S8 battery and battery life

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What capacity and type of battery would you like to see in the S8? Something monstrous? Removable? Or something slimmer/low profile with a little less life? A lot of options here, what do you think Samsung will do?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
For me, I hope the smaller S8 jumps to the battery size of the current S7 Edge, and the larger one at least hits 4,000 MAH. Those larger screens will need some battery stamina.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Whatever configuration they end up with for the S8, I expect and trust it will be the most efficient as possible. We've seen devices with larger batteries, but horrible software and resource management. We've seen devices with downgraded processors and screen resolution that can go for days between charges.

It's 2017. I (and maybe alot of other people) don't want to worry about switching the radio off, disabling apps, and all the other tasks required to achieve optimal battery life. What it really should come down to is, how much data is being sent and received over the radio, screen brightness and SOT (gaming is also a factor in battery life).

Is it unreasonable to expect all day battery life at this point?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree with your points. All of them. All day battery life is a must... and I really don't want to fuss with switching services off/on. Just give me something that works and gets me through the day (comfortably).

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
For the S8 to have a Battery the size of the S7E, it would have to be as big as a S7E.

I do not think Samsung as they have said, will bring back the removable battery.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Looking back on previous battery sizes. We had 2,800 in the S5 and 3,000mAh in the S7 so... I think if they bumped to 3,200 mAh that should be perfect.

We apparently getting a more power efficient processor so that will help.

A droid a day, keep the apple away.

davidsmith36

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
We expect that Samsung will provide a battery with size more than 4000 mAh in the Samsung galaxy S8. It would be a wise decision to provide a battery bigger than 4000 mAh as Samsung is planning to add a new processor which might eat a lot of battery.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I want the s8 to have a 4000 mah battery and 6h of on screen time minimum

I'm all for a massive battery with like 9 hours SOT. That will be amazing and will last easily 2 days but I don't want it to end up like the Note 7. If we do get 4,000mAh that would be amazing but it has to be safe capacity. :)

A droid a day, keep the apple away.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think a removable battery would be a great direction for Samsung to go in, especially with what has happened this year. I love removable batteries in general, and that is one of the only things I am missing in my device now.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will go back to removable battery for the S8. It would interfere with waterproofing for one thing. I wouldn't mind a little thicker phone if it came with say a 4000 mAh battery.

wakafc

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
For the S8 to have a Battery the size of the S7E, it would have to be as big as a S7E.

I do not think Samsung as they have said, will bring back the removable battery.
Incorrect. Smaller internal components, slightly thicker, design enhancements, technology enhancements, are just a couple of things which would enable a similar sized battery to exist in a smaller device.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Who wants a phone smaller than a S7E

I don't.
I'm not thrilled about the s7edge screen. I want a larger screen. A 5.7 or "flat 5.5" would be better for me personally. I have a Nexus 6P coming in the mail today as a 2ndary phone so interested to check that out. Will be very interested in the S8 series/ Note 8

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not thrilled about the s7edge screen. I want a larger screen. A 5.7 or "flat 5.5" would be better for me personally. I have a Nexus 6P coming in the mail today as a 2ndary phone so interested to check that out. Will be very interested in the S8 series/ Note 8

I like how on the note 7 Screen it wasn't as curved at the S7E screen. Thus your hands don't touch it as easily.
The Note 7 could of been a little wider also.

I liked the Note 7 better than any phone I've ever had.

The wait to see what they are gonna come out with sucks.
Got this time frame that we have to wait on,
Like it won't sell if we release it any sooner.
If you don't have things down already and can't go ahead with plans.
There is where the problem is.