Screen Doesn't Turn Off - Ignores Timeout Option

ChazTyldsley

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I can't for the life of me work out why this is happening. Never used to be an issue but started about a week ago (potentially after a recent update, not sure). The screen never times out, doesn't matter if it's charging or not. It's set to 1 minute, but it just doesn't take that option into consideration. Tried 15 seconds, no difference, just stays on unless I lock the phone manually.

Doesn't matter if it's on the lock screen or home screen, it won't time out. Smart Stay is off. Keep the screen on whilst charging in dev options is off.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I would guess you have an app keeping the screen on. Google Maps can do that it its set. Have you tried rebooting?

Rebooting actually seemed to solve it - thanks! Can't believe I didn't try the old "turn it off and back on again" trick. Sometimes you forget just how long your phone has been 'on' for.

Edit - So I thought it was fixed... but now it's doing it again only an hour later. No idea what it could be, I haven't opened up Maps or anything like that.

Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You might try turning all your notifications off and see if that helps. Trouble if it does, you then have to figure out who the bad guy is. I'd give a shout to Samsung support and see what they suggest.

ericdrum

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Let me know if you find out what app is the culprit. I've had this problem happening to me for around 3 weeks and I've finally had enough and am trying to isolate who the culprit is. I personally think it's one of the games that I'm currently playing.

efmbrito

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Go to car mode app and see if there is an update for inside. After that update the problem disappeared.

Last edited:

Carmelo Rotulo

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I can't for the life of me work out why this is happening. Never used to be an issue but started about a week ago (potentially after a recent update, not sure). The screen never times out, doesn't matter if it's charging or not. It's set to 1 minute, but it just doesn't take that option into consideration. Tried 15 seconds, no difference, just stays on unless I lock the phone manually.

Doesn't matter if it's on the lock screen or home screen, it won't time out. Smart Stay is off. Keep the screen on whilst charging in dev options is off.

I had the same problem was just about to send in to get fixed then it hit me... I downloaded a bunch of apps few weeks ago so I started to uninstal and BOOM problem solved.
Do you have pokemon go?
Get rid of it!!!
Works looked new now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Khirsch2015

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Get rid of pokemon go or any other app you down loaded in last 3 weeks.
Works fine now.

Can't believe it! This has been driving me nuts for weeks and draining my battery like crazy! I've tried everything and taken my phone to AT&T which was the most useless help I could get. Deleting pokemon go fixed it lol! Haven't played it since the summer. Thank yall!

fastvx

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem too, but I havent installed any new apps recently and I dont have pokemon installed.
I have had this problem before, and I had to factory reset my phone, now my S7 acting up again and I have no idea how to resolve this.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

tin425guy

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I have been having this same problem for about a week and finally was able to fix it. It was an app running in the background that was not allowing the screen to time out. If you go into Settings, System, Developer options, Running Services. I was able to identify an app that was running called Photo Color that i never use. I disabled the app and the problem resoved itself immediately and the screen timout started working correctly. About an hour later I went noticed the problem had started up again. I went back and checked the running services and the app was back and running againg so i removed the app completely and have had no problems since. It could be a different app causing your problem so look for 3rd party aps that might be running that you never use and try disabling to see if that fixes the problem. It might take disapeing a few apps before you figure out which one is causing the problem. Hope this helps.

Chinmay Samant

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Try clearing data of newly used some apps
i cleaned data of InstaSquare.

And I cleaned data of Samsung S Heath data and disabled it.

i feel S Heath was a culprit.
Now things are working fine with me

Minxyliz

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Google photos was the culprit for me.
Disabled it and it worked.

Taken me weeks to work this out. Tried googling and nothing.
The guy in the o2 shop reckoned I needed to factory reset. Got my phone ready to do so after backing everything up and thought I'd give it another Google and found this thread.
Went back to system>apps and saw this app 'photos' wasn't sure what it was. But I had shuffed it in a Google folder which is normally where I put my apps from these rubbish add on updates. Turns out Google is saving my photos. (Another privacy invasion by Google) so I have disabled the app. Reset my phone and all of sudden my phone is auto turning of again. Yay!!!

Khirsch2015

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Soooo the PokemonGo thing worked initially...

Then it started up again and wouldn't time out. My phone was also charging extremely slowly at times and draining battery ridiculously fast.
I sent it in to get fixed under warranty - they replaced my screen and my charging port and sent it back...

Worked like a charm for a few weeks and now the screen is not timing out again.. and battery life kind of sucks also.

I use a lot of widgets for like emails and schedules.. that may be causing the bad battery life and no timeout on the screen but I really have no idea.

Think I will call Samsung again... honestly shouldn't have to worry about these simple things on such a nice phone just bc I have some apps downloaded... wish I knew which app it was causing the problem!

Khirsch2015

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
I tried checking out some of the settings that were mentioned in comments above to see what apps are running... but since the update all the settings and menus are set up differently so I don't know how to find what apps are running currently that could be causing the problem..

Craith

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Don't know if people found a fix for this yet but I had the same problem only on my google pixel, seemed that icoyote was the app ignoring the time out. Looking at the earlier reports it seems that it's mostly apps that are using a gps signal that are causing the problem.

Nirali Dundh

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Try clearing data of newly used some apps
i cleaned data of InstaSquare.

And I cleaned data of Samsung S Heath data and disabled it.

i feel S Heath was a culprit.
Now things are working fine with me

You saved my life.... it was definately insta square. i uninstalled the application. it just started sleeping, did not even have to reboot my phone.

Stamper62714

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
I googled it and if you hold down the power button and turn phone off when the Samsung logo comes up hit the volume down aarow until it is off and reboots, then when it restarts it will fix the issue, I tested it and it fixed my issue