Smart Lock on GS7 stopped working

Rick_Moli0212

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I set up the location-based Smart lock when I first got my GS7 two weeks ago, and for at least a week it was working perfectly, keeping my phone unlocked when at home. For the last few days, I've noticed that Smart lock is no longer activating for me. I've tried turning the GPS off and on, disabling and reenabling the address, and turning Smart lock off and on, all to no avail. I can't remember for sure if it stopped working before this happened or only after, but last Thursday while out of town for a few days I downloaded a security update (T-Mobile) to my phone. I'm thinking this might be the cause. Has anyone else had this problem?

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
When I use location-based Smart Lock it is hit or miss. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rob Weir

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had the s7 for about 6 months now. The smart lock worked from day one (trusted places and device), until a few weeks ago. I had tried setting up a work exchange email on the phone and it stopped working. I found in another forum that removing the account would help and it did for a week. I started having some over heating and freezing up issues. I did a factory reset and installed as few apps as possible to prevent any further problems. The smart lock worked again for about a week and has stopped again. It does always work when connected to my truck, just never at work or home. Is this potentially fixed with the nougat update? I'm on koodo and fear it will be a very long time yet before we see the update but hoping it helps solve my issues when we do get it. In two weeks I've had the phone over heat and freeze up once as opposed to the 3 times a day it did before the factory reset.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Here is a little tip for your that has completely solved the same problem I had that you are currently having. Go into your Trusted Places and drop 2 separate pins for the location where you live. Do this in addition to turning on your home location. This will give you a total of 3 trusted places for your home. You can probably get away with just dropping 1 pin in addition to your home, but the 3rd just helps make sure your phone will stay unlocked while your at home.

Rob Weir

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. I had tried that awhile ago. I added a couple more this morning (one on each side of the house) for a total of 5. It still locks up.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. I had tried that awhile ago. I added a couple more this morning (one on each side of the house) for a total of 5. It still locks up.
I am sorry it did not help you Rob. Adding the additional pins should help most people that have lost or keep losing the trusted places functionality. It sounds like you have something else going on that is causing the problem. I have been using Nougat beta 1 for the past 3 months with no issues. However, I kept losing the trusted places functionality after a week or so until I added the additional pins, so I do not believe Nougat will help with your situation either. I am sorry I could not help you. I would have suggested a reset, but you already have done that. Hopefully you will get it working again soon, for your sanity if nothing else.

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I've had the s7 for about 6 months now. The smart lock worked from day one (trusted places and device), until a few weeks ago. I had tried setting up a work exchange email on the phone and it stopped working. I found in another forum that removing the account would help and it did for a week. I started having some over heating and freezing up issues. I did a factory reset and installed as few apps as possible to prevent any further problems. The smart lock worked again for about a week and has stopped again. It does always work when connected to my truck, just never at work or home. Is this potentially fixed with the nougat update? I'm on koodo and fear it will be a very long time yet before we see the update but hoping it helps solve my issues when we do get it. In two weeks I've had the phone over heat and freeze up once as opposed to the 3 times a day it did before the factory reset.
If it stopped after you added an exchange account, the problem may be the Exchange administrative rules.
Exchange servers can be set with specific security policies in place, to prevent unauthorized access.
If they have a policy setup that requires a password / pin to unlock, then the Trusted Places would violate that policy.

When you setup your exchange account, do you remember seeing a "Device Administrator" request screen?
HX13S5009.pngandr-conn8.pngactivate.png