gs7 battery life issue

Aphyllous

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
okay i know what youre thinking but ive been to multiple threads without any luck whatsoever. my battery lasts me from 7:30 to - 4:00 everyday, which is weird because my use isnt even continuous. i get around 3 - 5 hours SOT and i think thats just too little. i use snapchat and instagram multiple times throughout the day. its very spotty. any help would be appreciated! :D

pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/7B6aE

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That won't answer anything yet. That's 6min off the plug. You need to look at the wakelocks when the phone is draining strangely.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So you're saying a 3 to 5 hour sot and 8 hour Battery life is normal?
No. I'm saying the battery reading seems normal from what you've posted.

You should use the phone more, and look at the stats, and post what's under the stats. You're giving us incomplete and unrelated readings. The wakelock readings you posted are normal because it only shows audioserver and you've been using snapchat which does send audio over the internet hence audioserver.

This means the new wakelock has nothing to do with the previous bad wakelock.

And try to post the picture directly here instead of some other hosting site.

Also, you have audio on for 3 hours, so it seems you've been doing more than just Instagram and Snapchat. Spotify? Pandora?

And you have other stuff running. That's whatsapp up there on your notifications. And that other one looks like that Discord.

Aphyllous

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
No. I'm saying the battery reading seems normal from what you've posted.

You should use the phone more, and look at the stats, and post what's under the stats. You're giving us incomplete and unrelated readings. The wakelock readings you posted are normal because it only shows audioserver and you've been using snapchat which does send audio over the internet hence audioserver.

This means the new wakelock has nothing to do with the previous bad wakelock.

And try to post the picture directly here instead of some other hosting site.

Also, you have audio on for 3 hours, so it seems you've been doing more than just Instagram and Snapchat. Spotify? Pandora?

And you have other stuff running. That's whatsapp up there on your notifications. And that other one looks like that Discord.

I use samsung music, could that be it? Also, I get tons of whatsapp and discord notifications but almost never use them. it sounds a bit weird but. and also what do you mean by under the stats? im a bit confused sorry.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I use samsung music, could that be it? Also, I get tons of whatsapp and discord notifications but almost never use them. it sounds a bit weird but. and also what do you mean by under the stats? im a bit confused sorry.
For example, during the time that wakelock ate your battery, I would have needed to see that. The succeeding wake locks would hsve nothing to do with that wakelock, since you've already recharged. We would see the contents of that wakelock.

Samsung music would have indeed caused the Wakelock since it was being used. So that's normal. Audioserver refers to audio being streamed online usually, or anything with media from the internet. Hence Snapchat and Instagram. It doesn't matter if you aren't opening Whatsapp or Discord. The fact that you are getting a lot of notifications from them means their running in the background connected to the internet, and using up battery.

5hrs SOT and 8hrs uptime could be normal depending on each person's usage. It would only be abnormal if this was a phone that was hardly being used. Your phone has a lot of things running, so it COULD BE normal.

A good example would be me and my mom. My old phone (Note 2) used to run around 5hrs SOT for me and 12hrs on a single charge. I handed it to my mom because she wanted a bigger phone than she had then, but didn't want to spend. That phone lasts her 3 days on a single charge on the same battery I used. Both are normal battery drainage but vary wildly because of usage patterns. My mom gets 4hrs SOT on that 3 days, but it's just calls and texts with the occasional Google search. Me I did have a lot of stuff in the background like Facebook, Twitter, Emails, did games like Asphalt, Hearthstone, etc.

Plus connecting to the internet via 4G increases battery usage a lot. I experimented on my S7E, and concluded that AOD adds 1-2% more per hour, WiFi adds another 1-2%, and 4G usage another 2%. So while my phone uses up only 1% per hour, if I have 4G on, it leaps to 3% per hour on standby. This increases is 4G is being used regularly like you do. And a lot of apps are running in the background using the internet. The more apps running, the more the battery usage on 4G.

Then you have to consider stuff like themes. Whiter themes means more battery usage due to AMOLED tech. Darker means less power used. So if you have been using Instagram and Snapchat for 3 hours, both have predominantly white themes, while having Samsung music playing in the background, while having Discord, WhatsApp and whatever else running in the background, a usage of over 10% an hour seems reasonable. I mean my usage jumps from 4% an hour (AOD+4G+normal drain) to 17% an hour if I play a game called War Robots. And that's with nothing else but the game.

Aphyllous

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
For example, during the time that wakelock ate your battery, I would have needed to see that. The succeeding wake locks would hsve nothing to do with that wakelock, since you've already recharged. We would see the contents of that wakelock.

Samsung music would have indeed caused the Wakelock since it was being used. So that's normal. Audioserver refers to audio being streamed online usually, or anything with media from the internet. Hence Snapchat and Instagram. It doesn't matter if you aren't opening Whatsapp or Discord. The fact that you are getting a lot of notifications from them means their running in the background connected to the internet, and using up battery.

5hrs SOT and 8hrs uptime could be normal depending on each person's usage. It would only be abnormal if this was a phone that was hardly being used. Your phone has a lot of things running, so it COULD BE normal.

A good example would be me and my mom. My old phone (Note 2) used to run around 5hrs SOT for me and 12hrs on a single charge. I handed it to my mom because she wanted a bigger phone than she had then, but didn't want to spend. That phone lasts her 3 days on a single charge on the same battery I used. Both are normal battery drainage but vary wildly because of usage patterns. My mom gets 4hrs SOT on that 3 days, but it's just calls and texts with the occasional Google search. Me I did have a lot of stuff in the background like Facebook, Twitter, Emails, did games like Asphalt, Hearthstone, etc.

Plus connecting to the internet via 4G increases battery usage a lot. I experimented on my S7E, and concluded that AOD adds 1-2% more per hour, WiFi adds another 1-2%, and 4G usage another 2%. So while my phone uses up only 1% per hour, if I have 4G on, it leaps to 3% per hour on standby. This increases is 4G is being used regularly like you do. And a lot of apps are running in the background using the internet. The more apps running, the more the battery usage on 4G.

Then you have to consider stuff like themes. Whiter themes means more battery usage due to AMOLED tech. Darker means less power used. So if you have been using Instagram and Snapchat for 3 hours, both have predominantly white themes, while having Samsung music playing in the background, while having Discord, WhatsApp and whatever else running in the background, a usage of over 10% an hour seems reasonable. I mean my usage jumps from 4% an hour (AOD+4G+normal drain) to 17% an hour if I play a game called War Robots. And that's with nothing else but the game.

Hmm okay. I might freeze the apps for a day or something and see if anything changes.

Aphyllous

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
Extreme battery drain issue

Okay so I am at my wits end here. I am having extreme battery drain and I've tried every single little thing to get my battery to last. Nothing is working. Today I got a 1:30 screen on time which is just ridiculous to me. I unplugged my phone at 7:35 in the morning. It died at 3:30. I own a gs7 and know tons of people who get way better battery on theirs. I simply need my phone to last way longer than this. The standby drain along with regular drain is beyond ridiculous. Could anyone possibly help?
https://imgur.com/gallery/QyKDt
Here are some pictures of GSAM battery monitor.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I read through the thread and looked at all of your images. Something strange seems to be going on with the system -- have you already tried booting into Safe Mode (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28008)? Obviously, you won't be able to use your 3rd party apps in Safe Mode, but if the battery drain persists, then we know it's a system problem, and not something you installed.

If it persists in Safe Mode, try wiping the cache partition, if you haven't already: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24999. If that doesn't work, then consider reinstalling the firmware, in case something there is corrupt: http://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29914

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress