Returning phone will this mess up the VR promo?

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Sorry for making a whole thread about this, but I am about to go to Verizon to see if I can replace my phone because of the red tint issue. However, will this affect the samsung vr promotion? I was already approved and payed for the $99 bundle.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Technically, you will receive it (unless they check with the company you got it from before they ship the VR Set and find out it's been returned). Legally, though, (and morally) you should return it, as the ToS of both your phone and VR Promo agreement state that any promotional items are subject to return if the phone purchase is cancelled.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Technically, you will receive it (unless they check with the company you got it from before they ship the VR Set and find out it's been returned). Legally, though, (and morally) you should return it, as the ToS of both your phone and VR Promo agreement state that any promotional items are subject to return if the phone purchase is cancelled.

If he's returning it then yeah but if he's exchanging it for another S8 then I see no issue with keeping the promotional items if they still send it to him.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I assumed (like many did with the Note 7 and S7 Edge loaners) that he was going to place another VR order. :p

Yeah I meant I was exchanging it not returning it. And I guess I don't see the moral issue in keeping it then. I am not going to place another order and get two promotions.

Edit: reread your post. Yeah I am not going to place another order haha. Seems like that would be an easy thing to catch anyways because it is on the same line?

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

Sorry for making a whole thread about this, but I am about to go to Verizon to see if I can replace my phone because of the red tint issue. However, will this affect the samsung vr promotion? I was already approved and payed for the $99 bundle.

Samsung has issued a statement about the red tint and will be sending out an ota to rectify the situation. Is it that bad? Luckily, my phone doesn't have this issue

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I meant I was exchanging it not returning it. And I guess I don't see the moral issue in keeping it then. I am not going to place another order and get two promotions.

Edit: reread your post. Yeah I am not going to place another order haha. Seems like that would be an easy thing to catch anyways because it is on the same line?

You'd think that haha. But nope, a lot of people ended up getting up to three VRs or cards or whatever promo they selected from the Note 7/S7 Edge (one original Note 7, one S7 Edge loaner, one replacement Note 7).

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Samsung noticed that people were submitting 2-3 times but didn't care. They already had a big enough note 7 PR mess on their hands, didn't want to **** even more people off. Probably didn't even have the time/resources to devote to catching people doing it. Additionally, many felt they allowed it was an indirect way of saying "sorry" for the note 7 fiasco. My take on the whole situation anyways.

If you tried it now with the s8, I highly doubt it would go through.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
What's more you'll be able to get a second promotion with the second S8.

Last fall I got a Gear VR with a Note 7. Traded that in for an S7E and got a 256GB chip. Traded that in for a replacement Note 7 and got another Gear VR. Traded that in for another S7E and got another 256GB chip.

GoldlexusAN

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

You'll be fine. I had to return/exchange my s7 edge last year after submitting for the vr.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

You should be fine. Before the note 7 issue I returned one when I switched carriers but already claimed the free gifts. Samsung didn't care one bit when I asked them. Once you submitted with the appropriate documentation I don't think they care what happens after that. There's no requirement to keep the device.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
See? Morally (and quite legally) wrong, but there ya go, lot of people doing it. Like the other post said, though, Samsung (at least for the Note 7 since it was a hassle) didn't care.

But for your particular case it shouldn't be a problem. You already got registered and approved, you're getting your VR. Although for the red tint issue, since they announced an OTA patch I'm not sure if they'll agree to the exchange or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez