I was wrong

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
That's why I usually compare it with the device uptime. It helps to understand how the phone is being used.

If the SOT is pretty close to the device uptime, then the device has been used for quite a while. If it is lower compared to the uptime, it is likely used in a light manner.

Back to this for a minute. The new generation of processors from Qualcomm, Apple, Samsung and Huawei (maybe others that I haven't been able to try) are pretty slick.

They do everything they can to stay in a low-power state, and most times that's still plenty "powerful" enough to do smartphone things. But when they have to ramp it up, they get blazing hot and eat the battery like never before. There was a fellow in these forums who got a G5 early, and had some pretty amazing battery stats. Nobody believed him, even when he showed his data. Got me curious and i did some testing.

When apps like games are running, they eat more battery than they used to. Most other apps and services just sip the battery, including streaming video. The screen tech has been tamed, and backlighting on LCDs or RGB pixels on AMOLED don't eat battery like they used to. Most of this has trickled down to the last gen (810, 808 and last-years Exynos CPUs) as well, so a lot of it is software or kernel based.

This also create a new problem. When a runaway process keeps the CPU ramped on one or more cores, it eats way more battery than it normally should. Because we get used to the way normal processes are gentle on the battery, we notice it. It also makes the phones pretty hot, and even insulated glass back can get warm enough to make us concerned.

What we need to try to do to troubleshoot high battery drain is look at the apps that are running. Unfortunately, many of the problems are system services that are locked open, and show up as Android OS or System or Google Play services. Those three things do nothing on their own, and will have zero affect on the battery if something isn't using them. This is most evident on the GS7. If you shut off all the Samsung "stuff" your Android OS and system battery use will be close to zero. Turn it back on, and Samsung apps and the keyboard and the calendar and the address book and Samsung Pay put Android OS and System back at the top of the battery list.

It will take some smart people to figure it all out.

Also — how far off-topic can we take this thread? LOL Sorry OP.

Michael MCATEE

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Back to this for a minute. The new generation of processors from Qualcomm, Apple, Samsung and Huawei (maybe others that I haven't been able to try) are pretty slick.

They do everything they can to stay in a low-power state, and most times that's still plenty "powerful" enough to do smartphone things. But when they have to ramp it up, they get blazing hot and eat the battery like never before. There was a fellow in these forums who got a G5 early, and had some pretty amazing battery stats. Nobody believed him, even when he showed his data. Got me curious and i did some testing.

When apps like games are running, they eat more battery than they used to. Most other apps and services just sip the battery, including streaming video. The screen tech has been tamed, and backlighting on LCDs or RGB pixels on AMOLED don't eat battery like they used to. Most of this has trickled down to the last gen (810, 808 and last-years Exynos CPUs) as well, so a lot of it is software or kernel based.

This also create a new problem. When a runaway process keeps the CPU ramped on one or more cores, it eats way more battery than it normally should. Because we get used to the way normal processes are gentle on the battery, we notice it. It also makes the phones pretty hot, and even insulated glass back can get warm enough to make us concerned.

What we need to try to do to troubleshoot high battery drain is look at the apps that are running. Unfortunately, many of the problems are system services that are locked open, and show up as Android OS or System or Google Play services. Those three things do nothing on their own, and will have zero affect on the battery if something isn't using them. This is most evident on the GS7. If you shut off all the Samsung "stuff" your Android OS and system battery use will be close to zero. Turn it back on, and Samsung apps and the keyboard and the calendar and the address book and Samsung Pay put Android OS and System back at the top of the battery list.

It will take some smart people to figure it all out.

Also — how far off-topic can we take this thread? LOL Sorry OP.

I have no problem with this discussion Jerry.. Your providing important information about what we all love.

As to anyone not understanding why I posted this... It wasn't to say that I am leaving.. It was to admit that I was wrong through my own ignorance... And some here including Jerry have enlightened me...so no harm, no foul. I only passed on why I decided to switch phones and what I was getting...

I think that Samsung will certainly be looking at making the s8 and the s8e better regardless of which chipset is used by the US carriers..

A interesting thing (at least for my own personal usage) has come out of this is now I have a great set of aptX HD Bluetooth headset as a result of this fiasco. Like I said before... The AT&T management and staff that helped me got me into the new LG Platinum series of Bluetooth headsets at a greatly reduced price... They sound awesome and should help for any future purchase of cell phone... Again I can thank Jerry for pointing out this technology to me and got me looking in the right places about it..

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 229897

Nexus 6P while reading a long eBook.

Don't get hung up on screen on time. It doesn't mean much anymore.
IMO doesn't really prove a point, unless the reader understands that two phones are setup differently. Reading an ebook for 10hrs would use up less battery than playing a 1080p video for 10hrs. Context would still be required.

Someone's usage may allow a Nexus 6P to run that long, but when setup for another person, may not even last half that.

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Understandable.

In that case, know that while the G5 is a little better, it's still not as good as the previous models. The HTC 10 and LG V10 have incredible audio, but suffer from other issues. The Nexus phones have mediocre audio — better than the S7, but not anything close to great. Same goes for the iPhones. They're OK, but not amazing.

It's tough buying a phone and finding just the right mix of features you want. Here's hoping the next Note gets close.

What issues does the V10 suffer?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth audio skips the digital to analog conversion done by the Snapdragon 820. A BT unit — whether it be a car head unit or a set of headphones — has its own converter and amp, and even an average setup is better than the DAC on the S7. In fact, some BT headphones have really good DAC and amp packages in them, and the only limitation is because BT uses lossy compressed files.

The S7 uses the latest version of the Bluetooth stack and APT-X, so Bluetooth audio is really good. The complaints are from folks like me who use high-end headphones that plug into the 3.5mm jack. Samsung just didn't do enough on the mainboard to compensate for electrical noise and the audio is pretty crummy on the Snapdragon 820 models.

Jerry, the above raises an interesting question: could the fact that "Samsung just didn't do enough on the mainboard to compensate for electrical noise" be responsible for the noises this guy ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...97-noise-when-listening-offline-fm-radio.html ) hears when he uses an FM Radio app with his S7?

Reminds me way back in the late 70's I had a Texas Instruments TI-59 programmable calculator which, if I held it close to my FM clock radio while it was running a program would induce all sorts of crazy noise into the clock radio.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
What issues does the V10 suffer?

LG's software
Horrendous record of critical OTA updates
More of the same LG mainboard issues (see bootloop threads)

Jerry, the above raises an interesting question: could the fact that "Samsung just didn't do enough on the mainboard to compensate for electrical noise" be responsible for the noises this guy ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...97-noise-when-listening-offline-fm-radio.html ) hears when he uses an FM Radio app with his S7?

Reminds me way back in the late 70's I had a Texas Instruments TI-59 programmable calculator which, if I held it close to my FM clock radio while it was running a program would induce all sorts of crazy noise into the clock radio.

Maybe. I was thinking of the internal circuitry needed for driving a clean signal, though.

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LG's software
Horrendous record of critical OTA updates
More of the same LG mainboard issues (see bootloop threads)

Maybe. I was thinking of the internal circuitry needed for driving a clean signal, though.
I realize that all these posts are somewhat dated, and I since made I have a June /July.... Thanks for sharing all your techie insider knowledge Jerry. It really was amazing to read your posts and you've truly helped me better understand the sophistication of these devices and how they really tick!! Again Thanks.

I've been using a G5 for the past couple of months, and so far so good. Security updates via AT&T are quite regular too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty