Ditching iPhone for Samsung Galaxy s7 edge.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello.

I feel it's time for a change on phone make and model.

Q ,Best way to move contacts from my iPhone to Samsung.
SmartSwitch ?
Gmail ?
Other ?

Q, Stock browser or Google Chrome or another ?

Q, Stock Message App or another ~ I've been told Textra is good ?

Q, Is Nova one of the better options to use ?

Q, I read it's an idea to disable FlipBoard driefing ?

Any little tips to enhance usage , Battery tips / user experience greatly appreciated.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It's a matter of personal preference really. There are an enormous number of settings, tweaks and permissions even for an android, so tread carefully lest you disable things you need.
I use Nova launcher on all my phones, I find it's the best for my tastes.
Like the first poster said, you can disable almost any app and looking through permissions, you can deny nosy apps access to your info. You have a magnificent machine there, play with it, remember what you did last, so if things don't want to work, you can undo the last thing you did!! I also have a backpack battery case for mine, it makes the phone easier to hold and extends the battery time...
Have fun with your new toy!

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
It's a matter of personal preference really. There are an enormous number of settings, tweaks and permissions even for an android, so tread carefully lest you disable things you need.
I use Nova launcher on all my phones, I find it's the best for my tastes.
Like the first poster said, you can disable almost any app and looking through permissions, you can deny nosy apps access to your info. You have a magnificent machine there, play with it, remember what you did last, so if things don't want to work, you can undo the last thing you did!! I also have a backpack battery case for mine, it makes the phone easier to hold and extends the battery time...
Have fun with your new toy!

Thank you.

Hopefully I'll be purchasing one at the end of this month.

Nova launcher looks to be the one for me after watching some YouTube videos. Night mode looks awesome.

Do you use the supplied sms app or another one ?
Same with the internet app ? I prefer Chrome but am open to suggestions.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello.

I feel it's time for a change on phone make and model.

Q ,Best way to move contacts from my iPhone to Samsung.
SmartSwitch ?
Gmail ?
Other ?

Smart Switch works well.

Q, Stock browser or Google Chrome or another ?

I use both. The Samsung browser offers ad blocker support.

Q, Stock Message App or another ~ I've been told Textra is good ?

I use the Samsung app. Textra is good too but I've lost some messages before.

Q, Is Nova one of the better options to use ?

Nova is very good.

Q, I read it's an idea to disable FlipBoard driefing ?

Any little tips to enhance usage , Battery tips / user experience greatly appreciated.

To save battery, turn off Google Location history, sync, and use apps like Greenify.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't turn off anything. Defeats the purpose of buying a tip end smart device in the first place. While the battery life isn't what it was on first release, it's still plenty for the majority of users to get through a day and if you set up properly with chargers you'll never have a worry.

I've bluetooth always on, GPS on high accuracy, watch connected, auto brightness, all sync going, nothing disabled with Package Disabler and I still can get through a day fine. I've a wireless charger at home, on my desk at work, and in my car anyway, so with no effort at all I never even run close.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Made the same switch 11 days ago and couldn't be happier. Different OS but much better device all around. The iPhone 7 which will release in a week doesn't come close to the S7 devices.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi @pjw81

Like you I like to have as many features as possible.

I'm just looking at ways to fine tune the s7 edge to keep it as slick as possible.

I'd take a look at Package Disabler. I don't use it as most guides on what to disable and not to disable are geared towards US carrier models, but you may find it of some use.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't turn off anything. Defeats the purpose of buying a tip end smart device in the first place. While the battery life isn't what it was on first release, it's still plenty for the majority of users to get through a day and if you set up properly with chargers you'll never have a worry.

I've bluetooth always on, GPS on high accuracy, watch connected, auto brightness, all sync going, nothing disabled with Package Disabler and I still can get through a day fine. I've a wireless charger at home, on my desk at work, and in my car anyway, so with no effort at all I never even run close.

There is difference between turning it into dumb phone and one fine tuning for best battery life. Turning off sync is probably the former, and I wouldn't do that either. But things like google location history is really unnecessary for most people and it has big negative impact on stand by drain if enabled. I think most S7 users complaining on battery would be much happier by doing three things below and it will still work perfectly fine as smart-phone.

1. Google location history under location setting: This will constantly monitor your location and let your gmail contact track you location if they want. It could be useful in some instances, but I don't see any logic, point in constantly broadcasting my location to all my gmail contacts and killing my battery for that.

2. Improve accuracy: This is also under location setting in Samsung Galaxy phones. It used to be under WiFi setting like other android phones, but Samsung moved it to location since MM update. If WiFi, BT is checked there, it will always scan for those sources even when you toggle WiFi, BT off. Again I don't see the point of this and I want WiFi off if I want to. Location would still work fine with cellular radio and GPS if set to high accuracy. So unnecessary battery drain.

3. Smart network switch: Depending on the carrier, this setting might exist in WiFi or not. If enabled, it will constantly monitor relative strength of WiF and cellular data (LTE, 4G) and switch to the stronger one. But in my experience, having WiFi going on/off frequently as I move in building has bad impact on battery and interrupts data downloads too. Turn it off and phone will stay connected to WiFi until its signal goes below certain threshold. After that it will switch cellular data as you move far away from WiFi source. It should be just fine.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Location history might be unnecessary for most (it's vital for me) but just to note that you don't broadcast anything to your gmail contacts. Your location history is private.

Smith 001

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Never have such thought.My phone also has the night mode,but I never turn it on.just in case missing some important calls.
I bring a usb-charger on my bag when I'm at work,that's enough my phone will never shut down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez