Samsung Galaxy S7 Software Update - April Security Patch

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
This update sucks. It's making me enter a pin every time I unlock my phone with my fingerprint

Posted via the Android Central App
I just got done with the April 2 update from AT&T. At first it asked for the pin number. I did a complete shutdown and a restart. As usual it asked for the pin but is back to normal of only requiring a fingerprint to unlock my phone. BTW, I no longer have to swipe after the fingerprint by setting the "Secured lock time" to "Instantly with the power key or..."

Last edited:

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If you choose to unlock your phone with your fingerprint, you must also use a pin, password or pattern along with your fingerprint. That defeats the purport of fingerprint unlock

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
If you choose to unlock your phone with your fingerprint, you must also use a pin, password or pattern along with your fingerprint. That defeats the purport of fingerprint unlock

If you unlock your phone with your fingerprint the only time it asks you to use a pin, password or pattern is when you are powering up the phone.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If you unlock your phone with your fingerprint the only time it asks you to use a pin, password or pattern is when you are powering up the phone.

I know. But after the recent security update, it's asking for a pin every time I unlock the phone

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I know. But after the recent security update, it's asking for a pin every time I unlock the phone

Sorry to hear that. Not currently using the fingerprint security as I tend to wait a while for features like it to mature a bit. I am not convinced that it can't be hacked and my fingerprint stolen. A way will be found to do it even remotely. Not trying to be paranoid just overly cautious. Probably a function of my age.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I did find that sd card notification no longer appears whether I restart or shut down and power on. After the initial update from AT&T, I got the notification and I swiped it away never seeing until a restart or powering it back on. After the update from yesterday, the screen seems a bit more responsive.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
More releases for the Global, G930F, unbranded and lightly branded model for...

Bulgaria (MTL)
Portugal (Vodafone)
Baltic
Croatia (TELE2)
Turkey
Slovenia (Mobitel)
Afghanistan
Pakistan (PAK)
Israel
Bosnia Herzegovina (BH Telecom)
Bosnia Herzegovina
Hungary (Telenor)
Panama
Trinidad and Tobago
Argentina

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
More releases for the Global, G930F, unbranded and lightly branded model for...

Bulgaria (MTL)
Portugal (Vodafone)
Baltic
Croatia (TELE2)
Turkey
Slovenia (Mobitel)
Afghanistan
Pakistan (PAK)
Israel
Bosnia Herzegovina (BH Telecom)
Bosnia Herzegovina
Hungary (Telenor)
Panama
Trinidad and Tobago
Argentina

No update here bro:

AP: G930FXXU1APD1
CP: G930FXXU1APD1
CSC: G930FOJV1APD1
Model: SM-G930F

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

Errr... you are already on the PD1 update Snappy Phoenix :D

You started this thread with it. :confused:

Re-read posts #18 -> #24

my bad, I was under the impression that there was a newer update that fixes the SD Card notification even after restart. I only get it once after I restart the phone but I would rather not get it at all

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I did find that sd card notification no longer appears whether I restart or shut down and power on. After the initial update from AT&T, I got the notification and I swiped it away never seeing until a restart or powering it back on. After the update from yesterday, the screen seems a bit more responsive.

I didn't notice that until you said it. Good point

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

Thinking back I think it did do that too after the update. After I powered down and restarted it went back to normal with only asking for the pin the first time after the power up.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thinking back I think it did do that too after the update. After I powered down and restarted it went back to normal with only asking for the pin the first time after the power up.

I was hoping that would fix it for me. I've restarted many times but the issue remains. It's not every time either. I would say 75% of the time

GaryD9

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Are you using nova launcher? On XDA, there's a discussion concerning a feature in nova launcher that relates to the lock screen (double tap to turn on or something) that is causing a symptom similar to what you are describing...

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you using nova launcher? On XDA, there's a discussion concerning a feature in nova launcher that relates to the lock screen (double tap to turn on or something) that is causing a symptom similar to what you are describing...

Yes I do. It's weird. It usually happens when my screen locks from the hope screen. If I have an app open, the fingerprint unlock works just fine

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I was hoping that would fix it for me. I've restarted many times but the issue remains. It's not every time either. I would say 75% of the time

Also if you haven't use the phone for 24 hours it asks for the pin after you try to unlock with your fingerprint.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. Not currently using the fingerprint security as I tend to wait a while for features like it to mature a bit. I am not convinced that it can't be hacked and my fingerprint stolen. A way will be found to do it even remotely. Not trying to be paranoid just overly cautious. Probably a function of my age.

Age? I'm getting pretty old and I love the fingerprint sensor. I am not sure what magical day you are waiting for before using it. How do you know when a technology has matured?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Age? I'm getting pretty old and I love the fingerprint sensor. I am not sure what magical day you are waiting for before using it. How do you know when a technology has matured?

Man, it's just my opinion and personal preference not a judgment. I would like to see the information that has a RIM like security encryption. Once your print is hijacked, think of the damage someone can do and how difficult it is to prove. RFID wallets exist to deter theft but someone will defeat this ability to deter the theft. I am just a little more sensitive about trying to protect my identity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38