Red tint on edges S8+

1jamesk1980

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
I seem to notice a red tint around the edges on white screens. Also it will have a red tint if you tilt the screen. Has anyone else experienced this?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Quite a few people are getting this. Samsung is releasing a software update that's supposed to fix it, but I would definitely exchange mine.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine seems a little off. It's hard for me to tell what it is though. I'm color blind so I see stuff weird anyway. I can tell it's too cool, but I can't tell if it's a cool pink or bluish tint. It's only in certain lighting and certain brightness levels.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have it on mine. It doesn't show when I select the adaptive display, just when I switch it to photo or cinema it's definitely a red hue. Since it isn't there with adaptive I'm going to assume that something needs to be tweaked in photo and cinema

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Not necessarily red but just an off color. It's sooo minor yet annoying. Seems to change based on angle I hold phone. Not sure if I want to exchange vs wait for software update. Given that it is uneven I'm more inclined to exchange.

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
That's interesting because I got a 300 Meg update this morning not sure if that was the fix it or didn't work

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Something to note called Samsung for a replacement and they only do returns you have to send the phone back and wait for your money this sucks

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Something to note called Samsung for a replacement and they only do returns you have to send the phone back and wait for your money this sucks
Did you order from Samsung? Why can't t we return to the carrier? I'm going to go to Verizon later today and try I'm just hesitant because I don't want to get any crap from them

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
That's what I figured. It's a software issue so why go thru the hassle to return the phone when the one you get might have it too and can simply be a software issue. No biggie.

Because I really do not think this will fix the issue. Turning down the red on my phone doesn't reduce the effect a little but not enough so if I could reduce it more it would be ok... it doesn't change it AT ALL so why would being able to reduce it even more help?
Also they open the phone for you and set it up in the store so if it had the same issue you would just return that too

Paravoz

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
If the whole screen is red, the software might fix the issue. However, I am not sure it can be fixed with software update if only the edges are red. Also, someone on reddit has a very noticeable red tint on one side of the edge only instead of both sides.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If the whole screen is red, the software might fix the issue. However, I am not sure it can be fixed with software update if only the edges are red. Also, someone on reddit has a very noticeable red tint on one side of the edge only instead of both sides.

I agree. Although I just went to Verizon to exchange it and what I noticed is it is a lot harder to see in very bright light or outside. I do not think the guy at the store could even see it lol. Doesn't matter anyways because he said that the stock they had were preorders and if I wanted to exchange I would need to come back in a few days or a week... I do not know if he was lying though. He did say I could talk to customer service though and have them exchange it (I bought it online) but I am not sure yet. I did turn down the red all the way again to try it and I guess it does help a little and at least it helps with seeing red all over when you move the screen at different angles.
I guess it works for now and I am not sure if I should bother talking to customer service yet.
I also agree with Ca_Ivn is now I am wondering if the overall look of the screen is way too blue now...

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I seem to notice a red tint around the edges on white screens. Also it will have a red tint if you tilt the screen. Has anyone else experienced this?

My S8 has pink on the edges and also across the top of the screen. I realize that AMOLED displays have pinkish hues when looking from a certain angle but I'm wondering if this is the same thing or not. My co-worker has an S8 and his display does not have this.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Again, I don't understand how it can be a software problem if only some phones have it. All S8 phones run the same software plus or minus the carrier bloat. So it would stand to reason if it were only a software issue all s8 and s8+ phones would have it or not have it. Mine is getting worse so I'm off to Verizon for an exchange.