email staying an inbox after being deleted from server

ssaslow

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm finding that email is staying in my inbox even after it is deleted from the email server. On all my other android devices including my old Galaxy S4 when I delete it from email servers they would disapper from my inbox after it synced up.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What sort of email account (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) and is it configured on your device as POP3 or as IMAP?

If IMAP, then it should sync folders between the server and your phone; if POP3 then the behavior you notice is to be expected.

ssaslow

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a POP3 account but the same account deletes it from my inbox when it is deleted from the server on the next sync on my old Galaxy S4 and my two galaxy tablets

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a POP3 account but the same account deletes it from my inbox when it is deleted from the server on the next sync on my old Galaxy S4 and my two galaxy tablets

Sorry, but that sounds like it is configured as IMAP on your other devices.

POP3 does not "synchronize" folders. It downloads new emails and either "leaves a copy on the server" or deletes immediately from the server depending on an option setting available in every POP3 client's setup screen.

IMAP, on the other hand, synchronizes the local client's folders with the same folders on the server. Whatever exists on one, exists on the other. Whatever is deleted from one will (normally) be deleted from the other.

Check the mail account settings on your S4 and tablets; more than likely you will find that they are configured for IMAP access.

ssaslow

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
nope, they are setup as pop accounts. The settings are the same. I triple checked them.. very wierd that it has the same settings and it acts differently than everyone of my devices...

I guess I will have to manually delete them from my inbox. Not a huge deal except you then have to manually delete them from the trash..

Wish android had an option to automatically delete from trash when you close the app

MediaTechGuy47

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Did you find a fix for this? I have the exact same problem. I have two POP3 accounts. On my S6, the "When deleted from Inbox" option worked great. If Outlook is not open on my PC, emails come to my phone. When I get home and open Outlook, which is set to remove emails from the server after downloading, then the next time my S6 checked for emails, the ones that were pulled into Outlook automatically disappeared from my phone. My brand new S7 has the same option for POP3, but it does NOT work. I get dozens of emails a day. There's no way I want to manually delete. I need this fixed.

UPDATE: after playing around, I figured this out. Even though my mail accounts are POP accounts, I sent them up on my Galaxy S7 as IMAP accounts. That way, once Outlook on my PC (using POP) pulls the email down, it automatically disappears from my phone. Perfect for me as I only want to see my email on my phone when I'm out of the office. Once I pull it into Outlook, I want it gone off my phone.

Last edited:

hentropy20

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
After being frustrated by the issue, I just realized it might be working after all. While on the previous S6 & my old HTC, the inbox get cleared immediately once the email has been downloaded to our laptops, the S7 seems to cache them for an additional 1 day. Which means to say today's emails will only get deleted tomorrow, leading us to believe that nothing is happening.

But thanks MediaTechGuy47, the IMAP+POP trick is pretty cool too.

ssaslow

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I still can't get this to work. My emails stay in my inbox until I delete them manually on the phone. If I click on an email that is on the phone that is deleted from the server it says can't be found but the header stays there...

How do I set it up at an IMAP account when it's a POP account?

lineymike

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I am on Telstra Australia and using an S7 Edge. As I have an older POP account, the S7 mail app does not sync properly with deleted items, whereas my S6 did. I have not found any answers as to why, however, I did manage to change my Telstra email settings over to IMAP, which does sync properly. I can only suggest that you check with your service provider to see if this is possible.

lars_nilsson

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue: I have two email accounts - on POP and one IMAP. On my old HTC both accounts were correctly synced, so that when I delete an e-mail on one device, then it also disappeared from the mobile phone and vice versa.
This still works for the IMAP account, but not for the POP account. I have emails from at least three days back which have been deleted from the server, but are still showing up on the phone.
I have checked the settings, and they are exactly the same on the two phones. The Samsung phone was actually configured automatically by uploading settings from the HTC.
This is driving me crazy - it must be something wrong with the Samsung phone, since it did work properly on the HTC.

Jcpstrat

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
MediaTechGuy47 ... I found your post helpful. I basically did what you did with looking up the IMAP settings for my carrier (Verizon). Then I deleted my POP mail account and created a new one and took the Manual option where it gave me a choice of POP or IMAP. I had to play with the security settings a little but now my S7 Inbox emails get deleted once I download emails that are on the server to my PC. The only issue is if you delete emails on the phone ... the ones on the server will also be deleted when they sync up.

Jcpstrat

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
lars_nilsson ... I don't think this can be done on a Samsung S7 (mine) with a POP account. I spent a lot of time with Verizon (phone service provider), Samsung and Spectrum (Internet/email provider). Samsung says you have to use a IMAP account and get the recommended IMAP setting from your Internet/email service provider. When setting up my account on my Samsung Galaxy S7 I chose "ADD OTHER ACCOUNT" and then chose "MANUAL SETUP". You'll get a choice of POP or IMAP. The settings I used from Verizon were:

INCOMING SERVER
IMAP server: mail.twc.com

Security type: None
Port: 143

OUTGOING SERVER
SMTP server: mail.twc.com
Security type: None
Port: 587

Authentication required before sending emails = ON

After doing this, any emails in my Inbox, on my phone, disappear the next time the phone syncs with the server if I have already downloaded my email from the server on my PC. Also any emails you delete from you phone WILL get deleted from the server and so you won't get those emails when you download from your PC. My POP server setting from my Windows PC is set to not leave emails on the server. Hope this helps someone.

Jcpstrat

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
We'll I ran into one little hitch with above setup. There may be other solutions but here's what happened and how I got around it. After using my phone to look at and delete unnecessary emails I got the following message when I tried to download messages to my PC:

"Sending of password for username did not succeed. Mail server mail.twc.com responded: [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again."

"Log in to server mail.twc.com with username failed. Retry, Enter New Password, Cancel"

I knew my password was OK and retrying did not help. The next day I could download to my PC until I checked my mail on my phone and then I would get the same failure messages.

I changed my Galaxy S7 email accounts to sync Manually instead of periodically. This means I don't get notifications of email on my phone as they come in and I have to open the Phone email program and then it sync's all email accounts automatically … once. As long as email program is closed on the phone, my Windows 10 Pro PC (using the Thunderbird mail client), retrieves mail as usual. Leave the email client on phone open and the failure messages re-appear.

htconemini2

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
SOLVED. I have had exactly this problem since setting up a new android phone (samsung) and tablet (Fire HD). Really annoying issue. However I finally found the answer. Download a new email client from the appstore. Search for "Email karl shipley". You should see one described as "Emails - Outlook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail". Install this, and configure the servers as POP. Look in settings for the account and under "Fetching mail" There is a "Sync server deletions". If ticked it will remove messages when they have been deleted on the server. Perfect! Many thanks to Karl (if he is on this site?).
PS just found one downside of this - the occasional advert pops up. I think this is worth it to lose all these emails that are no longer on the server. If it becomes too much of a problem I shall have to look again.

Last edited:

Burculk

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
SOLVED. I have had exactly this problem since setting up a new android phone (samsung) and tablet (Fire HD). Really annoying issue. However I finally found the answer. Download a new email client from the appstore. Search for "Email karl shipley". You should see one described as "Emails - Outlook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail". Install this, and configure the servers as POP. Look in settings for the account and under "Fetching mail" There is a "Sync server deletions". If ticked it will remove messages when they have been deleted on the server. Perfect! Many thanks to Karl (if he is on this site?).

I have the same issue, too and I did this. I downloaded a new e-mail and I applied in order. Problem was solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress