My first Samsung phone. Love the S8+ by the way.

I'm trying to use as many stock apps as possible. Coming from using Textra as my default messaging app.

The Samsung messaging app does not allow gifs to be inserted using two different Keyboards I've tried. The Gboard and SwiftKey.

Gboard says it can't insert in a text field. Swift key won't place one directly in the conversation either.

Is there a setting or should I just go back to Textra? I really like the look and feel of the Samsung messaging app.

Any suggestions out there?
    04-25-2017 09:46 AM

I'm trying to use as many stock apps as possible. Coming from using Textra as my default messaging app.

The Samsung messaging app does not allow gifs to be inserted using two different Keyboards I've tried. The Gboard and SwiftKey.

Gboard says it can't insert in a text field. Swift key won't place one directly in the conversation either.

Is there a setting or should I just go back to Textra? I really like the look and feel of the Samsung messaging app.

No real suggestion except to use something like Textra that does support it.
    04-25-2017 11:05 AM

According to a post in this thread it may actually be your carrier messing things up.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=668382
    04-25-2017 11:08 AM
    I also wish the samsung messaging app supported gif entry with gboard.
    04-25-2017 12:07 PM
    I wish Android Central supported it in its forum app.
    04-25-2017 12:15 PM
    04-26-2017 12:36 PM
    you can send gifs using the stock messaging app you have to download something like igmr then in the stock app select the paperclip then the other tab then select image it will ask you to select a default selet igmr you will now be able to select and send gifs
    drewood31601 and tube517 like this.
    05-04-2017 04:49 AM
    you can send gifs using the stock messaging app you have to download something like igmr then in the stock app select the paperclip then the other tab then select image it will ask you to select a default selet igmr you will now be able to select and send gifs
    Thanks for that. I have been wanting to be able to send gifs for a while
    05-04-2017 04:54 AM
    I've been using GBOARD & ANDROID MESSAGING. I love them both. Note you can't actually send any gifs with gboard using the stock Samsung App. So that is why I use Android messaging as well. I think they make the perfect combo so now I can use/send gifs, change contact messaging colors, change keyboard colors and layout (beach pic for my keyboard) and you can even search google within the keyboard! it's a an amazing combo! Everyone should try this out! No Textra for me. The app looks cheap imo and not paying to remove ads.

Now once Samsung Stock mess. app supports gifs, and all these features then I will revert back but until then, these two apps are the best!
    Justin Foster likes this.
    07-31-2017 05:24 PM
    I've been using GBOARD & ANDROID MESSAGING. I love them both. Note you can't actually send any gifs with gboard using the stock Samsung App. So that is why I use Android messaging as well. I think they make the perfect combo so now I can use/send gifs, change contact messaging colors, change keyboard colors and layout (beach pic for my keyboard) and you can even search google within the keyboard! it's a an amazing combo! Everyone should try this out! No Textra for me. The app looks cheap imo and not paying to remove ads.

Now once Samsung Stock mess. app supports gifs, and all these features then I will revert back but until then, these two apps are the best!
    But you have to pick one as a default. Are you just changing the default messing app back and forth?
    07-31-2017 07:00 PM
    But you have to pick one as a default. Are you just changing the default messing app back and forth?
    One is a keyboard app and one is a text message app. Both by Google. They work simultaneously
    07-31-2017 07:12 PM
    One is a keyboard app and one is a text message app. Both by Google. They work simultaneously
    My bad, I read your post wrong. Yes, I have Gboard and use it as my default KB. Unfortunately, my Gear S2 works best for messaging when I use the stock messaging app.
    07-31-2017 07:17 PM
    Check out how it is done in this video maybe that will help:

08-07-2017 10:08 AM
    I use gboard and textra all the way here, I use to use gboard and android message app which is sweet too. I would't get hung up on trying to stay stock since this phones a power house and can handle anything!
    08-07-2017 05:23 PM
    This works perfect for me.
    10-09-2017 11:24 AM
    Late response here, but just some info for those new to a Samsung device: This is the best solution. Gboard and Android Messages (formerly Google Messenger) work really well, as has been pointed out a few times in this thread. BUT (and it's a big one) They are battery hogs. I am seeing Android Messages at or the top of my list for battery usage, right up there with FB and Snap Chat. The keyboard is not near the top, but on the list of apps suggested to close down whenever I run a usage scan, and that means as a keyboard, it is still hanging in the background, running. This is disappointing, because I have been a big fan of Googles apps lately, and usually replace the stock Samsung apps with them whenever possible.

The best case is to use the stock message app and keyboard, as suggested, and save some of that battery for other tasks. The additional upside to using the stock apps, you can use the edge lighting when you want to see when you have messages. It does not seem to work with thrid party apps.
    12-08-2017 12:37 PM
    I know. I love edge lighting and I HATE the stock Android notification look. Fugly.
    08-22-2018 05:08 PM