S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I saw where I could set a schedule for AOD, and I saw where to turn the Edge clock on. But I couldn't find how to switch between the two on a schedule
Yep, I can't figure it out either. That was pretty much the killer use of the Edge screen when sleeping at night. It was super easy to see the time while sleeping right next to it at eye level.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I about had a stroke lol. I went into a Starbucks, got a drink, came out and started driving away. Couldn't find my S8+....realized left it in the coffee shop. Ran like a crazy woman and the k god it was sitting by the creamers. 😐heart rate back back to normal almost..

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I about had a stroke lol. I went into a Starbucks, got a drink, came out and started driving away. Couldn't find my S8+....realized left it in the coffee shop. Ran like a crazy woman and the k god it was sitting by the creamers. 😐heart rate back back to normal almost..

Oh man!!! Glad you got it. Don't do that again!!

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Wonder how Android Device Manager compares to Apples Find my iPhone offering? Does Samsung have a remote lock/wipe app in addition to Google's?

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Bixby is really ruining the experience for me. The accidental bumps annoy me, the fact that it doesn't even work as advertised and the inability to remap the button have soured me on what otherwise would be a great device. The fingerprint scanner is a PITA too.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Bixby does suck really bad. Hubris is a beeuuch and Samsung leadership will use Bixby even though most consumers can't stand it. I was not planning on rooting, but Bixby might force my hand. Might.

Update: I disabled Bixby with Package Disabler. No more accidental button or swipes bringing Bixby up.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Wonder how Android Device Manager compares to Apples Find my iPhone offering? Does Samsung have a remote lock/wipe app in addition to Google's?

Android device manager is the native Android one, but Samsung's Find my Mobile does the same but I find that the management is more robust. Go to Lockscreen and Security-Find My Mobile and check it out.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Bixby does suck really bad. Hubris is a beeuuch and Samsung leadership will use Bixby even though most consumers can't stand it. I was not planning on rooting, but Bixby might force my hand. Might.
I think I am going to be parting with this S8. I wanted to give Anroid another shot but I miss my Apple Watch and the fact that Bixby sucks is making me rethink this.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Loving this phone. The size of the S8 is perfect for me but it took me a day to get used to the new aspect ratio, since I was still using my S7edge till my case arrived. However after a day with it, I'm completely fine. I had a few remorse moments on not getting the S8+ but that went away as this one fits so perfectly in my hand and I can use it one handed. I could not do that with the S8+.

The only annoying thing so far is this Bixby butting in while I'm trying to take a photo. I know there must be a way to get rid of that reminder, I just need to search and turn it off........ or something. I'm not sure how helpful Bixby is going to be but I'll give him a chance.

I am sooo glad to have 64GB of internal memory on board. The 32GB of my S7edge was constantly running out of internal memory and I had as much on the SD card as possible!

Once I clicked on the Bixby popup it no longer shows up when you go back in the camera again.

I also love the 64gb Internal memory. My previous phones plus my s7 edge had 32gb which was the only selection Tmobile had. I will never upgrade a phone again unless it has at least 64gb internal memory. I've had my s8+ for only 5 days. What a major difference with 64gb internal & 256gb card.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Android device manager is the native Android one, but Samsung's Find my Mobile does the same but I find that the management is more robust. Go to Lockscreen and Security-Find My Mobile and check it out.
I wish Verizon had Find My Mobile, but that is another feature they decided we did not need😒

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I think I am going to be parting with this S8. I wanted to give Anroid another shot but I miss my Apple Watch and the fact that Bixby sucks is making me rethink this.
Buy a S3 Frontier watch. I've had Apple Watch and now the S3. It's better even when using an iPhone.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
What is funny is Bixby isn't even done... They really screwed the pooch here. Most people won't give it a son second chance even if it is good later. Lol

I am not a fan when we already have Google Assistant. Plus Verizon disabled the shopping feature.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been accidentally pushing the Bixby button like it seems a lot of people have. I haven't found it a nuisance since it's not coming up when I don't want it to. I wonder if it's because of the case. The Spigen Tough Armor case has a different texture for the Bixby button then the volume ones and I haven't been bringing it up needlessly. LOL, I'm still one of the few looking forward to see what it can do in the future.

One thing I have been doing sometimes is pressing the home button when I meant to push the spacebar when typing. Using Swiftkey - I made the keyboard a little bigger and I no longer have the issue.

Another thing I like bout this phone is the notification and the edge light up. I think it's pretty cool and I like the way the notification pops up in that one line and disappears.

So far, I'm still so very pleased with the phone.

cpagan2000

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
thanks. I'll probably install Gboard from the get go

Well that can be changed without having to install another keyboard. I particularly like Samsungs keyboard its pretty fluid and matches the phones visual. Anyways to change the input go to Settings, General Management, Language and Input, Onscreen Keyboard, Manage Keyboards and Turn off Samsung Voice Input. Save precious by not having to install a redundant keyboard.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
First couple of days it ran like a champ. Now I'm starting to see the ever present Samsung latency issues, random drops in frame rates on the most basic of tasks, over aggressive app killing and the like. It's not super terrible, but coming from a Google Pixel it's night and day difference. Again Samsung you let me down. Tease me with your beautiful hardware only to be kicked in the face by poor software optimization.

Oh and changing the nav bar to another color other than white is broken. Once you open the keyboard it defaults back to white. That's how poorly Samsung software is optimized. Should have noticed that just in basic testing. I did find an app to keep it black, but I shouldn't need an app to fix a feature that's built into the phone.

Likely going back to the Pixel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty