your real, right?

Liskrig

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could tell ya... I got Android Pay to work on my Nexus 5, but when I tried to set it up on my S7, suddenly my bank isn't supported (Same with Samsung Pay). I used Apple Pay at a BJs Wholesale Club for a $100+ purchase, and I will admit, it was quicker than the card (~4 seconds from initial scan to receipt). I wish I could comment on Android Pay, or Samsung Pay, because I like the idea of not carrying a wallet, and would happily use them if not just to provide feedback.

chris9000

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I carry numerous cards on me at all times because I get cash back from each category differently. It's so much easier to just have all my cards on my phone. I usually carry my phone in my hand at all times anyways so it is just so much quicker. Swiping up from the screen off with my thumb on the home key I can authenticate and pay in under a second. It's also faster at processing the payment vs the new chip and signature which in my experience takes 10+ seconds.

At first I thought Samsung Pay would not replace my wallet but now I use it more and more to the point where I only carry my wallet in case it doesn't work or my phone dies. Lets be honest, eventually electronic payments will make plastic obsolete (or a not-cool hassle such as someone writing a check or paying cash). It will take time but I will gladly take the convenience now and be an early adopter.

As others have said some states are already trialing digital drivers' license. I imagine in 20 years we will all have digital licenses + passports so this is the direction the world is moving.

Exactly. It's not a mega revolutionary change. It's an evolutionary step toward the days when everything will be processed without the need for carrying around extra cards and cash.

The one group I can see being "inconvenienced" by this are welfare recipients. I can see those fraudulently trying to sell their benefits being outed more easily this way.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Change DPI scaling to condensed

capital one is annoying like that. they've supported apple pay since the beginning, but still don't support android pay or samsung pay.
I like using this card. I just don't want to apply for another banks card just to have a card that will work with Samsung Pay.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

capital one is annoying like that. they've supported apple pay since the beginning, but still don't support android pay or Samsung pay.

(Note: I merged some of our stuff NexusGirl / Adiliyo due to me taking the post off-topic on the other thread).

I had to go away from Capital One due to high interest rates. I randomly looked one day and was stunned on what they were doing to me. I called and they offered me a promo of "16% for a few months". Needless to say I left and went to my bank (VyStar) and got a MUCH lower permanent rate since I don't have bad credit.

To be honest I am shocked VyStar got on board with Samsung Pay as fast as they did. They're a credit union for my area mainly.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Love samsung pay. Never met a location where it hasn't worked....yes there are times where it doesn't take the first time but it has never failed. I like the tokenization concept that protects me more too.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

(Note: I merged some of our stuff NexusGirl / Adiliyo due to me taking the post off-topic on the other thread).

I had to go away from Capital One due to high interest rates. I randomly looked one day and was stunned on what they were doing to me. I called and they offered me a promo of "16% for a few months". Needless to say I left and went to my bank (VyStar) and got a MUCH lower permanent rate since I don't have bad credit.

To be honest I am shocked VyStar got on board with Samsung Pay as fast as they did. They're a credit union for my area mainly.

i agree, their rates aren't the best. mainly i use their card for the cashback by paying all my other bills with it and then paying it off every month.

it just annoys me that i can only use their cards with my iphone and none of my android devices because they feel like their stupid wallet app has some purpose.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If you go to a restaurant, you most likely will need to have your CC with you. Waiter/waitress comes to your table with the tab, you have to give them your CC to pay. None of them are carrying portable devices so you can use your phone to pay.

Rule #1 never give the waiter/waitress your credit card.In other words, never let the card leave your sight.

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I would like the store to have to see a picture of card holder at time of purchase. I understand some credit cards have them now. In the mean time I will use my chip card as intended simply because it saves me the trouble of pulling out a phone and fumbling with a fingerprint. The card is smaller and lighter to pull out than my big phone. Everyone is different. I don't want my phone surgically implanted to my hand.

It uses your fingerprint. Seeing a picture is irrelevant.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Rule #1 never give the waiter/waitress your credit card.In other words, never let the card leave your sight.

I am not that worried about this. I only give them my Credit Card -- not my Debit. I always use a Credit Card. It is way easier to deal with fraud when it comes to that.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Good luck with that, unless you want to follow them all the way to behind the register, which they don't allow you to do. I'm sure not going to follow a waitress like a puppy dog. I never worry. Bank always reverses the charges. It's painless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87