Why bother with the S7 Edge now that there is the Note 7

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
New to Android and have a S7 Edge being delivered today but thinking of returning it.

Based on the slightly updated specs of the Note 7 e.g gorilla 5, slightly larger screen, USB-C and the overall size has been shrunk down to be similar to that of the Edge why wouldn't someone go for the N7 over the Edge even if you never use the spen?

For an upgrade I don't see what the benefit of having the Edge is now when you can get the Note?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If I were buying on contract or paying full price, I would absolutely get the Note 7 over the S7 Edge.

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
It's basically a slightly updated version of the S7edge with a stylus and USB-C. Looks like Samsung will have to heavily discount the S7edge to move them off store shelves. Nevertheless I'm still happy with my S7edge since I did the BOGO deal from At&t.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
yeah, if you have not got the S7 Edge yet, then you should return it and get the Note 7.

I have had the S7 Edge since launch. I was fully planning on getting the Note 7 until i saw it was just the same phone. The stylus would be nice, but not worth the cost of switching really. My S7 Edge still runs like a champ though

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the purpose of releasing the Note 7 now honestly. I feel like they should have waited to do a slight spec bump to differentiate. It kind of cannibalizes their sales of the S7 Edge. I feel like they should have released something that people who are Samsung fans but have not bought the S7 or S7E yet would buy instead because of the differences. The Iris scanner is a cool feature but I like the fingerprint reader better honestly as I am not always looking directly at my phone when I unlock it, and so I would likely just use the FP Scanner. I think the Note 7 will be a good seller and I think it will be quite the phone, but I am not convinced it is much more of an upgrade than the S7E. I will of course have to play with it to get my full opinion and will still probably plot to get it.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the purpose of releasing the Note 7 now honestly. I feel like they should have waited to do a slight spec bump to differentiate. It kind of cannibalizes their sales of the S7 Edge. I feel like they should have released something that people who are Samsung fans but have not bought the S7 or S7E yet would buy instead because of the differences. The Iris scanner is a cool feature but I like the fingerprint reader better honestly as I am not always looking directly at my phone when I unlock it, and so I would likely just use the FP Scanner. I think the Note 7 will be a good seller and I think it will be quite the phone, but I am not convinced it is much more of an upgrade than the S7E. I will of course have to play with it to get my full opinion and will still probably plot to get it.

I don't think the note 7 is meant for people that have the s7 edge, that doesn't make any sense. The note 5 had the same specs as the s6 with a slight bump in ram thats it.
With phones like the moto g running marshmallow there's no reason to upgrade the hardware yet.
That being said, the 2016 Nexus might have that new 821 soc which again isn't going to break records aside from AnTuTu lol which to be honest is quite pointless.

Posted via the Android Central App

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
S7 Edge is still beautiful, utilizes the bezels and curves really well making a large phone look smaller and for very well to work with your hands.

And, if you are not a S-Pen user, paying that premium for those features doesn't make sense.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Given the smaller battery, identical processor, and larger size of the Note 7, I'd say that the S7 edge will probably get better battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize it was a smaller battery. Guess they had to make room for the stylus and iris scanner somehow.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Given the smaller battery, identical processor, and larger size of the Note 7, I'd say that the S7 edge will probably get better battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

I specifically chose the S7E over the S7 for the bigger battery (I have the edgy stuff turned off). So, no, a smaller battery is no upgrade to me.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I specifically chose the S7E over the S7 for the bigger battery (I have the edgy stuff turned off). So, no, a smaller battery is no upgrade to me.

Surely 100mah wouldn't make an appreciable difference. For a bit larger screen I'd be happy to keep it on the charger for a few extra minutes.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I am happy that I got my S7 Edge. I've known about the possible Note upgrade when I purchased my S7 Edge and I am glad I went through with it. My youngest sister, however, wants the Note 7 (she currently owns an iPhone 5S) so for her, it's justifiable to get the Note (especially since she loves to draw). For what I use my phone for, the Note wouldn't have been practical. Sure, it's a slightly bigger screen than the S7 Edge, but the S7 Edge is already the largest screen size phone I have owned by far and, to be honest, it's a perfect size for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that every person has their preference. I love Samsung phones, but I prefer the S series over the Note while my sister would much rather have the Note over my edge. Samsung creates phones for pretty much every taste. It's good that they give people the option of choice.

tofu.

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
we have root on the s7/e now, though...

not sure how long it will take to see that on the note 7 unless another engineering kernel is leaked

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am happy that I got my S7 Edge. I've known about the possible Note upgrade when I purchased my S7 Edge and I am glad I went through with it. My youngest sister, however, wants the Note 7 (she currently owns an iPhone 5S) so for her, it's justifiable to get the Note (especially since she loves to draw). For what I use my phone for, the Note wouldn't have been practical. Sure, it's a slightly bigger screen than the S7 Edge, but the S7 Edge is already the largest screen size phone I have owned by far and, to be honest, it's a perfect size for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that every person has their preference. I love Samsung phones, but I prefer the S series over the Note while my sister would much rather have the Note over my edge. Samsung creates phones for pretty much every taste. It's good that they give people the option of choice.

If size is a criteria I would argue they are ostensibly undifferentiated. Accordingly, if a choice is available I don't know why one would choose the s7e since you're getting some additional trinkets on the n7. The price difference appears to be nominal.