Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select it?

Mariyas

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me [ language cleanup]crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

THANK YOU! Worked for me too on my s7 edge! I had previously installed clean master and probably it effed my cache.

Rufus mom

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

I uninstalled DU Speed Booster, DU Trash cleaner

Hope this works for you.

ekendraed

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

I have the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Android version 6.0.1 with Android security patch level 1st August 2016.

When I do as instructed above, I do not see the option " DRAW OVER THE APPS"

What should I do? I have this issue with SKYPE and I am unable to connect with VIDEO option

Thank you

ekendraed

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

I don't see "Draw over other apps" on my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Android 6.0.1.
Wonder why

ekendraed

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Problem resolved after removing DU BATTERY SAVER AND CCLEANER.

Sree Rekha Mure

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!! That totally worked! I was going crazy for a whole day trying to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. I followed your instructions and now I don't have any overlay problem and am in control of giving permission for apps!

ekendraed

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!! That totally worked! I was going crazy for a whole day trying to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. I followed your instructions and now I don't have any overlay problem and am in control of giving permission for apps!

Happy it worked OK for you

ParaMigi

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site

If anyone is still looking for solutions: the little bubbles of Facebook's Messenger App being open causes the error message to appear for me too. As soon as I swipe away all the open chat bubbles the error will stop. Hope this helps anyone without having to clear any settings or whatever (which I did before finding out FB caused it lol)

Jake Walsh

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I have the Galaxy S7 and I see the popup as well. Its under settings and application manager. In the upper right corner you will see a "MORE" option. Select that and you will see Draw over other apps. This is the overlay that you are getting prompts from. Once you select it, you will see the option to Enable it or disable it. From here you can unselect it or, go to each app you are getting prompts for and see if it's enabled. If it's something you don't want to overlay other apps, simply disable it. If you don't like the overlay feature on any apps, you can select "disable" at the top of the list. Hope this helps.

View attachment 227413

I get to this screen, but when I try to turn the setting on or off it doesn't work. Any advice? (I have an s7 edge from ATT)

Eyad Al Zain

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

Hi all: i have a few apps that trigger some odd "screen overlay" question and takes me to a selection page.

i don't understand what this page does and why it's doing this annoying thing.

may i ask if anyone else has experienced this please?

thanks.

Just disable the iswipe from clean master

sonia_89

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

it happened to me to when i downloaded Page Messenger on my s7, but it went away on its own, anyone knows why it comes up

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I get to this screen, but when I try to turn the setting on or off it doesn't work. Any advice? (I have an s7 edge from ATT)
You need to deactivate the blue screen filter you have.

Beaser

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site

So apparently, after playing with this for a couple of days, it appears that I have to disable Lux if I want to avoid this error message. Not helpful, since I really like Lux.

You have to turn all those apps off, then it'll let you do what you need to do. You can go in through settings later and turn them back on. Screen overlay let's you get notifications on top of open screens.

227leblanc

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site

That drove me absolutely nuts! It finally worked itself out and has stopped. I have Twilight installed (Lux like App) so maybe that was causing it but I never had to disable it.

Been bugging me for days! Turning off Twilight worked! Thanks! Too bad the on screen noification isn't move helpfull in telling the user whats going on.

nascentt

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Just wanted to post my solution after days of trying to fix this.

Issue is: Trying to toggle permissions results in a prompt warning about Screen Overlay Detected. This is because some apps can draw over the top of other apps, such examples are colour/brightness changing apps, screen readers, and also notification apps such as floatify. But such an app could trick you into giving permissions by drawing over the top of the screen with a picture or button and when you click that you'd really be clicking the permissions giving the app dangerous abilities.

Sadly this implementation is pretty poor. There should really be a 'pause all screen overlay apps'so that you dont need to turn them all off each time you change a permission, and ideally this pause all screen overlay should be automatic when permissions pages appear, and resumed when they are closed.
The biggest problem is that even after unticking all screen overlay permissions for every app, you can still get this prompt showing leaving you completely stuck and unable to do anything.

There is a hidden option in the settings to resolve this exact issue.

The solution: Go to Settings, Apps, click the Cog symbol at the top, click Draw Over Other Apps, Ensure all apps are turned off, then if you still have this problem you need to click the hidden dot dot dot menu on the top right of the screen, and then click Reset App Permissions.

This will stop the dialog showing despite having already unticked all screen drawing apps.

However I also found a great app that will pretty much bypass this whole issue, Install Button Unlocker. This app will magically overlay (irony?) buttons over the top of the permissions pages which allow you to interact with the permissions despite this feature trying to block you from doing that.

CBaron72

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site

Thank you, been suffering with this for a while and the Install Button Unlocker worked a treat! :D

Lasonta Sealy

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site

first solution i found that worked perfectly! thank you!

nestacomm

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me [ language cleanup]crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.
Cleared the cache and it worked like a champion! Thanks for the instructions!