Took my S7 from VZW to T-Mobile today. Need some HELP Please.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had it with Verizon and today I switched to T-Mobile. My S7 is a Verizon variant model and I have 2 questions:

1) When checking for software updates, I keep receiving a "software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later" message. Is this normal and if not, how can I update my S7 to the latest software with a Verizon S7 model?

2) When i restart my device, I get a "Verizon SIM card is not installed" notification. Phone works and operates fine buy how do I get rid of this notification? I have Package Disabler Pro installed - is there a service that I can DISABLE to get rid of it?

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I've had it with Verizon and today I switched to T-Mobile. My S7 is a Verizon variant model and I have 2 questions:

1) When checking for software updates, I keep receiving a "software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later" message. Is this normal and if not, how can I update my S7 to the latest software with a Verizon S7 model?

2) When i restart my device, I get a "Verizon SIM card is not installed" notification. Phone works and operates fine buy how do I get rid of this notification? I have Package Disabler Pro installed - is there a service that I can DISABLE to get rid of it?

Did you leave because of Nougat? How are you getting a VZW phone to work on a GSM network? I thought VZW was CDMA?

mitsgsx

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you leave because of Nougat? How are you getting a VZW phone to work on a GSM network? I thought VZW was CDMA?
You won't get updates that way, all future updates can be done with a computer. Just pull down the top of the screen and swipe closed the sim message. It only pops up when you power up your phone.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

VZW phones are unlocked and will work on ATT and TMo. No I didn't leave because of a software update, I left because:

w/ VZW (2 lines; 12 GB data) for $120 per month inc taxes/fees

w/ TMo (2 lines; Unlimited Data) for $80 per month inc taxes/fees + $325 rebate

Kind of a no-brainer. Yes I know that Verizon has slightly better service but for that price I can live w/ T-Mobile.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
All lte Verizon phones are unlocked. They have the gsm bands for T-Mobile and at&t.

Yeah but I noticed that my data drops from LTE to 3G while I'm on a phone call. T-Mobile tech said that it's because the phone is not fully compatible for TMo's network even though it's unlocked. This issue is not apparent with the iPhone though which is on my second line and it works flawlessly.

Not a deal breaker but it sucks that I can't get 4G LTE speeds on my S7 while the phone is being used.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To get the update ota you will need a verizon sim. The update is however not live yet.

Yeah that's what a Samsung rep at a Best Buy store told me. I'll just take my phone to their station when the update releases and they'll do a force update on my S7.

Anyone know what service to disable (Package Disabler Pro app) that prevents the stupid Verizon SIM card notification from showing everytime the phone is restarted.

mitsgsx

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I had a verizon s6 edge on metropcs(Tmobile) and it dropped off lte during a call but otherwise it worked great. Also I believe Tmobile could but wont enable volte because they mostly only enable it on their phones, same as their band 12 is blocked on almost all non Tmobile phones.

mitsgsx

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I didnt need a verizon sim when I recieved the security updates from verizon, I just connected it to my laptop and used,(cant remember which one) either verizon update assistant or smart switch.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I didnt need a verizon sim when I recieved the security updates from verizon, I just connected it to my laptop and used,(cant remember which one) either verizon update assistant or smart switch.
You only need the SIM to receive OTA updates.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
VZW phones are unlocked and will work on ATT and TMo. No I didn't leave because of a software update, I left because:

w/ VZW (2 lines; 12 GB data) for $120 per month inc taxes/fees

w/ TMo (2 lines; Unlimited Data) for $80 per month inc taxes/fees + $325 rebate

Kind of a no-brainer. Yes I know that Verizon has slightly better service but for that price I can live w/ T-Mobile.

Got it. Great deal. I might be leaving VZ soon. Good to know.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah but I noticed that my data drops from LTE to 3G while I'm on a phone call. T-Mobile tech said that it's because the phone is not fully compatible for TMo's network even though it's unlocked. This issue is not apparent with the iPhone though which is on my second line and it works flawlessly.

Not a deal breaker but it sucks that I can't get 4G LTE speeds on my S7 while the phone is being used.

Do they have any deals for new phones when you switch?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
All lte Verizon phones are unlocked.

No, not all. Verizon locks some prepaid phones for up to a year.

This happens when your phone isn't configured for or capable of voLTE on TMO, which is the case with your Verizon S7. Your phone has to fall back to a circuit switched (sub-LTE) network for the call to go through.

iPhones are much more carrier agnostic in that sense. I've seen that as long as the iPhone is fully network compatible, you don't have to worry about things like voLTE or WiFi calling working on TMO.

Kazakaz

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Just flash the T-Mobile firmware to it, then you will get OTA updates from T-Mobile whenever they come out. I'm currently using an AT&T S7 on Verizon flashed with Verizon's firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87