Rooting an S8+

SIKRIK

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Looking for for input. Rooting my phone appears to be my only solution for being able to use Google assistant since Samsung has rendered it nonfunctional. I understand the risks but, right now my new phone is useless for the one feature that I must have.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Looking for for input. Rooting my phone appears to be my only solution for being able to use Google assistant since Samsung has rendered it nonfunctional. I understand the risks but, right now my new phone is useless for the one feature that I must have.

Really. Mine seems to work fine with Google.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My world fine on my S8+. Sorry you're having problems.

SIKRIK

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Verizon. OK Google stopped working when I installed a Samsung update yesterday. After I posted that inquiry, I was able to reach Samsung 2nd level tech support and was told that OK Google is no longer an option since Bixby is now being offered. The fact that Bixby offers no voice recognition yet nor is there any indication of how long it will be didn't seem to be of any concern. When I explained that I really need that capability, it was suggested that I call Google. Of course Google said that it is not their issue.

SIKRIK

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Whichever one Samsung released this week. I'm glad everybody has fully functional devices for now. I'm not so fortunate and I'm really trying to find a solution besides smashing this P.O.S. into small pieces and sending it back to Verizon in a f*cling baggie.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You may have to bite the bullet and wipe the device. If it's a software issue at the OS Level, it may help resolve this issue.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Whichever one Samsung released this week. I'm glad everybody has fully functional devices for now. I'm not so fortunate and I'm really trying to find a solution besides smashing this P.O.S. into small pieces and sending it back to Verizon in a f*cling baggie.

A possible solution for your issue can only be resolved with more information which several folks have asked for. When you go to the doctor do you just say... 'I hurt?'

natefish

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
What info has been asked for that I didn't provide?

See two posts above your last one. Did you wipe cache and app data? Wiping whole device shouldn't be a big issue if you've been using Samsung Cloud. I've had to wipe my S8+ and it restored perfectly.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Mine works just fine. Try to take people's advice and wipe cache and data for Google or factory reset your device. Also, try a package disabler app and disable bixby ... that should definitely resolve any conflict between Google assistant and bixby that might be occurring on your device. Also, what was the update? System level update, or an update for something in the Galaxy apps store? I'm on Verizon and never got a system level update 3 weeks ago, so I'm confused with what you're referring to. You need to be more specific if you want assistance. Can't just go "whichever one Samsung released this week" because that means literally nothing to anyone trying to assist you.

SIKRIK

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine works just fine. Try to take people's advice and wipe cache and data for Google or factory reset your device. Also, try a package disabler app and disable bixby ... that should definitely resolve any conflict between Google assistant and bixby that might be occurring on your device. Also, what was the update? System level update, or an update for something in the Galaxy apps store? I'm on Verizon and never got a system level update 3 weeks ago, so I'm confused with what you're referring to. You need to be more specific if you want assistance. Can't just go "whichever one Samsung released this week" because that means literally nothing to anyone trying to assist you.

The fix for the OK Google issue on S8 & S8+ is to have the software re-flashed by Samsung or one of their retailers such as Best Buy. Other than rooting the device, there is nothing that can be done at the consumer level nor with tech support assistance that will resolve the issue.

anon(3732391)

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Wiping the cache and data had no effect. FINALLY told that I had to re-flash the phones OS

After 9+ years with only Blackberrys I just purchased an S8+.
I love being able to use themes again and before i even had the device completely set up I was off and theming and got a bit lost between different launchers and losing Google.
doing a wipe back to factory was a breeze.
Hold the Volume up, Bixby, and Power buttons at the same time, and keep them held down until you see the Samsung logo.
After 30 seconds, you should see the Android Recovery Menu. ...
Press the Volume down button four times, until Wipe data/Factory reset is highlighted. Take only about 30 seconds to wipe.then hit the "Reboot" "yes" and the Samsung Logo will appear. For about a minute, nothing will happen.. Wait! the OS will download automatically and you'll be back with everything updated.
After doing this many times, I decided to do the entire set up with the original theme including setting. Then, I was able to theme away.
I found that if i signed into google first then into my Samsung account I did'n't lose Google.

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
My ok Google works just fine... most recent updates on verizon... whoever told you that reflash crap doesn't know what they're talking about... lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non