cant get notifications from apps

Sagi Fern

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
For some time now (i beleive its over a year) i dont get notifications from some of my apps. (mostly on Facebook and youtube).
Only when I go into the app itself i see the notification inside it.
I want to see the notification as push on my top task bar , or as a number icon on the app icon.
I am not using battery saver mode.
all apps have permissions for notifications.
On the other hand for example the mail and whatsapp apps show notifications.
i also went through all the options in this youtube video - none of them helped (although its for Note10 its the same menus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxZUu1Mzmo

(Galaxy S8 , Android 9)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sagi Fern

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Additional data: when i go on the upper roll down menu to notification settings - - latest notifications, it shows me as if the apps did present the notifications. But they did not..
Very wierd

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I rearranged the thread a bit, deleting your original post and making your 2nd post the main one.

What about the questions I asked above?

Sagi Fern

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen if you turn off the battery saver? Are those apps Battery Optimized in the system settings? If they are, turn optimization off.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

This was the mistake in my original post. Battery saver is off. Otimization for these apps is also off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you never installed an app that supposedly "cleans" or "boosts" your phone, then most likely you don't have one. However, sometimes apps will sneak in hidden or unwanted "features" that might include this.

Do you get proper notifications in Safe Mode? https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/samsung-galaxy-s8/safe-mode-samsung-galaxy-s8. You won't be able to test 3rd party apps you installed, but I assume YouTube was preinstalled, so that should still work.

Sagi Fern

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
If you never installed an app that supposedly "cleans" or "boosts" your phone, then most likely don't have one. However, sometimes apps will sneak in hidden or unwanted "features" that might include this.

Do you get proper notifications in Safe Mode? https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/samsung-galaxy-s8/safe-mode-samsung-galaxy-s8. You won't be able to test 3rd party apps you installed, but I assume YouTube was preinstalled, so that should still work.

One more thing I forgot, maybe related, Youtube vanced was installed from apk, however I dont get notifications from the regular youtube app so i'm not sure its related.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could be related. (BTW, we generally don't allow discussions about Vanced, since it violates YouTube's terms of service, so let's just leave it at that.:))

Sagi Fern

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
If you never installed an app that supposedly "cleans" or "boosts" your phone, then most likely you don't have one. However, sometimes apps will sneak in hidden or unwanted "features" that might include this.

Ok, I tried safe mode and indeed I got a notification from youtube after a while.
What could be the reason?

Just to say, the issue existed even before i installed the "not allowed for discussion app"..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It still suggests that something you installed is causing the interference. The challenging part now is to figure out what -- that can be tedious, because you might have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away. If the issue started recently, then start with apps you recently installed or updated.

Sagi Fern

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
It still suggests that something you installed is causing the interference. The challenging part now is to figure out what -- that can be tedious, because you might have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away. If the issue started recently, then start with apps you recently installed or updated.

Wow.. That is challenging..
I carry the issue for over a year, it will be very difficult to understand which is the culprut app..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How many apps do you have installed? If it isn't a huge number, you could share the list here and maybe someone might recognize one as being suspicious.