S7 Edge not showing notifications in tray and "recent apps" button and settings button dnt work

iamstevie

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge not showing notifications in tray and "recent apps" button and settings button dnt work

After repeating your steps, i m now stuck at setup wizard loophole. on last step of setup, it shows com.process,setup has stopped working.
Neither home and recent apps button nor pull down notification bar is working.

Hi there - I've now got a similar problem :(

Did you manage to resolve this??

iamstevie

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge not showing notifications in tray and "recent apps" button and settings button dnt work

Took a couple of hours but I've fixed this loop problem!!!

From reading online it seems a few people, particularly on Motorola, have had this problem following a recent android update.

Background: not my phone, but had a recent marsmashllow update. Notifications and quick settings were no longer appearing. Calls weren't getting received. Apps were randomly acting buggy. So, tried the nova launcher fix outlined above. phone got stuck in sn infinite loop, kinda like the initial setup screens when you buy a new android phone. safe mode also booted straight into that infinite loop!!.

Running Android 6 on Motorola Moto G.

FIX:
I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination so bear with me on this.
So...If you're getting stuck in that infinite .SetupWizardTestActivity loop:

1) progress as far as you can through the steps (for me, id get to a point where it says please wait a few secs... Then it would go back to the beginning)

2) when i got that far,i found if i pressed "back" rapidly, the home/back/menu buttons would reappear briefly on screen, allowing me to click the menu button (if i was quick). These buttons would not otherwise appear.

3) so...press the menu button. Somehow (and i can't recall how), i was able to click into google search somewhere. I'm hoping this is apparent for anyone who may have this problem and get this far in the process!

4) if you get this far, you'll find helpfully Google search let's you look for apps stored on your phone (unless you've disabled that feature!). So here i spent hours trying different things. I could search for the play store app, then try downloading apps to fix, but to no avail. For some reason I couldn't enable developer mode(and third party apps couldn't enable it either.... Is that a motorola thing??).... Usb file transfer wasn't working... Etc. :(

Note at this point, you have to be very careful if clicking the back button in case you find yourself back in that loop again!! You CANNOT get to your homescreen... You will only be taken back to the infinite loop.

5) finally two ideas came to me:

Idea 1 (the fix):
I searched "settings", to launch the android settings app. From here i went to apps > gear icon > app permissions. And systemically enabled every app permission on the phone.

This, appears to have been the culprit and fixed the issue! If you go back to the infinite loop, you will hopefully find it now progresses to the end without a hitch. You're notifications and everything will also be restored!!

Idea 2:
if this doesn't work (and truth be told, i never got to try this), my next idea was to download a wifi file transfer app (or indeed, try ES File Explorer which i believe has functionality built in). Hopefully it will be possible to copy any files to PC, ahead of the inevitable factory restore.

Hopefully noone else has this issue, but if you do... Good luck!

Harit Narke

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

My home button itself wasnt working so i could press back button home button.
But was in vain..
Any solution ?

tibyannie

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

Nova Launcher fix totally worked. I am so very glad. I had feared that I had to erase and format my phone and lose everything but this made my day! I was unable to see any notification or pull down the notification menu and the MTP option in USB wouldn't work as well. Now everything is working!! Yahoooo..... Thank you so much!!

Ashwin Subhash

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site

Your solution worked perfectly on my moto xplay.
Only thing is , while giving app permissions you have to select "show system apps" and specifically give permission to all of them.(actually just the setup wizard).
Completed the setup, my notification tab is back ,so are menu and recent buttons and my phone regained the ability to receive calls again :p

Marius Alksnys

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Thank you, this saved me a lot of time! :)
Just in my case it was Set Up New User activity that helped instantly.

itsgalf

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site

Hello, the solution worked for my wife's Moto X Pure (same problems). I don't understand why it worked, but it did. Thank you

heisenb

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: SOLVED S7 Edge not showing notifications in tray and "recent apps" button

Great! it worked for me as well. I have been looking for a solution since 2 months! Great guy!

Mezzaveli 987

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Re: S7 issue

Holly **** I fixed everything!!!!

I tried what this website says but I could not change my phone's mode from "Charging" to "Software installation" so the following option did not work:
How To Fix Missing Home And Recents Buttons, And Notification Shade That Refuses To Pull Down After Android Update

So I went to this website where that fix was originally posted: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PaulOBrien/posts/8EGNvpY9jQa

And I followed what the user Mike Tompkins said: "Did this using nova launcher. Long press home screen choose shortcut, activities, setup wizard, setup wizard test activity. Creates shortcut, open follow directions. Not sure if it really helps. Didn't have issue."

And it worked!!

Here's the fix, being broken down dummy style:
1) Download Nova Launcher & set it as default to replace TouchWiz.
2) Long press on the home screen.
3) Choose Widgets.
4) At the top, under Nova Launcher, scroll to the right & press & hold on Activities and place it somewhere empty on the home screen.
5) Scroll down to Setup Wizard. I saw 2 Setup Wizard options.
6) Under the first Setup Wizard option, I opened it & scrolled down to the 3rd choice which said ".SetupWizardTestActivity". It might be in a different spot for you, but look at the small writing, that's how I saw this one.
7) Select that to create the widget shortcut.
8) Open it. Apparently you're supposed to have a menu to go through and just click through "Next", but there wasn't one for me.
The screen just flashed and then next thing you know, everything works!

