Access menu without visible icon

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm going nuts trying to find an answer.

I have some older apps that are the furthest thing from material design and they do not have a settings slider or icon. On my old Maxx, I could long press the "recent apps" button and it would access the menu for the app.

I can't find any such option on the S7/Edge. Does such a shortcut exist? If not, how does one access a menu without a button, icon, slider, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've tried that and it doesn't work. Is there a setting I need to enable to activate that shortcut?

Edit: that *does* work on apps that have a visible menu icon/slider, etc. But on apps without one, it simply backs out of the app.

Note: the actual app I'm dealing with is "Volume Control Plus Pro." I've tried this several times, and it doesn't work.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmmm... I remember there were apps that could add 'soft buttons' but most require root or don't have a specific Menu button :(

Maybe it's time to either let the dev know or find an app that does the same.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. This dev hasn't updated this app/widget in years, so...

Perhaps I just need to find a new volume control widget. Heh.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
BTW, I was finally able to access the menu by enabling the "Assistant menu" via the Dexterity and interaction section of the Accessibility settings.

This turns on an on-screen icon that stays on the screen and acts as a shortcut for many features. When clicked, it pops up a menu. Within this menu, there is a "More options" button. In the ancient app I was speaking of, this brought up the required settings menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38