Hate the New update 7.0 on the S7 Edge

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad that people who don't like or want the update couldn't trade with the people who want it but cannot have it yet. Just a passing thought...

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
HATE, is a strong word. . .& I HATE the new update on my S7 edge!
The flow & aesthetics of the design & format look like several steps BACKWARDS.
I can NOT stand the way the "phone" contacts, including favorites is laid out now, as well as changing to mostly white backgrounds with little to know contrasts.
The messaging apps contrasts are "plain Jane" & with few options to change the colors.
The designers of this new update know Nothing about how people age or with certain disabilities contrasts are more difficult to distinguish from. At first glance having a greater contrast in color & textures make using the phone easier for most people. NOW, with the new update, the mostly white & light contrasts make distinguishing between things on your screen more difficult. It has become less user friendly, & very BORING to use.
The new version makes using the phone more difficult & for many, including myself, wanting to switch phones to leave Samsung altogether.
I am already upset about the way they changed the Calender app several updates ago & still carry around my Note 3, just to use the old version of Calander. It use to allow you to highlight with color the complete block for each day & ad stickers. I can glance at my month & based on the color of the days know which days I work & which days I am off. ( I am a RN & work at a hospital). Now the calander is all white, with only option to color with highlighting words for events. & no way to add stickers to quickly see pay days, birthdays, holidays, appointments etc. & don't reply with check out other calender apps. . .I did. None of them let you color or shade the entire day or add tiny stickers to the bottom right corner of the day blocks.
& here we go again with this latest update.
The new update has made The lay out more list oriented & contrast options & layout options are little to none.
This latest update, in my opinion has made using my Samsung phone less pleasing, more difficult for certain tasks & BORING
Well said. I'm not going to be dumping the phone, as I'm still very pleased overall with my S7E. But I also hate the downgrade in esthetics and usability that Nougat brought to the table.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
In my experience there are some subtle changes but not enough to make me hate it. It takes a little getting used to but I'll get over it...especially when the S8 comes.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if you find one.

I'm using "Flat_TouchWiz_Black" from the Samsung theme store. "Material_Black" is s similar theme also from the Samsung theme store. Neither seem to have been updated for Nougat, but they're still easier on the eyes and battery than stock Nougat. Both are free.

Eclipse Elaina

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I've tried every recommendation on how to make my new galaxy7's Svoice to talk back to me.Nothing works.just switched drom the s4 and nvr had a problem w svoice or google or voice commands.How do i fic the sVoice so I can hear it talk bck?everything ab the s7 has changed.EVERYTHING.Aaaaahhhhh.help.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
"Material Dark" is the theme I'm using and it's really quite good. It's not black, but a darkish/bluish grey. Very similar to the night mode in these forums, actually.

I don't think any themes change the white background on notifications, though. That is unchanged on this theme.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
"Material Dark" is the theme I'm using and it's really quite good. It's not black, but a darkish/bluish grey. Very similar to the night mode in these forums, actually.

I don't think any themes change the white background on notifications, though. That is unchanged on this theme.

You are correct, you cannot change the notifications with any theme.

I haven't heard anything about Good Lock lately, it will change the notifications. Last I heard they were going to update it for Nougat, but I don't remember where I heard it from. I don't remember if it was from a trusted source or not.

T2shay

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I really hate the update too. What I hate is the settings, everything use to make sense on where it was located and now it doesn't. Example. I have 3 gmail accounts set up to see email, I want to remove 2 of those accounts, it keeps taking me to settings and I can't delete it. It use to be so simple go to app click menu delete I also hate all this samsung pay. Android is known for their way of customizing the phone the way you use it. Not with this update you can't.

denitroy

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Wish there was a way to get back the option of hitting one key to type a phrase. I gave up on the text app. Way to many steps. Using textra

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I shelved my S7 Edge shortly after the Nougat update due to the horrible battery life. Currently using my iPhone at the moment. Like the new look though.

Mike Corrieri

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
How is it like an iphone? Let me tell you...

I hate the iphone. With a passion.

And I loved my Galaxy S7 Edge. I loved it enough to go to it after a year on my LG G3. I loved it so much that my wife gave up her iPhone and got a Galaxy S7 (non-edge). And the first time I used her phone I was like WTF? I didn't realize the phones were so different? Of course I had been ignoring the update notifications. And then, like a dummy I updated without reading any forums or anything, I just had blind faith, after all, this is SAMSUNG not Apple (a company with their heads firmly up their backsides) right? So what risk.

And now? I hate my Galaxy S7 edge with all the same passion I once hated my iphone.

So that's how they are the same - I totally get what the OP was saying. He was saying that the out of control suckage of having a company make massive changes and breaking stuff that wasn't a problem and changing how tasks are done when you are fine with them - that's the trademark modus operandi of apple, not samsung.

And in that regard Samsung is now pretty much the same. I honestly don't know what to do. I guess I am going back to LG. I hated the lousy daytime visibility and washed out look of the screen, but otherwise my G3 was a great phone. And for 8 months so was my S7 edge.

Now? Samsuck = Apple.

/vent=OFF
/tmobile_jump_program=ENABLE

RipperooUK

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I am totally with you 100% hating the new update! Bland, bland, bland, with a a dash of boring. I'm sure it's whats made my sight deteriorate in the last few months with lack of contrast between white and pale icons.

RipperooUK

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Ahh, the Nougat update!

Personally I HATE it and think it is a stinking, steaming pile of dog crap.

Having had my Samsung Galaxy S7 a while, I recently updated it to 'N' and have to say, what a freakin' disappointment!

I have no idea what it is with Google and why they make each update of Android IMHO more sparse than the one before.

Personally I prefer colour, gradients, demarcation between 'zones' and nice detailed icons. Not these bland single colour icons on a white background that have been pushed on the user over the last few updates.

Most of use have handsets costing in excess £500-800 with truly awesome screens with resolutions fit for a TV in hand-held devices and we are forced to look at huge white spaces, white interfaces/menus, with single colour icons! WTF?

Maybe its to preserve battery life? If so, that's very lame! Personally, I'd rather look at a thing of beauty for 6 hours than a heaving pile of turd for 24!

For instance the pull-down the top menu on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge' is white, with light blue basic icons.

Ooooh, lightbulb moment here! I've got an idea! For the next Android update, make the icons white on a white background and be done with it! We, the users can just use 'The Force' to find what we are looking for.

Is it just me or does anyone else hate predominately white/light interfaces, with light-coloured this and light-coloured that?

It literally hurts my eyes to look at a predominately white interface and when all the icons are the same colour instead on being individual, then I think that takes longer to find what your looking for.

It's like someone with OCD is in charge and wants everything to match! I'm all for continuity, but there's got to be some give when it's informational content on screen.

Oh, and the 'LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?' found at the bottom of each sub-menu in settings? WTAF? Why can't they just put all the available options there for the user to peruse at will! I'm pretty sure I'll manage to navigate the extra content!

Also, WTF is it recently with the overuse of actual words instead of icons?

Here's an idea, why not use easily identifiable icons in order to de-clutter the menus instead of 'Over Texting' the menus?

For instance, in the default email app, if you long-press a message, you are presented with the word 'DELETE' as an available option. Now forgive me if I'm wrong here, but what is the universal symbol for 'DELETE'? A fracking 'Waste Bin', that's what!? Everyone in every language is familiar with this, so why change it to the actual word 'DELETE'? Surely, it must be harder to program the OS to use the translated word for 'DELETE' considering the wide range of languages available in Android.

Oh, and 'NOTI. SETTINGS' on the pull-down menu? Ahhhh, this annoys the p!55 out of me! If words have to be used, at least use the full words as it just looks less lazy!

Another step back IMHO is the caller ID screen which is so poor, it's criminal!.

Sadly, there wasn't the preferred full screen HD image of the caller contact in previous versions of Android (although, I'm pretty sure it was a loooong time ago), but at least we had the half-screen contact's image on display during a call up until recently.

Now? A stoopid little lo-res circle with a blurry-crap background. Again and update that makes the interface look worse.

I spent ages preparing good quality 720x720 images for ALL of my contacts and now they look like 5hi7e!

I'm pretty sure there is an Apple insider at Google signing off these 'ASAP' (As S**T A Possible) updates in the hope more Android users will defect to Apple. Defection has never crossed my mind in 8 years, but the last two updates ('M' & 'N') are pushing me closer!

I just feel that the interface of last few incarnations of Android has become increasingly clinical to the point the interface is just not nice to look at any more or as easy to navigate (no colour, no demarcation and no detailed icons).

Maybe by Android 'P' we'll have retrograded to a black & white, icon-free, MS-DOS-like (just text) interface!

Seriously, it as if Google are retrograding Android in order to re-upgrade the interface in the future.

END OF RANT! :D

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Since white uses more power than black or dark images, Nougat's use of light colors is NOT a decision based on battery conservation. Because I dislike N's appearance so much, I tried a bunch of dark themes and settled on one that's pretty decent. I wish notifications and the dialer app would be dark-themed through out. I wish the themes took over more of the phones UI.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I see what you're referring to. Mine has a screen that changes colors behind the photo. It hadn't occurred to me to try and change that one.