Thank you to the geniuses that found this solution!!

Thanks dude - saviour!!!! Been dealing with this issue for like a week.

kobi cohen1

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site

thanks so much! worked for me too
I just don't understand how and why it happened :(
I innocently just updated my software as it was suggested by the phone

hassanmurad

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site

I did this when I clicked the new green android icon created on screen after creating shortcut.

It showed me blue screen with YELLOW button to do next, when I click that i get an error unfortunately, setup wizard has stopped and I cannot go beyond that.

I tried restarting everything but did not help

Dom DeLuise

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site

All this did was brick my phone, I'm stuck in setupwizardactivity.
One minute, I'm texting my mother, the next my notifications won't pull down and my home buttons won't work - so I look for a solution, find this one, and voila! Bricked! Tried safe mode, tried reboot into recovery, tried wiping cache partition but I'm stuck in this setupwizardactivity nonsense. It's amazing how far you can fall in just a couple minutes - amazing flawless brand new phone to absolutely ****ed.

Is this some kind of joke? Am I being trolled?

Arif012

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site

All this did was brick my phone, I'm stuck in setupwizardactivity.
One minute, I'm texting my mother, the next my notifications won't pull down and my home buttons won't work - so I look for a solution, find this one, and voila! Bricked! Tried safe mode, tried reboot into recovery, tried wiping cache partition but I'm stuck in this setupwizardactivity nonsense. It's amazing how far you can fall in just a couple minutes - amazing flawless brand new phone to absolutely ****ed.

Is this some kind of joke? Am I being trolled?

It worked for me just now I was stressing out. I've got an S7 and I used the method, I went trough the process and it got stuck on setupwizardtest was freaking out so I restart my phone then it was still there, I pressed next repeatedly then it worked.

Kalyan Khadka

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site

At last when I Click next Button it says "Unfortunately, Setting has Stopped". Then I restart my galaxy S7 edge then all of a sudden it works. Thanks, But I didn't know how does it works & what have I done to my android?

Last edited:

Ekobeko10

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site

Holly **** I fixed everything!!!!

I tried what this website says but I could not change my phone's mode from "Charging" to "Software installation" so the following option did not work:
How To Fix Missing Home And Recents Buttons, And Notification Shade That Refuses To Pull Down After Android Update

So I went to this website where that fix was originally posted: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PaulOBrien/posts/8EGNvpY9jQa

And I followed what the user Mike Tompkins said: "Did this using nova launcher. Long press home screen choose shortcut, activities, setup wizard, setup wizard test activity. Creates shortcut, open follow directions. Not sure if it really helps. Didn't have issue."

And it worked!!

Here's the fix, being broken down dummy style:
1) Download Nova Launcher & set it as default to replace TouchWiz.
2) Long press on the home screen.
3) Choose Widgets.
4) At the top, under Nova Launcher, scroll to the right & press & hold on Activities and place it somewhere empty on the home screen.
5) Scroll down to Setup Wizard. I saw 2 Setup Wizard options.
6) Under the first Setup Wizard option, I opened it & scrolled down to the 3rd choice which said ".SetupWizardTestActivity". It might be in a different spot for you, but look at the small writing, that's how I saw this one.
7) Select that to create the widget shortcut.
8) Open it. Apparently you're supposed to have a menu to go through and just click through "Next", but there wasn't one for me.
The screen just flashed and then next thing you know, everything works!

Thank you to the geniuses that found this solution!!

Dude i made an account here to thank you. I was sucked 2 weeks in this bug. But dude literally youre my biggest hero of 2017 ������

Last edited by a moderator:

Notatechguy

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: Moto x play probs

This doesn't work for me on my partners moto xplay. I'm now stuck on the setup screens. Clicking next does nothing as it goes through all the options then just starts again. Switching the phone off restarts it into this setup.... Help!

Tbf that was for the Samsung Galaxy S7E but even me in my s7e had what you had - setup screen with nothing. I restarted it, looked the same. Thought "oh no, it was just malicious scan" but it's not! Press the home button once, be patient and wait and... voila! Great fix, thank you main guy!

Notatechguy

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site

Same here! I made an account just to thank him and reassure everyone this is def the way to go. You might come to a blue setup screen that doesn't seem to go further to next screen but just press home button and you'll be fine! I chose to go back to touchwiz as my screens look better that way and working 100% I think. Thanks guy!

TiaSimone

Mar 11, 2017
Visit site

Hey all,
I bought an S7 Edge almost 2 weeks ago and for the most part the phone has been perfect. But I did have some problems, mainly anytime I would use the "IHeart Radio" app the phone would restart and while that was annoying I just dealt with it. However now, am I'm not sure they are related, neither the recent apps (or multi-task) button nor the settings button in the tray at the top doesn't work. Also, I hear notifications come in like texts or news alerts however they don't show in the tray when I pull it down.

I've done a bit of googling up to this point with nobody else experiencing quite what I have and was wondering if anybody else has had these problems, or if anybody knows a fix.

Just so you know I've uninstalled any apps that I had installed just prior to the issue starting, and yes I've restarted.

Thanks for any help.

Hey! Im having the same exact issues with my note 5. Did you find a solution?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty