I have a Galaxy S8 in my hands — AMA!

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I believe many people, including myself, thought it was more sophisticated (ie. 3d scanning). I believe that simple facial recognition was added in ICS. Sounds like Iris scanning will be the best security, if it'll work better than the Note 7.
It would be tough to use the iris scanner while driving though....

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It would be tough to use the iris scanner while driving though....

Errr, don't use your phone when driving!! It should be only used hands free via bluetooth. You should be able to control it from the car itself! I am still amazed at how many people I see driving down the freeway at 70+ mph and typing on their phones! What is more amazing is how many states haven't made this illegal.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Errr, don't use your phone when driving!! It should be only used hands free via bluetooth. You should be able to control it from the car itself! I am still amazed at how many people I see driving down the freeway at 70+ mph and typing on their phones! What is more amazing is how many states haven't made this illegal.

I Agree 100%. It's now illegal in CA.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Laws have not stopped many from using phones inappropriately in cars. Especially bad when person does it while waiting for light and does not notice or care when light changes. Justifiable homicide is not too harsh for those.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't know how you get it but @Daniel Bader does the S8 has some clues on if it will work with Daydream?

Does it has the Daydream app installed? if not, have you tried the device in a Daydream Headset and installing the app?
Neither support Daydream, does not have the Daydream app installed and the Daydream app from the Playstore will not install.
Samsung, it appears, wants everyone to use their VR.
Wander over to XDA and read about it.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Laws have not stopped many from using phones inappropriately in cars. Especially bad when person does it while waiting for light and does not notice or care when light changes. Justifiable homicide is not too harsh for those.

Honestly... at a stop light is fine with me, usually a horn honk and everyone is on their way. But using while in motion..... is worse than drunk driving IMO!!!!

20 second inconvenience vs a human life, just for perspective.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, for the next couple of days I have a Galaxy S8 to put through its paces. The hardware is pre-production, and the software isn't final (though it's close) so I thought I'd get a discussion going....

Is there a noticeable longer range with Bluetooth 5.0?

Have you tried downloading BX Actions from Playstore and remapping Bixby Button? Does is allow 3 different actions to open ANY application of your choosing as demonstrated in this vid? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BtU3ToNJY&t=85s

Thanks! BTC

offsidebowler

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site

I feel the same way every time I see it. It shouldn't even have to be illegal.

Phone use vs drink driving: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16884056

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
This is the least active AMA in AMA history. lol

yeah...nothing like starting an AMA for one of the biggest flagship launches of the year, then abandoning it after one round of responses. Apparently the S8 wasn't "in his hands" for very long.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, like maybe something came up like a family emergency or something, but still . . . .
Possibly just busy too, there was no podcast this past week. Wasn't it a preproduction unit also? Or not final software? The embargo still seems to be up, no reviews yet. I'm sure there's only so much he can say.

No excuses, he did create the thread.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Gsh.. I wish everyone would stop bumping this dead thread to the top of my timeline.... LOL

Now I am a contributor to the dead thread bump.... dam you guys!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty