Anyone having lag or stutter issues?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My main test is how it'll be behave few months down the line, if it performs like the way it does now then I have nothing to complain given how feature rich this phone is.

I cannot agree with you more here! Exactly how I'd feel if I bought one.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Call whatever you like. I have both phones side by side. The Samsung opens apps faster and transitions between screens faster.

That's true because iOS has more sweeping style animations. Go through your first fifteen apps and leave them running. Then tell me which ones the iPhone still has up and running and how many the S8 has running. Animation speed doesn't equal speed. Memory management does.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
That's true because iOS has more sweeping style animations. Go through your first fifteen apps and leave them running. Then tell me which ones the iPhone still has up and running and how many the S8 has running. Animation speed doesn't equal speed. Memory management does.
So speed isn't speed, memory management is speed. Ok.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
So speed isn't speed, memory management is speed. Ok.

Correct. The GUI is only half the equation. If your apps open up quick, but load slow then the iPhone can open a wi doe slower but load faster. Basically, just because an app opens quickly doesn't mean your data and progress on say a game, will be open if you multitask and come back to it ten minutes later.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Most likely returning mine. S8+ is the probably the smoothest android phone I've used but it's a shame my 2 year old iPhone 6S Plus is smoother. Clash Royale on the S8+ drops a tremendous amount of frames. There's also a noticeable lag in scrolling compared to iOS. I was going to keep the S8+ or get the iPhone 8. Considering the S8+ can't out perform my 2 year old iPhone I think I'm gonna return the S8+ and get the iPhone 8 this fall..

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a S8+ as my personal phone and an iPhone 7 for work. Both are great phones and both are fast and smooth. If you have either and they are laggy then something is wrong or you are a troll(worked well for this thread).

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Except that this isn't a race, is it? It's a tool to get things done. Honestly you guys who place so much importance in which phone does something a couple seconds faster just totally crack me up. And iOS fans are the worst at it, but Android fans do it as well. If I am deciding what car to get, the only time I really care if one is 4 or 5 Seconds faster is if I'm in a race. Otherwise, I promise you that the fact that your sports car will get you to work 5 Seconds faster than my pickup truck will not sway me into buying your sports car. The pickup truck does the work I need better than the sports car.
Drops the mic.....

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Except that this isn't a race, is it? It's a tool to get things done. Honestly you guys who place so much importance in which phone does something a couple seconds faster just totally crack me up. And iOS fans are the worst at it, but Android fans do it as well. If I am deciding what car to get, the only time I really care if one is 4 or 5 Seconds faster is if I'm in a race. Otherwise, I promise you that the fact that your sports car will get you to work 5 Seconds faster than my pickup truck will not sway me into buying your sports car. The pickup truck does the work I need better than the sports car.

2 things:

1. That's a terrible analogy.

2. If you go any car forum they argue over which car is a tenth of a second faster. That's kind of the point of forums like this.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to get back to the topic. Ive seen a bit of lag the past couple days. Playing mlb 9innings Im getting a good amount of dropped frames even in performance mode.

Also seeing some stutters when pulling up recent apps and scrolling through them. One worry I had when getting this phone was the Samsung lag would come back.

Im currently trying a few things to see if I can get rid of it but so far nothings really helped, including changing the animations back to 1.0x. Next up will be clearing the cache.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm a fan of Nova but I'm currently trying Arrow by Microsoft. Have you tried it?

Yeah, didnt really care for it. The main stutters I see are coming from Samsungs UI such as the recent apps and settings menu. I didnt have them until yesterday and they appeared to come out of nowhere.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
So far have not had any lag or stutters. Probably snappiest device I've yet owned. I do wish it was less aggressive in closing apps in background. It multitasks well but it won't keep them in memory as long as my v10 did. At least it's not as bad as my note 4 was. That phone was VERY aggressive with app closing.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

First off, I really didn't make a claim to get people to buy this phone or that phone. Another user made a post regarding the speed of the iPhone 7 versus the S8 and I disputed it. I didn't get specifically detailed, other than pointing out memory and resource management. I'd like to think people can have a discussion about things without the need for Forum Dad to come out and admonish us. Try being less assuming and read through posts thoroughly before coming to your own conclusion.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I have no issues with the phone being a second "slower" than and iPhone or a Pixel, overall the phone is smooth for a Samsung phone. Where I have the issue (and this might be more related to the developer of the apps) is the fact that I have to deal with lag and frame rate drops in games that an Iphone 6 can run smoothly on. This is supposed to be "top of the line" specs yet can't play a game without lag?

Go ahead, get an iPhone 6 and the S8+, play Marvel Contest of Champions on both and even play the line Tsum Tsum game (a game that isn't very graphic intensive) and see how smooth it is on iOS.

I still love the phone and i'm getting better battery life on it than any other phone, it can actually compare to the battery of my iPhone 7 Plus. At the end of the day though, iPhones are just more optimized, runs smoother and are more polished than any Samsung phone. I do like the new Samsung interface and I actually love that the icons are actually pretty uniformed by added a round bezel around all the ones you download. I've always hated the fact that every icon is a different shape and size on Android. I'm not one that likes using launchers and icon packs nether.

EDIT: To be fair about Marvel Contest of Champions, it lags on every Android phone and lags actually lags less on my S8+ than on the Pixel XL. So smooth even going through menus on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Last edited:

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Look, it is one thing to disagree with someone, it is something else to say this person is basically lying when he says one phone was faster than the other.

If someone comes along and says the iPhone has a better-looking the screen than the S8, are you going to call Bull on that as well?
I actually do prefer the iPhone LCD screen over the S8+...... LCDs are just whiter and brighter.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Cleaned up some posts going down that troll road -- Let's not go on that road. Not good for anyone.

Thanks!

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Call whatever you like. I have both phones side by side. The Samsung opens apps faster and transitions between screens faster.

Make a video and prove it. I also have both phones here and mine are the exact opposite of what you're saying. iPhone Apps, especially games, open much faster than those on the S8+.

Or just pick any random speed comparison - none of them will say the S8+ is faster.

https://youtu.be/-pFpv0Im1UY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87