Buy now or wait for Galaxy s8?

Achilles_

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an unlimited plan with verizon so I can't upgrade through them, but I like to try new phones. I usually wait 3-4 months after a phone is released before I start looking for one. I can usually get one for at least half of the msrp. I have been really good lately and I've kept my LG G3 for a long time (I tried a galaxy s5 for a week but went back to the lg g3, no difference in performance for what I used it for) The S7 Edge has (from what I've seen) nothing but great reviews and great specs. While I just got my s7 edge, I already like it.

If the galaxy s8 is that much better than the s7 I will likely get it in late summer/fall. But, it seems to me that the technological advances from one year to the next aren't as big as what I remember growing up. The new phone will be faster and have more memory and new features, but how much more can they improve on the s7 edge? I know this has been said before though, so like you guys I will wait and see what samsung has up their sleeve.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I would wait to see if the s8 has issues and such
After note 7 I am never preordering and will wait for reviews
Which review said they blow up? My only point is the reviews were universally spectacular. You can't trust reviews. Trust USER comments after about a month

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Do what I did, buy a used S7/S7Edge to get you through til the S8 is out and thoroughly reviewed. You'll have an amazing phone to get you through in case you decide the S8 isn't for you and if you do want to upgrade you can either sell the S7 or take advantage of the trade in deals which seem to be better for a year old flagship over older phones.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 3 (returned N7 of course). Note 3 works pretty well but I do like the GS7. The thing is I will be giving up ir blaster which I do use and HDMI connection which I also use for Netflix. With a bluetooth mouse and keyboard my Note 3 allows me to watch things I don't get on tv. I don't have wifi.I do have qi charging back on my Note 3 and a brand new battery directly from Sammy.

Anyway the GS7E is nice looking and has a better camera. Edge functions do not interest me. Are there any other new features I will love to help me get over curved edges, smaller screen, no ir, and no HDMI? I want to buy it but I feel like I'm giving up a lot just to get a better camera. Help me out here! LOL

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
No need to get the edge version if you don't care about edge functions. If you will miss the IR blaster, that is something the honor 8 does have.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No need to get the edge version if you don't care about edge functions. If you will miss the IR blaster, that is something the honor 8 does have.
Honor 8 doesn't work on vzw. V20 does but I prefer Oled. I did find a reason to switch. On black Friday s7e for only $360 on monthly installment plan. For that price I can try it and sell if I don't like it.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Honor 8 doesn't work on vzw. V20 does but I prefer Oled. I did find a reason to switch. On black Friday s7e for only $360 on monthly installment plan. For that price I can try it and sell if I don't like it.
What carrier having S7 Edge for $360?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What carrier having S7 Edge for $360?
According to the rep I spoke to in chat at VZW it will be available for 24 payments of $15 if purchased from vzw tomorrow or Friday. I have also heard in another thread you must keep the phone for the full 24 months. I don't know anything for sure so I suggest you check vzw website after midnight for details. I'm concerned because I cannot find another rep to confirm what I was told on chat line. Unfortunately they did not email a copy of the chat like most companies do.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
According to the rep I spoke to in chat at VZW it will be available for 24 payments of $15 if purchased from vzw tomorrow or Friday. I have also heard in another thread you must keep the phone for the full 24 months. I don't know anything for sure so I suggest you check vzw website after midnight for details. I'm concerned because I cannot find another rep to confirm what I was told on chat line. Unfortunately they did not email a copy of the chat like most companies do.
I'll be on the lookout. I believe the credit is spread out across 24 months, so to really get the phone for $360, you will have to keep the line active for 24 months to receive your credit.

You will just need to keep the line active, so a year from now, you can buy a note 8 outright for example and still be able to use it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll be on the lookout. I believe the credit is spread out across 24 months, so to really get the phone for $360, you will have to keep the line active for 24 months to receive your credit.

You will just need to keep the line active, so a year from now, you can buy a note 8 outright for example and still be able to use it.
Oh I'm not leaving VZW nor UDP so if I am alive line will be active but if similar deal arises for Note 8 I won't be able to avail myself of it?

Maybe I should just wait then. Shucks.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Oh I'm not leaving VZW nor UDP so if I am alive line will be active but if similar deal arises for Note 8 I won't be able to avail myself of it?

Maybe I should just wait then. Shucks.
You can buy out the remainder of the balance I think and get the next deal on another 24 month installment plan. I think!

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Based on your stated preference for newly released devices, waiting until the S8 is released is probably a good choice.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The question is do I buy out remainder of 360 or 780 and do I need to pay anything up front?
Your initial balance is $780 not $360. Remember, you will be getting bill credit for 24 months, so if you decide you want to upgrade in a year, you pay what ever the remaining balance is. I'm not 100 percent sure though. I'm going to ask tomorrow if the deal goes live for black Friday

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Good luck getting a straight answer. I know I will only keep the s7e for 6 months max so deal sucks for me. If anybody wanted to keep it for 2 years it is a great deal.

If note 8 were enticing maybe I would keep it until note 8 comes out but that is still probably less than a year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii