been outside all day battery life is much lower somehow

trexs7e

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I had my brightness on auto and been outside all day taking pictures and stuff. the screen on time is only around 3 hours. / (8 hours on battery). is it because of me being outside all day and the brightness is on highest the whole time thus cutting the on screen time to almost half(6 hours ost normally for me)?

what are your guys experience with battery life with s7 edge when you are outside taking pictures/ shooting videos?

most i did today was taking pictures and instagraming. is my battery life normal in this case?

i have the exynos variant

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Taking pictures can use up a decent amount of battery, especially if you're using HDR all the time (since it takes extra CPU power to process HDR). If you have Google Photos Auto Backup turned on and set to upload over wi-fi or mobile data, then the constant uploading over your mobile data will also use up some power. The high screen brightness that you mention may also contribute.

Were you in an area of good cell signal? If the signal was poor, that will also cause more battery drain.

trexs7e

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Taking pictures can use up a decent amount of battery, especially if you're using HDR all the time (since it takes extra CPU power to process HDR). If you have Google Photos Auto Backup turned on and set to upload over wi-fi or mobile data, then the constant uploading over your mobile data will also use up some power. The high screen brightness that you mention may also contribute.

Were you in an area of good cell signal? If the signal was poor, that will also cause more battery drain.

i wasnt taking pictures for a long time. just a few pictures here and there. nothing too much. and cell signal is decent.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Seeing some battery stats would be helpful. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen, if possible--tap the smaller graph to see if it becomes fullscreen.
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The camera could have taxed it some but being outside with "Auto" on can put the screen to a brightness that a user can't even set (very high) so you can see it in sunlight. This could very well drain the battery more.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been outside all day with my S7 Edge as I'm on holiday in Malta taking loads of pictures and videos. So I have been working the phone hard today whilst it is roaming in a foreign country as I move about on busses with varying levels of signal and I'm very happy with. Still have 46% left as I hey back to my hotel so it'll last the night too.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Normal.

Don't forget these people who get 5-8 hours of SoT don't actually USE their phones. They just keep the screen on scrolling through Twitter sitting at home on WiFi with no location services, no camera, nothing.

US S7 Edge battery life is good, but not as good as it could be (Exynos International version). I find it lasts a good 50% longer than my Note 5 or S6 Edge Plus, but those phones drained like crazy.

Still 50% less real world battery life than my iPhone 6S Plus.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget these people who get 5-8 hours of SoT don't actually USE their phones. They just keep the screen on scrolling through Twitter sitting at home on WiFi with no location services, no camera, nothing.

That isn't always true or fair to say. I have hit 5-6 hours SoT before and I leave everything on.

Now not saying SoT really isn a good measurement for battery anyway though but you can hit good times without "padding" :).

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
That isn't always true or fair to say. I have hit 5-6 hours SoT before and I leave everything on.

Now not saying SoT really isn a good measurement for battery anyway though but you can hit good times without "padding" :).

I can sit at home with my S7 Edge and just leave the screen looking at Reddit and it will drain at about 10% per hour. That's 8 hours SoT.

In a normal day outside going to work, streaming audio, some pics and some nav, I'd be lucky to get 3 hours.

SoT is pretty worthless as an indicator of battery life because the screen actually doesn't use much power.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can sit at home with my S7 Edge and just leave the screen looking at Reddit and it will drain at about 10% per hour. That's 8 hours SoT.

I know you can pad SoT -- didn't say you couldn't did I? ;). I said there are some of us who get good SoT without doing that. I for one am against turning everything off to squeeze out a little more battery.. I have no fear of plugging in if need be.

I have hit 5-6 hours. My average is around 4 hours with 1d + on the battery which to me is very reasonable.

trexs7e

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Seeing some battery stats would be helpful. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen, if possible--tap the smaller graph to see if it becomes fullscreen.
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

thanks. i ll try to post a shot after a days use

trexs7e

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The camera could have taxed it some but being outside with "Auto" on can put the screen to a brightness that a user can't even set (very high) so you can see it in sunlight. This could very well drain the battery more.

yeah. the brightness was pretty much on highest the whole time

trexs7e

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I've been outside all day with my S7 Edge as I'm on holiday in Malta taking loads of pictures and videos. So I have been working the phone hard today whilst it is roaming in a foreign country as I move about on busses with varying levels of signal and I'm very happy with. Still have 46% left as I hey back to my hotel so it'll last the night too.

what was your brightness level? or auto?

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
what was your brightness level? or auto?

Brightness was at Auto. And as it has been sunny all day it has been on max when I've been using it. Saying that I do have it in a belt case when I'm not using it so the screen is off when it's in there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
SoT is pretty worthless as an indicator of battery life because the screen actually doesn't use much power.

I disagree here--Screen is often near the top of the battery list if it's been on a lot, so it still uses a substantial amount of power. But it's also true that if all you're doing is keeping the screen on to watch a video, without doing anything else, screen-on time will be higher than with normal use (i.e., switching back and forth between apps). That's why battery life tests that manufacturers report can be misleading--they're just seeing how long it takes for the battery to die if the phone is only playing a video.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The screen will definitely eat a lot of power in bright conditions as would a 100w light bulb over a 60w. If you're in an area of bad signal it will also use a lot more battery, as will using mobile data over wifi.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty