Does the iris scanner work with glasses or not?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a couple of YouTube videos of the defunct Note 7 that demonstrated the iris scanner working clearly with glasses. Despite the disclaimer from Samsung that it may not.

Anyone else that can verify? I assume with the S8 phones that the iris scanner would have been improved by now over the Note 7.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It worked fine for me on the note 7. It even worked with my tinted glasses. However, it was far slower than the fingerprint scanner, so I rarely used it.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The manual states "For best results, remove eyeglasses and sunglasses" which suggests that it will works but might night always be as accurate.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it might depend on the type of glasses. On the Note 7 I could never get it to work with my glasses (progressive) while it worked every time when I took the glasses off.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My Note 7 iris scanner worked fine with my glasses that I had at the time. My new glasses have the Crizal Prevencia coating on them that gives off a purple tint. I'm looking forward to seeing if this affects the iris scanner on my wife's S8+.

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up my S8+ a few hours ago and the iris scanner works perfectly with my glasses on. I set it up in a brightly lit room with my glasses off and it has worked just as well in a dim room with just the light from the TV shining on my face. Seems better than I remember from the Note 7.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Other than maybe operating a motor vehicle (in which case you either shouldn't be using your phone anyway, or you should at least use it hands-free), why couldn't you just take your glasses off for 1-2 seconds when using iris scanning?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
My Note 7 was 40% so I couldn't bother.

I do prefer this method but I hope it does work with glasses even better if it does with sunglasses. LOL

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
My Note 7 was 40% so I couldn't bother.

I do prefer this method but I hope it does work with glasses even better if it does with sunglasses. LOL

I've had the phone for about 6 hours and I've used the iris scanner about 95% of the time already to unlock the phone. The S8+ is pretty tall so accessing the FPS is slightly awkward for me but I don't think it will be an issue with how well the iris scanner works.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
On the Note 7 in MY experience it didn't work well (both contacts and glasses seemed to throw it off), BUT if you watch Mr. Mobile's review of the S8 line, he even got them to work with sun glasses (but he does mention that it gets thrown off by bright sunlight, which makes sense if the sensor works with IR).

dannyboy374

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have polarized sunglasses, and as long as they aren't fully reflecting anything bright, it unlocks super fast. It caught me off guard, I was outside in the sun and checked my phone for the time and the screen unlocked. So I tried dozens of times and was able to get it to unlock with dark sunglasses as long as my face was in shadow. I could stare at it without it working when I had bright glare, and I slowly moved my hand to shield the direct sun from my face and as the shadow hit my sunglasses it immediately unlocked. Pretty good Iris scanner.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I find the iris scanner to be effective about 95% of the time. Less effective than it was on my Note 7, but still very reliable. Once it even worked when I was wearing my mirrored polarized Oakleys, surprised the hell out of me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38