Am I the only person who hates AMOLED screens nowadays??

IP67

May 17, 2016
Visit site
It's been quite a while since we have been using IPS displays and AMOLED displays on mobile devices, but at some point in time, people now seem to bash on IPS displays. Sure, AMOLED screens have come a long way from when it started. It can get bright, it spends less power in always on mode or ambient mode, but not a lot of people seem to talk about how AMOLED screens deteriorate over time. I am not going to talk about burn ins because, lets face it, that rarely happens nowdays. But the problem with colors being less accurate overtime and the low refresh rates when the screen is dim is still some of the things that makes me steer away from AMOLED screens. What are some of you guys thoughts?

koves

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a note 5 and I absolutely love the screen. Honestly I really haven't heard much about them deteriorating over time though

Posted via the Android Central App

sling1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I've owned Galaxy S5 since release date 1080p display still good as new Amoled 4 the win.
The real concern should be battery longevity, my S5 needed replacement at 14 months OEM cost 20.00.
With S7 its going to cost time & big $ when battery goes bad , I might use a T-mobile Jump get new one when that time comes.

Sad really, Samsung has become throw away phone. They need to bring back removable battery

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The lifespan of OLED tech nowadays is 14000hrs, or 5 years with screen time at 8hrs per day. That's longer than you will be using the phone for actively. Of course you have to take into account brightness and similar stuff. But in today's world, I don't think it matters much.

Of course this is failure. Color degradation may have different numbers again based on your usage.

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I used to be all for LCD and IPS because I thought AMOLED was to vibrant . This is the first OLED display to not kill my eyes.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
1. The screen on my wife's 2 1/2 year old S3 is still fine. Not deteriorated in any way. Your fears are overblown.

2. LCD screens fade over time, too. No technology lasts forever.

I have never seen an LCD display as good as the SAMOLED screen on the S7 or S7 Edge.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
1. The screen on my wife's 2 1/2 year old S3 is still fine. Not deteriorated in any way. Your fears are overblown.

So, because your wife's phone has no visible defects, you have determined that no AMOLED screen in the world has ever suffered from burn in? is that what you are saying? If so, I can refute that right at the get-go, as my Note 2 has plenty of burn-in.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the gorgeous display of my S7, I could, in no way, say I hate AMOLED screens. Never noticed any problems with my 2 year old S5.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So, because your wife's phone has no visible defects, you have determined that no AMOLED screen in the world has ever suffered from burn in? is that what you are saying? If so, I can refute that right at the get-go, as my Note 2 has plenty of burn-in.

No, I'm saying the problem is greatly exaggerated. Are you saying that because your phone has burn-in that all Amoled screens do? If so, I can refute that.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The problem exists yes, burn ins do happen. But in the general run of things most people either do not experience it or do not care, or do not notice.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm saying the problem is greatly exaggerated. Are you saying that because your phone has burn-in that all Amoled screens do? If so, I can refute that.

I am NOT saying that everyone's AMOLED screens have burn-in. But it is not uncommon, either.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I am NOT saying that everyone's AMOLED screens have burn-in. But it is not uncommon, either.

I haven't seen one phone out there in my entire life with a screen burn in. Not in videos. Not in reviews either. Not being mentioned by anyone. Except here in the forums.

And I just went on YouTube to see how many people have posted this issue. Found a bunch of S3s. One nexus 6. And one s6 edge demo unit. One S5 demo unit.

Then I went and Googled it. Found threads of people "asking" about the burn in. And one or two people reporting that they have experienced it.

With the amount Samsung phones sold I think the evidence would've been in abundance if it was a issue. 10 out of a million doesn't count as an issue in my books.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen one phone out there in my entire life with a screen burn in. Not in videos. Not in reviews either. Not being mentioned by anyone. Except here in the forums.

And I just went on YouTube to see how many people have posted this issue. Found a bunch of S3s. One nexus 6. And one s6 edge demo unit. One S5 demo unit.

Then I went and Googled it. Found threads of people "asking" about the burn in. And one or two people reporting that they have experienced it.

With the amount Samsung phones sold I think the evidence would've been in abundance if it was a issue. 10 out of a million doesn't count as an issue in my books.

I'd think it's a lot more than that though. Lol. Wouldn't be surprised to see 100k out the 10million sold, or even 1 million out of 10 million. The question would be if they were significant enough for the user to have noticed. The most likely burn in would be on the signal bars on the status bar. But if you think about it, it won't be noticeable at all if there were any.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'd think it's a lot more than that though. Lol. Wouldn't be surprised to see 100k out the 10million sold, or even 1 million out of 10 million. The question would be if they were significant enough for the user to have noticed. The most likely burn in would be on the signal bars on the status bar. But if you think about it, it won't be noticeable at all if there were any.

You can youtube and Google yourself man I'm telling you there are only a few cases you'll find with actual proof of a burn in. Most of the people refer to the demo units. Those units sit for years with the display on.

And the very few I found were mostly 3 years old posts. I'm not stopping anyone Google yourself :D

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can youtube and Google yourself man I'm telling you there are only a few cases you'll find with actual proof of a burn in. Most of the people refer to the demo units. Those units sit for years with the display on.

And the very few I found were mostly 3 years old posts. I'm not stopping anyone Google yourself :D

I mean people who would posts videos only if they noticed the burn in, and if they cared enough about it. If they didn't mind it at all, or if the burn in was so small and out of the way that it would only be seen on very careful scrutiny.

The issue is certainly underreported, but it's severity/importance is greatly exaggerated.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I've never posted one picture (or video) of my screen. why would I? I don't have to prove it. You can remain in denial all you like. You must come from a generation that believes full on in "if there's no video, it didn't happen". Right...

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've never posted one picture (or video) of my screen. why would I? I don't have to prove it. You can remain in denial all you like. You must come from a generation that believes full on in "if there's no video, it didn't happen". Right...

Hahaha you're funny. No I'm not from that generation. I am from the generation that if I can't find it on Google it doesn't exist.

And it won't hurt if you post a picture. All it will do is confirm that I'm stupid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo