Darker 'translucent' Lines When I Change Brightness On My Galaxy S7 Edge

Salim Omer

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm having same problem.. Just picked my phone yesterday and I noticed the lines.. No water no drop.. About month old phone with this critical issue.. Thank God I didn't root my phone yet.. Have full insurance.. See what will that do :3

Shayne Villanueva

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi to all! I have same problem 3 days ago. Amd i was so disappointed. What i do is day after, i went to the shop where i bought it and they said it is still umder ther warranty coz its just 6 months since i boight it. But i get sad coz i need to hand them my mobole for 15days. And i cannot do that. Coz they told me everything will be erased. Amd i dont have another phone to transfer the daata and files so i decided not to give for repair. I went home and usualy place my mobile behind my pillow so when alarm come i can hear quickly. Middle of the night i woked up and checked the te on my mobile. And i feel likey mobile is hot and only 5% so what i do is i charge it but for 15mims it doesnt charged well it become 4% and getting more hot. I have a leather case that im using its free from where i bought the mobile. I try to remove the leather case and charge. After 2 hours it gets full charge. Not hot. And the lines disappear. I try yo dim and full the light of my mobile and nothing seems to appear for this line. I get soo happy. Try this. Maybe u guys have non-veltilated case. Remove it and free ur mobile. Hope it will help u

Omer90

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

so I have been desperately trying to look EVERYWHERE on the internet about my problem and I have had zero luck, so hopefully someone on here can lead me in the right direction.

At the more towards end of April I bought a Galaxy S7 Edge, I was really excited about it sense I have been an avid iPhone user and I wasn't happy at all w/ my iPhone 6 Plus. (I digress) Everything was working perfectly... until about 2 weeks ago.

As I was using my Facebook app, my phone froze for only 3 seconds (first time the phone even froze at all on me) and then right after that I saw I had these thick, dark, 'translucent' lines across my phone screen and it only works when I have the phone turned on full brightness and they only show up when I'm trying to change the brightness setting.

Side note: I HATE having my phone on full brightness (O_O like holy shet I'm blind yo).

I thought it was odd so I rebooted the phone, and they were still there, I started to panic a bit as it was a new phone but I was way past the 15 return policy.

So basically my question is: Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you have to do? Where you able to fix it yourself or did you have to take it in to your mobile phone carrier's store? Or did you have to talk to Samsung?

ANY info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you :)

I totally removed my screen unhooking all the grips and placed it back it worked for me. All the lines are gone.

Dantheman_pirate

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Ok ppl. I have a temporary fix for you it involves downloading 2 apps. Mines been doing the darker horizontal translucent lines for a while. Its all well and good when auto brightness is set to full, but not at night.... Burns the retinas. Ok. Firstly its caused because samsung made a waterproof phone with no air vents on the s7 edge, whats happened is at some point your phone overheated (mine sitting in the cradle on the window driving to brisbane in the sun), your graphics chip is fried partically. What Ive read its quite common obvious if you are in this forum. In an ideal world we'd all have samsung repair dealers nearby but i dont, they want me to be without my phone for 4 to 6 weeks and send it off in a sachel, nah. I'll wait till Im in a city with a repair dealer nearby. Whats annoying is during the day you can deal with auto on full (apart from battery usage until u walk inside then you get them bloody shaded lines again and have to turn your brightness up again until another changing in room light. Ok before I tell u all my fix, and it works, i must warn u to follow my instructions carefully, because u could end up not being able to see your screen if u dont remember the number 30 is minimum with the first app ill tell u about.... the first app to download is lower brightness... do not put it any less than 30 because if all else fails and your brightness goes right down you can find a dark closet and adjust you normal fone brightness to full from your notification screen. To prevent this changing all the time and so auto brightness can stay on all the time and act as though the box in auto brightness isnt ticked, although it is in the notification bar... download an app called brighness control, set everything to 100, put the widget on your screen in a position you will remember where it is, just in case anything goes wrong with the first app i told u about.
I hope Ive helped you all out. With these 2 apps you can leave the normal brightness on full on auto and control it through the app lower brightness which will be located on the notification pull down screen. If your like me and leave your phone on all the time and charge before the battery runs out, this is a set and forget process. Im laying in bed in the dark right now telling you all what ive learnt through trial and error and not burning my retinas out or seeing any imperfections in my screen.
You are all welcome

Charles Boey

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Created this account just to post this. Brand new edge 7 phone used for 2 months and got this problem today. I had a s3 before, ditched the phone after i had serious problems charging it. Went for Sony z3 and was super happy with it, until i cracked the screen. Decided to give Samsung a try again, thinking they learned their lesson (on producing subpar phones). Guess not. Good job samsung . At least they are consistent in delivering subpar phones

Last edited:

lazers

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine did the same thing after 2.5 months and I can surely say it never over heated. Plus it showed me these lines in evening and lines were there till I went to sleep. Got up in the morning and the behavior was random for first 2 Hrs, line sometimes displayed and sometimes not. However, after that it again became consistent. Now phone is gone back in warranty and now I am waiting on them.

This is my first Samsung phone, previously I used HTC only. Generally the phone is very good but the fiasco with Note 7 and now S7 tells me quality has gone way down.

