09-09-2016 11:22 AM
26 12
tools
    I just noticed that light bleeds from the edge of the phone. Where the screen ends and meets the metal. Is this normal or am I having issues with my edge?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-08-2016 06:17 PM
    This is amoled , if light is bleeding then you must have an issue where metal is not meeting glass and you are seeing something that should not be visible like the screen folding into the body.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-08-2016 07:27 PM
    Mine doesn't bleed at all.
    04-08-2016 08:38 PM
    sfla99 is correct. AMOLED screens don't bleed like LCD screens because they don't "block" the light on a black screen, the pixels just don't turn on.
    Aquila and Kevin OQuinn like this.
    04-08-2016 08:45 PM
    So what should I do? There's definitely light where the glass meets the metal. It's not that bright but it is noticeable especially now that I know it's there.

04-08-2016 10:23 PM
    So what should I do? There's definitely light where the glass meets the metal. It's not that bright but it is noticeable especially now that I know it's there.

On both sides? Is it the edge panel?
    04-08-2016 10:44 PM
    It's on both sides. It almost look like the black color just ends and I'm seeing under the black paint or whatever. I tested the device under water for a leak or anything and it works fine.

04-08-2016 10:51 PM
    I think i know what you mean, but, it is so incredibly faint that 98% of people won't be able to see it. You must have really good vision and be in a dark room, and it almost looks like a reflection. Literally, it's so crazy hard to see it doesn't bother me.
    04-08-2016 11:04 PM
    I think i know what you mean, but, it is so incredibly faint that 98% of people won't be able to see it. You must have really good vision and be in a dark room, and it almost looks like a reflection. Literally, it's so crazy hard to see it doesn't bother me.
    Yes usually can't see it outside or when it's bright but in the dark it's there. I'm glad you can see it then right? It's not just me?

04-08-2016 11:06 PM
    You'll have to make a decision whether it's a deal breaker or not.

Unless you feel like you've got some sort of defective screen . I've noticed with this and the s6+ that there is a slight light change on the edges of the screen. It's the nature of the curve.

04-08-2016 11:41 PM
    I have the same bleeding you are talking about. But I dont really mind bc it is perfectly fine or no issues with it. I dont want to go to all that hassle returning and getting a replacement then wind up getting a unit that has more problems. So if your phone is fine I would suggest that stick with it.

-S7Edge
    04-09-2016 12:22 AM
    what light bleed are you guys talking about? are you talking about the screen being brighter on the edge, when you look at the screen from the sides? i think that is just normal light refraction from the curve in the glass.
    04-09-2016 12:34 AM
    what light bleed are you guys talking about? are you talking about the screen being brighter on the edge, when you look at the screen from the sides? i think that is just normal light refraction from the curve in the glass.
    Yeah thats the one and yes I think it's normal too.

-S7Edge
    04-09-2016 12:39 AM
    The light that you think is bleeding between the glass and the metal frame is actually a reflection from the glass to the frame. No need to worry about it, it's absolutely fine.
    limitbreak09 and Alan Sims like this.
    04-09-2016 12:44 AM
    I haven't noticed any light bleed on either one of my two S7 Edge phones. I don't go looking for something that I can't notice in everyday usage. If I can't see it in everyday usage, it's not a problem.
    Alan Sims likes this.
    04-09-2016 01:44 AM
    Yeah, it can't be bleed. I think too that it's inconsistencies in the brightness seen on the curve.
    04-09-2016 02:12 AM
    I too have that problem.. and it's pissing me off. Did you managed to do something with it ? please tell me as it really makes me angry now that I know it's there.
    08-04-2016 09:11 PM
    I just noticed that light bleeds from the edge of the phone. Where the screen ends and meets the metal. Is this normal or am I having issues with my edge?

I picked up 2 Note 7s today and they both have the same issue. If the room is dark and any sort of bright color is on the screen u can see slight hints of light on the sides of the phone. Where the metal ans screen meet. Its super annoying but an otterbox today and it does cover it up. Sucks its even there tho.
    08-19-2016 07:38 PM
    I too have that problem.. and it's pissing me off. Did you managed to do something with it ? please tell me as it really makes me angry now that I know it's there.
    No. Can't do anything about it other than a case. It's not too bad. I have gotten used to it but hope future phones fix this.

08-19-2016 11:57 PM
    I picked up 2 Note 7s today and they both have the same issue. If the room is dark and any sort of bright color is on the screen u can see slight hints of light on the sides of the phone. Where the metal ans screen meet. Its super annoying but an otterbox today and it does cover it up. Sucks its even there tho.
    Damn, sad to hear that the note 7 has the same issue.

08-19-2016 11:57 PM
    1. Light doesn't 'bleed' on AMOLED screens. Bleeding light is when too much light comes in from behind the display from the backlight. AMOLEDs do not have a backlight because the screen itself is the light. What you guys are seeing is the natural refraction of light on a curved glass. The light gets refracted in more than 1 direction hence it looks like there is more light on the edge than the rest of the display.
    2. Hence as long as you will be using an Edge screen, this will be something you will see. But it doesn't really deter from the experience because if you look at the screen head on, it's not apparent.
    08-20-2016 05:19 AM
    Yeah, it can't be bleed. I think too that it's inconsistencies in the brightness seen on the curve.
    I dont know man i have the same problem and made some pictures.. see for yourself
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...m1JcEQ2RjVUaUk
    09-08-2016 03:26 PM
    I dont know man i have the same problem and made some pictures.. see for yourself
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...m1JcEQ2RjVUaUk
    We're saying that although the screen is physically impossible to bleed, we're not saying it doesn't look like that. Light bleed is when light is 'bleeding out' from behind the screen, despite the blocking created by the LCD, since LCD works by the pixels blocking the backlight. This can't happen on AMOLED because there is no backlight to bleed out. This is light refraction due to the curved screen. Causing the illusion of light bleeding. Hence, it's an inherent physical defect of the design and not something that can be fixed.
    09-08-2016 04:53 PM
    This isn't light bleed dude. It's an interesting phenomenon nonetheless.

Basically what you're seeing is where the light is meeting the end of the glass/start of the metal.

To show what I mean set your background to black and place only the google search widget on the home screen. Crack the brightness all the way up and then off any lights. Look at the edge of the phones and start to swipe toward another screen. You'll see that the area inclusive of the search box displays this phenomenon but the black parts stay black.

It's definitely not light bleed, it's just the way light diffuses through the glass and meets the metal frame. Kinda reminds me of optical fibres.
    09-08-2016 09:31 PM
    I see the same thing you're talking about on mine. But my eye doctor says that I have an absurdly good ability to notice slight visual differences.
    09-08-2016 10:26 PM
26 12