Why bother with the S7 Edge now that there is the Note 7

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Really, deciding between both boils down to this.

The Note7 is for those who really use the S Pen, want a slightly bigger screen, more storage and some of the new features, but it's mainly the S Pen.

The S7e is for those who don't want an S Pen but still want a bigger screen. It's also cheaper than the Note and does have a slightly larger battery, though by a mere 100mAh.

In a nutshell, Note7 if you can afford it and really use the S Pen. S7e if you don't want an S Pen but still want a large display at a lower price.

For me, I'm going with the Note7 mainly due to the S Pen and some other nice stuff, but to those who don't really use the S Pen, I may be more inclined to recommend the S7 edge, unless they really want that 0.2" increase in screen size.

PS: Some people still don't know this, but the main reason the Note's battery is slightly smaller is because the S Pen slot takes up quite a bit of space.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm could return my S7e for a Note 7 right now if I wanted. I'm not going to because:

-Battery life is huge for me. That extra battery size and smaller display in the S7e is glorious.

-$80 premium over S7e

-Extra stylus I won't use (and yes, I've owned Notes previously)

-Preferable form factor and looks in S7e.

Yeah same here if I hadn't brought the S7 Edge I would think of note 7...
But just for S pen I would like to spend extra bugs..I have owned most of all note series from note 1,2 ,4 very happy with my S7 edge...
Note specs are very similar to s7 edge..note 7 is more targeted to note fans and mainly who dint upgrade from note 4 to note 5 would love the note 7. Wonder what would be the Indian launch price ?

posted from Limited red and gold Lumia 950, Beautiful S7 Edge gold or Surface pro 4

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I am sticking with my edge- normally i jump to the note but have decided i really like the size and the sleekness of this phone. Besides i never even used my Spens when i had the notes... never really had to. I will wait and see what the S series offers in the spring... cause it will blow the iphone away i know that much for sure 😀

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
wish I did buy stock in them long ago, lol. Appreciate all of the opinions although for me now that I've seen the comparisons I'm not understanding how a 4mm taller device or nominally smaller battery could make a difference given some of the updated or additional features...but that's my opinion. Obviously Samsung doesn't agree with me and they are more likely to side with you i.e. they do in fact see differentiation beyond the spen hence the two models. I do think that if I were vested in a s7e the n7 wouldn't be a worthy upgrade.

I think the benefits you posted upthread, for only 40 or 50 more bucks, are only benefits if I would use/appreciate them. While I would get some extra stuff on the N7, it by and large is stuff that doesn't appeal to me. Even the bigger screen is more a negative than a positive for my tastes.

Trust me, I can be wooed by a shiny new releaee!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Really, deciding between both boils down to this.

The Note7 is for those who really use the S Pen, want a slightly bigger screen, more storage and some of the new features, but it's mainly the S Pen.

The S7e is for those who don't want an S Pen but still want a bigger screen. It's also cheaper than the Note and does have a slightly larger battery, though by a mere 100mAh.

In a nutshell, Note7 if you can afford it and really use the S Pen. S7e if you don't want an S Pen but still want a large display at a lower price.

For me, I'm going with the Note7 mainly due to the S Pen and some other nice stuff, but to those who don't really use the S Pen, I may be more inclined to recommend the S7 edge, unless they really want that 0.2" increase in screen size.

PS: Some people still don't know this, but the main reason the Note's battery is slightly smaller is because the S Pen slot takes up quite a bit of space.

Battery life is another reason to choose the S7E. Its why I have it instead of the S7. I have all the Edge-y stuff turned off.

The ergonomic changes do intrigue me a bit. I find the Edge really difficult to hold comfortably and securely without a case.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
1. For people with small hands, the Edge is easier to hold and use.
2. I really don't think I'd use the stylus much.
3. The Note really isn't superior to the Edge in terms of performance or features (except for the pen).
4. The Edge is a good bit cheaper.

I would like to try the new software UI, though.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I went to Best Buy to compare phones. For me, Note 7 is S7Edge with iris scanner and pen. The display is slightly smaller, I mean very slightly. I had every Note from 1-5, this note just doesn't speak to me. The Note used to be so much superior to the S series, but no so much anymore.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
New to Android and have a S7 Edge being delivered today but thinking of returning it.

Based on the slightly updated specs of the Note 7 e.g gorilla 5, slightly larger screen, USB-C and the overall size has been shrunk down to be similar to that of the Edge why wouldn't someone go for the N7 over the Edge even if you never use the spen?

For an upgrade I don't see what the benefit of having the Edge is now when you can get the Note?

I was going to get the Note7, but I thought about it and decided I'm not going to. Those few extra features in the Note7 that aren't present in the S7 edge aren't worth paying full retail, IMO.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I'll wake for the S8 to come out next year and compare the two.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Chill out -- he is allowed to ask questions just like anyone else :).

Lol, no kidding. That's what this forum is for.

I think that Samsung has done such a great job on the S7 edge, there's not as much incentive to get the Note series. It really depends on how much you need the S-pen, which in my case, is zero.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thinking it's time to move on from my 4 years of exclusively using Nexus devices and have enjoyed points and counterpoints from this thread.

One thing I think bears consideration is the promotional inclusion of a 256gb card with the n7... I don't anticipate I'd use the stylus much, so would lean towards the s7e, but I could opt to sell that card for probably around $150 pretty easily making the n7 actually considerably less expensive. Thoughts?

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
The Note7 may offer slight advantages to the S7E, but that would only be significant if you were used to the Note features (S-pen). If not, the S7E is a great option.

For me, I have an S7E and I don't want/need to waste money on a Note7 given that I don't use the features it offers over the S7E. I had a Note4 and didn't use any of the note-specific stuff after the first week.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I would want a Note 7 over my S7e would be if the Note 7 had the new Grace UX exclusively.

Posted via my Black S7 Edge

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I just can't believe Samsung would make a larger phone with a smaller battery. It is something apple is notorious for = not making any sense!

I did hear that it can be due to the s-pen taking up some internal space, but the note series was always known to have the biggest and best battery.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I think it would have been wise to make the Note a little thicker and add a battery equal to or slightly larger than the S7 edge, but what do I know? 😕

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
New to Android and have a S7 Edge being delivered today but thinking of returning it.

Based on the slightly updated specs of the Note 7 e.g gorilla 5, slightly larger screen, USB-C and the overall size has been shrunk down to be similar to that of the Edge why wouldn't someone go for the N7 over the Edge even if you never use the spen?

For an upgrade I don't see what the benefit of having the Edge is now when you can get the Note?

I'm personally not a fan of USB C. Not easy to find good cables.

And the S7 edge is still a great phone. The note 7 is basically a s7 edge with an spen.

I plan to get a note 7 but I always get the notes. I like the spen and miss it. I got this phone because my note 5 crapped out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm personally not a fan of USB C. Not easy to find good cables.

And the S7 edge is still a great phone. The note 7 is basically a s7 edge with an spen.

I plan to get a note 7 but I always get the notes. I like the spen and miss it. I got this phone because my note 5 crapped out.

It is pretty easy to find good USB-C cables. I find them easily on Amazon.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It is pretty easy to find good USB-C cables. I find them easily on Amazon.

Even the good ones don't do what they're supposed to sometimes though. I've bought Anker A to C cables that can't charge devices so I'm still stuck with the one that came in the box as the only option.

Micro USB just works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa