has anyone got Edge Lighting to work for alerts on an S8?

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The edge lighting is not an app. It's a built in function of the S8. It also has never worked for me. S8, ATT.
Edge Lighting is the name of an app that adds huge functionality to the built in edge lighting on the S8 and YES Edge Lighting (THE APP) does work.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
At least for me, if I am at a restaurant with my wife and there is a soft tablecloth I will turn my phone over so as to not be distracted by notifications. Obviously the irony here is that edge notifications work with the screen down but I actually do not notice notifications via edge lighting with the screen down. Primarily I do not want to see the blinking LED when I do this.

Yeah, I just realized that the Edge Lighting only works when the phone is face down. So mine works, but in a situation my phone will rarely if ever be in.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Built-in edge lighting works face up on my AT&T S8+. I have it set to work with the messaging app. It's cute. Wish you could set it work with regular phone calls as well.

fixitrod

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Verizon s8, it does not work. Turned it on to always. If you click on words Edge Lighting I set it to always and I have went into manage notifications at the bottom of that screen and turned it on for all apps. It does nothing. Have not tried the app. I'll wait for the fix.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I turned on the edge lighting just to see if there was an issue. It works for my text messages on textra. The light is faint when my phone is face up, but it works. I wanted to see if it would work with emails but it didn't. I'm on att btw.

ktklein72

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a T-Mo S8 a few days ago and have not gotten the Edge Lighting to work no matter how I've configured the phone. Hopefully Samsung fixes this sooner than later!

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon 8 plus only works with messaging and that's with ALL apps turned on/ settings correct etc. No other Apps or the phone will work... however it will work face up or down with messages.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
So I found an interesting thing with the Edge Lighting on my phone. It only works when I am the phone doing something the edge lighting works. When the phone is off and in any position it does not work. This is after the latest update, Sprint phone. Really only works when on the phone? that's an issue.

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Guys...you don't need that app. Those settings to enable edge lighting for different apps? That's built into the phone. Settings > Display > Edge screen > Edge lighting . Top right of screen make sure it's set to ON. Under "show edge lighting" choose "Always" or whatever preference you have. Then tap Manage Notifications just underneath that. Pick and choose what apps or top option is to choose ALL APPS. I did this and edge lighting works fine for notifications for all apps. In my case I have it set to come on for screen on and off

Yes i did the same & mine works too :)
But my Friends phone its not working

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed is that if I selectively choose apps for edge lighting, if the app is updated via play store, it will toggle the switch off and you need to turn it back on. For this reason I just leave the "all apps" toggle on.

onejahson

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Not only has edge lighting stopped working, now my icons on the lock screen don't show up. Also having issues with wireless charging working once or twice, then stops. Have to unplug/plug to reset and this happens on both of the chargers I have.

I returned my S8+ for a new one under the Samsung reps advice. My new device worked perfect and low and behold, those same 3 issues came back. Seems like a Sprint issue to me.

I saw the setting for lock screen notification icons once before, but for the life of me cannot find that setting anymore. Any help??

(Also I tried the separate app for edge lighting and that wouldn't work either!)

**UPDATE**
I figured out what was going on with my lock screen notifications, music player, and double tap home to unlock issue was. I had set my Screen Lock Type to "None" because I didn't like having to unlock and then swipe (or use any other lock feature), I just want to open the phone the easiest way possible. I didn't think the lock screen settings were tied into the Always On Display features. I put that setting back to "Swipe" and those features were back. I didn't realize that the other setting of holding the Home Button to bypass the lock screen was different so with that on the minimal lock setting of Swipe it's all good. Now I wait for the Edge Lighting bug to be fixed..

Last edited:

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to add to this thread, my edge lighting is not working either.. it's working while the phone is in use, but absolutely nothing happens while the screen is off, doesn't matter if it's face down. I spent the past half hour trying to get it to work, no luck. I hope a fix is released soon.

Sean5498

May 18, 2017
Visit site
So...I think I've finally figured out how to get S8 Edge lighting to work. I've tried ever single suggestion on here to no avail. Somehow got lucky playing with settings and it works. In settings under display- tap on screen mode. At bottom there is a "Screen Edge Color Balance" just adjust one notch in whatever direction doesn't really make much difference. Will get message "may take up to 10 minutes and phone may restart twice". Mine took about 20 seconds and restarted and now it WORKS! no need for a 3rd party app. Hope this helps end some of the frustration I'm reading.

Last edited:

gundam212

May 25, 2017
Visit site
So...I think I've finally figured out how to get S8 Edge lighting to work. I've tried ever single suggestion on here to no avail. Somehow got lucky playing with settings and it works. In settings under display- tap on screen mode. At bottom there is a "Screen Edge Color Balance" just adjust one notch in whatever direction doesn't really make much difference. Will get message "may take up to 10 minutes and phone may restart twice". Mine took about 20 seconds and restarted and now it WORKS! no need for a 3rd party app. Hope this helps end some of the frustration I'm reading.

Works like a charm!

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Tried this, didn't work for all apps. I'm only getting it for Textra, CNN, Facebook & Twitter. It did fix this little red tint issue I was having at the bottom of my nav bar. Thanks for that. 😁

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Edge Lighting is the name of an app that adds huge functionality to the built in edge lighting on the S8 and YES Edge Lighting (THE APP) does work.

Shouldn't need a third party app for edge lighting. Samsung built and owns this. It should just work out of the box.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klesun