S7 Edge Warranty on Water Damage

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung says water resistant... That means just that, it's not guaranteed to be water proof, it should resist water, but could let water intrude.
No, the IP68 rating is much more specific than that. You can immerse the phone to a depth of 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes, and it should keep all water out. If it doesn't, then it's not performing as advertised and you're not getting what you paid for.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
No, the IP68 rating is much more specific than that. You can immerse the phone to a depth of 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes, and it should keep all water out. If it doesn't, then it's not performing as advertised and you're not getting what you paid for.
That's true, but where does it say they guarantee it not to get wet inside. It's a rating not a guarantee.

FCSC

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
That's true, but where does it say they guarantee it not to get wet inside. It's a rating not a guarantee.

IP68 means it can either let water in and have no harmful effect or not let water in, that is up to Samsung to define. It however does not allow Samsung to say it has an IP68 rating, if testing under those conditions show the device to fail.

The WHOLE point of the rating system is so that companies can't falsely advertise with a catch all "water-proof". A specific rating saying exactly what the tested device can go through.

The real defense for samsung in these cases is that they can say previous drops impact a devices ability to withstand water intrustion, thus makine IP rating only valid for "virgin" devices essentially.

Samsung is getting out of a lot of the water warranty claims by not performing non-warranty fixes. So when people have to replace a broken screen, they go 3rd party, automatically voiding the warranty. Rather ingenious of them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
IP68 means it can either let water in and have no harmful effect or not let water in, that is up to Samsung to define. It however does not allow Samsung to say it has an IP68 rating, if testing under those conditions show the device to fail.

The WHOLE point of the rating system is so that companies can't falsely advertise with a catch all "water-proof". A specific rating saying exactly what the tested device can go through.

The real defense for samsung in these cases is that they can say previous drops impact a devices ability to withstand water intrustion, thus makine IP rating only valid for "virgin" devices essentially.

Samsung is getting out of a lot of the water warranty claims by not performing non-warranty fixes. So when people have to replace a broken screen, they go 3rd party, automatically voiding the warranty. Rather ingenious of them.
I can see that, but does a manufacturer have to guarantee water won't ever invade and ruin such item?

I was going to say something to the fact of phones can be dropped, flexed in pockets could break a seal.

Gisella Sarmiento

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
No they do sell it to you as a phone you can put under water only intil 5 feet. Even at the samsung store they have a display of one S7 edge in a water box that they have which is in working condition. Dropping it in a fish tank is pretty much similar to going in the pool with it just obviously much bigger the thank on the commercial.

But even then i would not trust to put my phone in a bucket of water or pool at all because I did nto trust it and even with simple splashes by the pool the phone got water in it. It just sucks that Samsung still hasnt done anything about it and only did something for the S7 Actices

Lori21

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Yes absolutely, I would not start taking photos under water but I bought the mobile device so I could use it next to my hot tub to Bluetooth music to my speakers. My handset was never submerged into the water but handled frequently with wet hands (my phone also had a Samsung cover and screen protector on it) unfortunately the phone began to show a green screen frequently, then home screen would not unlock and it stop working altogether! I sent the handset back to Samsung for investigation and was informed that it has moisture damage and is beyond repair and subsequently out of warranty. The television advert in the UK states "Our phone goes everywhere with us except in in water, well until now! Even in the rain, shower or pool. Open up a new world to use it in!" This in my opinion is false advertising, even the adverts demonstrate otherwise as they show the mobile device falling into a sink; into a mucky garden with hose pouring water over it; photos being taken in swimming pools, champagne being poured on to it; a man using it whilst in the shower with his wet hands and many many more examples of the phone being submerged in water then all showing the handset still being able to be used afterwards! These are all in my opinion misleading adverts! My handset has never been misused in these ways but still broken beyond repair and Samsung are not liable? I am very disgruntled by the whole situation and still have 20 months to pay on this contract!!!
Furthermore, Samsung made an official announcement before I purchased the phone contract stating, “The Galaxy S7 active passed a rigorous test to ensure IP68 certification for water resistance. Samsung stands behind this water resistance certification, and will replace any Galaxy S7 active under its standard limited warranty, should water damage occur.” (The display on the Active is the same size as the 5.1-inch Galaxy S7, but smaller than the 5.5-inch Edge. They all share the same 2560×1440 screen resolution and Super AMOLED panel. The big difference is that the Active's display is “shatter resistant.). So I thought I would be covered - they've definitely gone back on their word and there doesn't seems to be a lot I can do about it!

johnny1971

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I would be in for this---I just bought 3 of these....two S7 edges, and one S7---and being water proof (saw the same commercials in the my area) was the main selling point for me updating to a new phone. I do love it, but they should NOT have marketed it this way IF they were not going to cover them under warranty if they did get water damage.

Just my thoughts!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana