My first S24Ultra complaint...

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
For sure. Not trying to knock your post. It's just funny how the conversation had been about every outlet writing an article based on a singular source, and then here's a video which is basically all the articles in audio form stating the same thing.

Maybe it's my 42 year old eyes, but my s24+'s display seems fine to me
I have 64+ year old eyes and my S24U looks fantastic! There are many adjustments besides the "vivid" mode which when adjusted can provide a truly exceptional image on the screen! I see nothing that needs "fixing" here.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm fortunate that I stopped using the Vivid mode during the Note20U era. So I don't see any difference.

Back then, after viewing photos from the phone on the computer & seeing the difference in coloring, I switched to Natural mode.

I wanted a more 'what you see is what you get' photo taking experience.
😄

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Read the previous posts. That came from ONE Samsung rep in Spain. Everyone is just repeating that one item. There has been nothing from Samsung Corp. One rep making a statement doesn't make it fact. It is single source reporting.

Everyone is leaving that detail out so they can get clicks.

Reactions: mlblack16

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Read the previous posts. That came from ONE Samsung rep in Spain. Everyone is just repeating that one item. There has been nothing from Samsung Corp. One rep making a statement doesn't make it fact. It is single source reporting.

Everyone is leaving that detail out so they can get clicks.
Exactly, it's all just click bait at this point and we all fall for it. Some YouTubers are really bad about pretending they have big news and it's crap they've already made a video on.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Here is a little tidbit. If you get a chance, go to anyplace that has demo models of the S24. I stopped by Best Buy yesterday afternoon and compared my S24 Ultra to the demo model. The demo model's display was noticeably more saturated and "vibrant."

Can Samsung push an update to fix this "issue"? Sure. Will it? That is up to Samsung and irrelevant. It's not worth getting upset about and losing sleep over. There are a lot more important things to worry about.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I prefer SwiftKey. Works well for me
Swiftkey works pretty good for me too. Although, I will admit that it was much better when it was Word Flow. I was using it on my Lumia 928 and Icon and it was amazingly fast and accurate. Swiftkey can be a little wonky at its word prediction sometimes. I still don't why it thought I was typing "gherkin" while texting. At no point prior that had I ever used that word in a texting (or even speaking) conversation.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is a little tidbit. If you get a chance, go to anyplace that has demo models of the S24. I stopped by Best Buy yesterday afternoon and compared my S24 Ultra to the demo model. The demo model's display was noticeably more saturated and "vibrant."

Can Samsung push an update to fix this "issue"? Sure. Will it? That is up to Samsung and irrelevant. It's not worth getting upset about and losing sleep over. There are a lot more important things to worry about.
I agree with you on not getting upset for sure. I do wonder though, based on your observations of the demo model, if the S24U's anti-reflective screen DOES have some effect on the color vividness of the screen! I know that to me the screen looks great and I am using it on the middle resolution setting/60. I also know that in the dark if you accidentally try to bring up the auto brightness setting by tapping on the 3 dots in the slider, and accidentally put the screen on full brightness...it is EYEBALL searingly bright!

Reactions: mustang7757

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I like the display on this device. It reminds me of the Note 4 and 5, before Samsung went all scorched earth saturation looney tunes cartoony.

This looks more professional and doesn't hurt my eyes, which caused me to lean more towards LG and Apple.
1000001656.png

Last edited:

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I agree with you on not getting upset for sure. I do wonder though, based on your observations of the demo model, if the S24U's anti-reflective screen DOES have some effect on the color vividness of the screen! I know that to me the screen looks great and I am using it on the middle resolution setting/60. I also know that in the dark if you accidentally try to bring up the auto brightness setting by tapping on the 3 dots in the slider, and accidentally put the screen on full brightness...it is EYEBALL searingly bright!
Does the ant-reflective display have an effect? Probably. But why would the demo models not have the same display as the production models? The models sent out to media outlets didn't seem to have this "problem" either. It would have been reported on BEFORE the devices shipped out en masse. Of course, people will cry out and say that Samsung did this on purpose as part of its marketing (without evidence). Since, "bate and switch" schemes are illegal in most countries, I don't think Samsung did it as a scheme to sell more phones. It would come back to bite them hard. Samsung, if anything, is not stupid.

I have my display set to auto brightness. I did notice that color saturation seems a little more vivid on brighter settings and flatter while dimmed.

I am wondering if it has to do with Progressive Width Modulation (PWM). I remember reading a recent article about this and the S24. Samsung adopted an iPhone display feature:

Increasing the PWM to alleviate the eye strain that causes some (many?) people to get nauseous could have affected the perceived color saturation. Does it affect the color space that Samsung displays use? If so, then I could see Samsung making the conscious decision to increase the PWM at the expense of vividness and perceived saturation. Since we become accustomed to Samsung displays being over saturated to begin with, people would almost immediately notice the "flatter" look and complain. But Samsung would rather have people complain about the perceived lack of saturation than people complaining about getting sick while using its phones. Furthermore, eye strain is a real issue and has become more of a problem with people always being face down in a phone or tablet. So the PWM scenario makes sense.

So why do the demo units look "normal" so to speak? Samsung knows that those will not be used by people for more than a few minutes at a time, so PWM induced nausea would less likely occur. It shipped demo units with the lower PWM. That, by the way, is just an assumption.

Whether it is because of the flat screen, the anti-reflective properties or the increased PWM, or a combination of them it is largely irrelevant. Two of the things that help me decide to upgrade from my S22 Ultra was the flat screen and anti-reflective properties. The increased PWM is icing since I have never experienced PWM induced nausea.

I am liking my S24 Ultra. It is not a big enough problem to want to send it back.

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I could barely have brightness on 5 mms w/ sg23u & was enuf. With this, sitting in Bright living room I need it 1/2 way. Vivid, no adaptive. Outside forget it ~ Burn battery burn.
And very sensitive to.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Does the ant-reflective display have an effect? Probably. But why would the demo models not have the same display as the production models? The models sent out to media outlets didn't seem to have this "problem" either. It would have been reported on BEFORE the devices shipped out en masse. Of course, people will cry out and say that Samsung did this on purpose as part of its marketing (without evidence). Since, "bate and switch" schemes are illegal in most countries, I don't think Samsung did it as a scheme to sell more phones. It would come back to bite them hard. Samsung, if anything, is not stupid.

I have my display set to auto brightness. I did notice that color saturation seems a little more vivid on brighter settings and flatter while dimmed.

I am wondering if it has to do with Progressive Width Modulation (PWM). I remember reading a recent article about this and the S24. Samsung adopted an iPhone display feature:

Increasing the PWM to alleviate the eye strain that causes some (many?) people to get nauseous could have affected the perceived color saturation. Does it affect the color space that Samsung displays use? If so, then I could see Samsung making the conscious decision to increase the PWM at the expense of vividness and perceived saturation. Since we become accustomed to Samsung displays being over saturated to begin with, people would almost immediately notice the "flatter" look and complain. But Samsung would rather have people complain about the perceived lack of saturation than people complaining about getting sick while using its phones. Furthermore, eye strain is a real issue and has become more of a problem with people always being face down in a phone or tablet. So the PWM scenario makes sense.

So why do the demo units look "normal" so to speak? Samsung knows that those will not be used by people for more than a few minutes at a time, so PWM induced nausea would less likely occur. It shipped demo units with the lower PWM. That, by the way, is just an assumption.

Whether it is because of the flat screen, the anti-reflective properties or the increased PWM, or a combination of them it is largely irrelevant. Two of the things that help me decide to upgrade from my S22 Ultra was the flat screen and anti-reflective properties. The increased PWM is icing since I have never experienced PWM induced nausea.

I am liking my S24 Ultra. It is not a big enough problem to want to send it back.
They will have the same display, It's pretty widely known that all displays in stores have their saturation cranked ridiculously high. This is both because of the lighting in shops and also just so they look better to most people. A lot of us may prefer more natural colour tones, but they don't look very enticing on a shop floor while sitting next to a competing display with it's colours ramped up.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I returned mines a week ago after event, wasn't impressed at all basically it's the S23 Ultra with a flat screen and newer processor and camera update, which isn't something that can't out perform my S23 Ultra, did a few test for 4 days , and to be honest my S23 Ultra it's just way faster and performance is better than S24 Ultra, that's my opinion, so will wait on the S25 Ultra, and keep using my S23 Ultra.

PS I'm surprised cause i always upgrade every year, but i just wasn't impressed with S24 Ultra.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I received my S24 Ultra this morning and I love the display, contrast, and black level. I have it on vivid and adaptive brightness. If the screen is too dark for you, just adjust the brightness to your liking. Pictures and videos are boosted in brightness if you have this setting on.
I agree. The blacks are blacker and color is better (though perhaps not cartoon-like vividness).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Where I have it set now (vivid, rgb sliders all the way up) my eyes are already adjusted to it and when I look at my S23U it now looks over saturated so my eyes have adjusted to the S24U and I will most likely not adjust it any more from here if a higher vividness adjustment comes out in a future update lol. This is no longer a complaint to me but it took a while for my eyes to adjust heh.