Richard Geeson

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Created this account just to post this. Brand new edge 7 phone used for 2 months and got this problem today. I had a s3 before, ditched the phone after i had serious problems charging it. Went for Sony z3 and was super happy with it, until i cracked the screen. Decided to give Samsung a try again, thinking they learned their lesson (on producing subpar phones). Guess not. Good job samsung . At least they are consistent in delivering subpar phones

Last edited:

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
"Go to phone and dial *#0*#

Opens a test interface. Click between red green and blue until the line goes away. "

Someone else found the above. Worth a try, perhaps it works.

Samsnung13457

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
"Go to phone and dial *#0*#

Opens a test interface. Click between red green and blue until the line goes away. "

Someone else found the above. Worth a try, perhaps it works.

I fixed mine. I turned on auto brightnedd and then while autobrightness is on i dragged th screen brigness dot (thing) all the way to full brightness (auto brightness is still on) and the lines went away.

Let me know if this works!!

Michael Kouvas

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
It works!! Thank you! But what happens if I just use this app forever and don't do anything to actually fix the phone. Do you think problems will arise? http://forums.androidcentral.com/members/adriano180-2868232/

Last edited:

Michael Kouvas

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
After 4 weeks of purchasing Galaxy s7 edge I have experienced same problem, and I have found a solution. It is a kind of workaround, but it works. Normally, I would send phone to Samsung to fix it, but I am so busy person that I do not have time for this, and smartphone is my working area, two weeks without it is a nightmare.

As you probably now, if you change the brightness to 100% it works fine, you do not see black/grey stripes, so what I did, I have used Twilight application to change screen settings. So in the system I have 100% brightness, and in the application I have following settings (sorry it is in Polish, but I believe everyone will figure out the settings):

http://images83.fotosik.pl/89/3162a5919d58a43cmed.png

With this configuration it works perfectly fine, and you will not notice something wrong is with the screen. Of course this solution is only for few weeks, because you still have broken phone, which finally needs to to be fixed by Samsung.

To be honest with you, Samsung for me is now going only for money, nothing else. What happened with Galaxy Note 7, they wanted to earn as much as the could, but finally the lost. What I think... Karma exist and Samsung noticed that.

It works!! Thank you! But what happens if I just use this app forever and don't do anything to actually fix the phone. Do you think problems will arise?

matey57

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
I dialed the *#0*# code and saw the test interface, but what does "Click between red green and blue until the line goes away" actually mean? A series of many boxes appears on the test interface. Three of them are marked 'Red', 'Green' and 'Blue'. If you touch the 'Red' box, the screen goes red, with the dark lines across it. If you touch the screen again, it returns to the test interface. The same thing happens when you touch the 'Green' and 'Blue' boxes. There is NO change to the 4 dark lines. What do you mean?

jerah77

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Temp fix for grey bars (when adjusting screen brightness) on Samsung S7 Edge display.

Download Twilight blue light filter app.
Set to always on
Set phone to auto adjust brightness
Use Twilight app to adjust brightness

Notes:
Sometimes phone will auto adjust brightness so you'll have to readjust. This may happen quite frequently but once you get fast at adjusting it this way it's better than seeing the grey bars!
Also some apps won't let you run it while you're trying to do certain things so a message will pop up. Swipe notification bar down, pause Twilight, finish what you're doing, then resume Twilight.

Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing if this works or if anything else works for you.

*This problem went away on its own but then I had to factory reset my device and the problem eventually came back. Twilight so far is the best temp fix I've found.

WoodyRobdog

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys just to give you all some hope, this problem reared it's ugly head on my month old s7 edge. Samsung tried to sort it with all sorts of resets and tests but all failed . They also refused to fix my phone free of charge because there was a hairline crack on the back glass. !!!! I gave up trying to sort the issue and just used my phone at full brightness......6 weeks later it has fixed itself !!!! I am not sure how or why but it is now back to normal. I just hope it stays like this now as my retinas can't take much more burning.

Egemen Candir

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
The problem might be Samsung's Game Center app. I remember that my stripe problem started a couple of hours after I used power saving option in game center. Today, I updated the app. I didn't realize the stripes disappeared (I was using Twilight) until later but it looks like they're gone. I suggest updating the app to check for yourself as well.

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just have one question, is it posible that the problem is software and not hardware????? I think that because the problem seem to "solved" via installing an app, the twilight one, and there's no problem when we run the app, so I'm thinking to upgrade to nougat beta, do you guys think that it can fix the problem or it is really hardware issue.

aiden1408

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
The problem is hardware, not software. There are temporary fixes, like turning the brightness to max, but your LCD is still faulty.
If you get these lines, or just simple few pixel wide horizontal / vertical lines, call Samsung, or the place where you bought it from, and book it for repair (screen replacement). Probably they will ask you to do hard reset, and things like that, but it wont work, repair required. This goes for S7 and S7 Edge also.
As a side note, your phone should be "In Warranty" condition, so no cracks on the screen or back glass, no liquid damage, etc., because those will make your phone out of warranty, and you have to pay for the repair costs. Even if the LCD is genuinely faulty, but you have a small crack on the back glass, they wont do it until you pay.