Does the Symmetry clear case provide good drop protection?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone is using the clear Otterbox Symmetry case and if it offers good drop protection. Does it have a lot of lip on it?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have it. I don't use it anymore, the first one the phone was loose in the case, they replaced it wanted to charge me $5 shipping for their faulty case, after a little griping they waived the shipping. It has OK grip, the screen edges are not completely covered. I have never dropped my phone, so can't answer on that, it's an Otterbox so it should offer some depending on how the phone hits. I personally didn't like the clear symmetry, fingerprint smudges constantly, it is easy to scratch even though it says scratch resistant, and I think it looks cheap, just a piece of plastic. Otterbox should have added color to the edges, maybe they will later. If you like wiping your phone all the time, then clear is for you, so the clear part is personally me, I hate wiping the phone all the time. And it's expensive.

If you want a case that is. Similar to the symmetry and $10 cheaper, look at the UAG plasma, there are 4 colors and they are nice cases, feather light.

If you looking for cases that come up as even with the screen as possible to have the edge usabe, look at the following.

Otterbox defender
UAG monarch
Incipio dual layer pro
Speck president grip

I haven't looked at the defender, but people say the screen edge has good protection. I've seen the rest. The incipio is the cheapest and to me is on the slippery side a little bit, the rubber edges Flex a tad to much for me. The speck doesn't look the greatest, and is a pain to take off, very snug fit. The monarch is easy to put on and take off, feels good, and light weight, doesn't add a lot of bulk. Of the above cases, the defender has the rubber flaps that cover the port holes, something I hate, again personal choice. Some say to just cut them off, but that doesn't look good either, done that before. Defender users say the bulk of it is the best they have seen.

My choice is the monarch, but that's me. Flossy has a great video on UAG cases, shows them all. There videos on the others to.

https://youtu.be/SA-EMQH8Bck

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
the clear symmetry gives adequate drop protection for every day use. that said, it scratches way too easily. 5 days of use and the back is scratched horribly in 2 places without ever dropping it. I ended up switching to the Speck Presidio Clear.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
the clear symmetry gives adequate drop protection for every day use. that said, it scratches way too easily. 5 days of use and the back is scratched horribly in 2 places without ever dropping it. I ended up switching to the Speck Presidio Clear.

I looked at the speck at Best Buy, the clear one and it looks more premium than the Otterbox Symmetry clear. That is one thing I've heard about the Symmetry is the sides don't go up for enough and also from the looks of videos.

I currently use the Defender and like it. Was just wanting to spice it up a big. I also have the caseology Legion case and that is an outstanding case too. Feels great in the hands.

I just don't like how the Defenders squeek after awhile when the plastic shell tabs wear after taking it apart a few times. Supcase is okay. I've had those before. I'd take that over the Symmetry probably.

I wish Tech21 would come out with the Evo Tactical XT for the s8 but they are not they told me. Had it for my Note 7 and it have excellent side protection of the edges.

I Blason Armorbox looks solid also.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the speck at Best Buy, the clear one and it looks more premium than the Otterbox Symmetry clear. That is one thing I've heard about the Symmetry is the sides don't go up for enough and also from the looks of videos.

I currently use the Defender and like it. Was just wanting to spice it up a big. I also have the caseology Legion case and that is an outstanding case too. Feels great in the hands.

I just don't like how the Defenders squeek after awhile when the plastic shell tabs wear after taking it apart a few times. Supcase is okay. I've had those before. I'd take that over the Symmetry probably.

I wish Tech21 would come out with the Evo Tactical XT for the s8 but they are not they told me. Had it for my Note 7 and it have excellent side protection of the edges.

Try the UAG monarch to spice it up a little. Nice case, compares to the defender and no flaps.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

Update. Somehow my Speck got a massive scratch in the back now too. Not sure where it came from as I didn't drop the phone.

I'm starting to think the best case I will have for this phone is the cheapest one I have...the Spigen Thin Fit.

SIKRIK

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought a black OtterBox symmetry case with my phone. It went directly from the box into the case. A week later when I pulled the phone out of the case, it was scratched! THE CASE ACTUALLY SCRATCHED THE PHONE!!! When I called OtterBox they acted like they didn't believe me at first, then they told me that they aren't responsible for phone damage but, they would be happy to send me another case. Luckily I bought the case from Verizon too so, I did get the scratched up phone replaced.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the Defender case and have never had an issue with the phone getting scratched. However, the polycarbonate inner layer wraps around the GS8 with the silicone layer over it. Phones are always pristine.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I still stand by speck cases, and I love tech 21 cases too. spigen cases are good too... but I love speck.

I decided to give the Speck Presidio in Matte Black a chance. Now this is a case I can fall in love with. Just awesome.

It's really too bad the clear is so scratch prone...because it really is a beautiful case and blows away my Symmetry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa