How are your LTE and WiFi speeds with your S8 / S8+?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I bothered connecting to WiFi. Only use WiFi when I have to cast something or control my Hue lights stuff like that.
I felt the same way when I had T-Mobile at home.. until I got that fiber haha :p.

Down the street from my house T-Mobile regularly hit 80+ .. sometimes 130.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
9d70491a8628f719e8e75cbce3600d4b.jpg
6e385c2fa1ab50c9dd3b718beb8720cd.jpg

I get same speed on Wi-Fi as I do hardwired on desktop. (My speed tier is provisioned for 60/5 so I'm quite happy). LTE speeds are less impressive but it's better than what my V10 got. T-Mobile here. I say less impressive because I used to get over 60mbps from this location regularly. Peak of 108. I never see those speeds anymore.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Speed Test

So what is everyone's speeds on their phone. I am using Speed Test and I am getting 30 down and 37 up. Odd that up is faster than down. I want to see where I land in speed. I am using wifi through my 200 speed which gives my wired computer 200+ down and nearly 100 up.

Noah.S

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Speed Test

My phone speed is identical to my wired connection speed. 30 mb down and 10 mb up which is exactly what I'm paying for.

The reason the speed on your phone is slower could be your router. If your router is slow or out of date it will slow down your internet.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site

My phone speed is identical to my wired connection speed. 30 mb down and 10 mb up which is exactly what I'm paying for.

The reason the speed on your phone is slower could be your router. If your router is slow or out of date it will slow down your internet.

I wasn't sure if I had a slow speed or not. That is why I wanted to see what people are getting for speeds. Or what speeds could be expected. All my equipment is new it was less than a month ago that it was all upgraded and replaced. So hardware I am good.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

ba721599422ac056864cf68b34179361.jpg
I get 70mbps on wifi. My Max internet speed. Same as wired desktop. Most likely there is an issue with your router. For my home setup I use my own equipment. The stuff the internet provider offers is junk. I'm using a Netgear N400 modem and a Netgear R7000 router. Phone speed tested while in 5ghz band but I get same performance on my 2.4ghz as well.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/ba721599422ac056864cf68b34179361.jpgI get 70mbps on wifi. My Max internet speed. Same as wired desktop. Most likely there is an issue with your router. For my home setup I use my own equipment. The stuff the internet provider offers is junk. I'm using a Netgear N400 modem and a Netgear R7000 router. Phone speed tested while in 5ghz band but I get same performance on my 2.4ghz as well.

Yeah I can't afford my own equipment so I had to go with their equipment. I had to cut out my cable and went strictly internet with a higher speed. I am not having an connection issues and no issues with downloads and the like but I just want to get the speeds that are possible with the phone. I will have to try it at my friend's place he has an uber wifi router and then I can do a real test of the phone.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site

So what is everyone's speeds on their phone. I am using Speed Test and I am getting 30 down and 37 up. Odd that up is faster than down. I want to see where I land in speed. I am using wifi through my 200 speed which gives my wired computer 200+ down and nearly 100 up.

WiFi connectivity always involves a lot of variables that affect bandwidth speed. Could be channel interference or noise floor issues with another WiFi network -- if you live in a condo or apartment where household density can be pretty high that's a common issue as opposed to if you live in a house where there's typically more separation. Distance is another factor -- the farther away you are from your router the slower the bandwidth speed. The WiFi signal radiating from your router's antenna(s) can be visualized in a way like a light bulb. Close up the light is much brighter but as you walk further away the light level becomes dimmer.
On top of those other possibilities there's the matter where WiFi connectivity is inherently slower than wired connectivity. Wired connections are duplex, where packets can be transmitted and received simultaneously while WiFi connections are asynchronous, where packets can only be transmitted or received. This difference is typically measured in milliseconds and if you're just streaming an online video it's not even an issue as it's primarily a receive-only matter but if you have multiple people doing multiple things that involve a lot of user interaction than it can add up to a slight drag. Not nearly as much as the difference you listed between your wired and wireless numbers but add in some of those other WiFi issues and that might explain part of the discrepancy.
The 30 down/37 up is odd though. Was anything else going on with your home network at the time you did that speed test? If you or someone else was watching online video or something like that it will have a definite affect on your overall bandwidth.
This article is a concise explanation on WiFi fundamentals. It's a little dated but still relevant.
Why is my WiFi slow? Why does my WiFi keep dropping out?
Also, try doing a speed test by using this site:
https://speedof.me/
It's based on HTML5 (a few speed test sites still rely on Adobe Flash, ugh) and gives you download, upload, and latency numbers. If you test your mobile devices and computers using one way of measurement that will give you a better baseline. Using different speed test sites and different speed test apps will always have a little 'creep' factor in that they don't all use the same underlying measurement methods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699