Verizon Galaxy S8 No notification overnight (Samsung Galaxy S8)

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I've had my S8 for about a week and loving it. One thing I noticed though, is that the notification doesn't work after I wake up in the morning. This is happening with the GMail app. For example, I'd receive 1 or more emails overnight while I'm sleeping, when I wake up and look at my phone, no LED light blinking and no notifications showing. Making me think I have no emails when in fact I do. This is strange because my notifications work fine when I'm awake and actively use my phone. It's just when I leave my phone alone for a long period of time (i.e. when I go to sleep) is when this issue occurs.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has a resolution.

Douglas Griffis

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Did you set up any of the health apps, or set a "sleep" time. I know I told mine I sleep from X to Y times, and it disables notifications in that time frame.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It would be under Do Not Disturb. I always set DND when I go to bed but have notifications show up once I reenable it in the morning.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S8 for about a week and loving it. One thing I noticed though, is that the notification doesn't work after I wake up in the morning. This is happening with the GMail app. For example, I'd receive 1 or more emails overnight while I'm sleeping, when I wake up and look at my phone, no LED light blinking and no notifications showing. Making me think I have no emails when in fact I do. This is strange because my notifications work fine when I'm awake and actively use my phone. It's just when I leave my phone alone for a long period of time (i.e. when I go to sleep) is when this issue occurs.

If it just occurs on Gmail, then, don't worry, it's Gmail and it's not exclusively to the S8. This has been happening for a while now, and has occurred in ALL my Nougat devices including Axon 7, Pixel, Pixel Xl and now the S8.

With my S8 has happened a couple of times now in the past 5 days that I've had the phone, but it definitely something on Google's end, I've always suspected that it's related to Doze because if I remember correctly there were some reports of the same happening or there may still some issues with Marshmallow devices.

I've managed somehow to work around it using Nova and TeslaUnread plugin as I added my 2 Gmail accounts to the unread badge counter and I can see my amount of unread emails even when Gmail shows no notifications, then I just opens the app and there they appear.

Edit ** I just went to Power settings- Battery usage and if you hit the 3 dots at the top right and select the "optimize battery usage" option and change to All Apps, you can turn off Gmail from the list, I think this must help on the matter.

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
If it just occurs on Gmail, then, don't worry, it's Gmail and it's not exclusively to the S8. This has been happening for a while now, and has occurred in ALL my Nougat devices including Axon 7, Pixel, Pixel Xl and now the S8.

With my S8 has happened a couple of times now in the past 5 days that I've had the phone, but it definitely something on Google's end, I've always suspected that it's related to Doze because if I remember correctly there were some reports of the same happening or there may still some issues with Marshmallow devices.

I've managed somehow to work around it using Nova and TeslaUnread plugin as I added my 2 Gmail accounts to the unread badge counter and I can see my amount of unread emails even when Gmail shows no notifications, then I just opens the app and there they appear.

Edit ** I just went to Power settings- Battery usage and if you hit the 3 dots at the top right and select the "optimize battery usage" option and change to All Apps, you can turn off Gmail from the list, I think this must help on the matter.

Correct, it's just for GMail (at least that's the only app I noticed it so far). I disabled optimize battery usage for it and will see if it made a difference by tomorrow morning. Thanks Erasat.

It took me some time to find that setting, in case someone encounters the same issue, here are the steps:

Settings -> Battery -> Battery Usage button -> 3 dots at the top right -> Optimize battery usage -> At the top left there is a drop down, switch the option from "Apps not optimized" to "All apps" -> scroll down to GMail -> disable the ticker.

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Just an update, overnight I had emails and this morning when I checked my phone, I did see the notification and LED light was blinking. So it's so far so good. Hopefully the issue doesn't re-occur. Will update this thread if it does. Thanks again for everyone's help.

vacat79

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Correct, it's just for GMail (at least that's the only app I noticed it so far). I disabled optimize battery usage for it and will see if it made a difference by tomorrow morning. Thanks Erasat.

It took me some time to find that setting, in case someone encounters the same issue, here are the steps:

Settings -> Battery -> Battery Usage button -> 3 dots at the top right -> Optimize battery usage -> At the top left there is a drop down, switch the option from "Apps not optimized" to "All apps" -> scroll down to GMail -> disable the ticker.

I've had the Galaxy series for at least 5 years now and I know how those phones work. Preordered and received S8 and noticed that the LED light doesn't go off every time I have email, text and what not. Tried resetting the notification, LED notification on, tried on Silent, Vibrate, Sound on & Etc.. Trust me. I've done everything. Finally had it, got a replacement S8 from Verizon to find out it's acting the same way. Called back Verizon to let them know and a tech support lady said I was the 15th caller with the same issue.

Bottom line - Android, Google, Samsung whoever is in charge of updating the software needs to push an update for LED function to work properly. Anyone know when they'll be pushing this update so this LED notification will work properly?

Also my EDGE lighting doesn't work either lol I've seen it light up twice in 10 days. What the hell is going on with these light notifications.

I"ve let 2 comments via Samsung FB but no reply. Doesn't anyone care at all?! So annoying.

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I've had the Galaxy series for at least 5 years now and I know how those phones work. Preordered and received S8 and noticed that the LED light doesn't go off every time I have email, text and what not. Tried resetting the notification, LED notification on, tried on Silent, Vibrate, Sound on & Etc.. Trust me. I've done everything. Finally had it, got a replacement S8 from Verizon to find out it's acting the same way. Called back Verizon to let them know and a tech support lady said I was the 15th caller with the same issue.

Bottom line - Android, Google, Samsung whoever is in charge of updating the software needs to push an update for LED function to work properly. Anyone know when they'll be pushing this update so this LED notification will work properly?

Also my EDGE lighting doesn't work either lol I've seen it light up twice in 10 days. What the hell is going on with these light notifications.

I"ve let 2 comments via Samsung FB but no reply. Doesn't anyone care at all?! So annoying.

Yeah, I noticed today morning that the issue re-occured. Had new emails in my inbox for a few hours before I woke up, once I woke up, checked my phone, no notifications. Is your issue only with the LED light? For me, it's both no LED and no notification banner when I turn on my phone screen. So looks like this is indeed some sort of bug.

Slightly off topic, but I noticed that my LED notification light blink time is too slow (i.e. too much time passes between blinks). I wish I could modify that.

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Just an update, issue occurred again today. After I woke up, I noticed that when I opened the GMail app, it showed no new emails. I had to refresh GMail to see my new emails. Root cause seems to not be a bug with the notifications, but rather GMail is not syncing/refreshing overnight (while I'm sleeping - i.e. not using the phone).

So because GMail thinks there are no new emails, no notifications are sent. So it seems like a GMail syncing issue, not a GMail notifications issue.

jagermeister5

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Have you found a fix for this? It's driving me crazy. My issue is with Google Calendar. In addition to not getting the email notification, I'm also not getting calendar notifications over night. I'm thinking it might be something with the phone, as I never had this issue with my Droid Turbo.

I too tried turning off battery optimization for calendar but no luck....

jagermeister5

May 15, 2017
Visit site
So this morning I had the gmail notification on my phone, but no calendar notification. I'd really like to figure out why I can't get calendar notifications over night.

I also had a system update this morning, which I'm performing, so hopefully that might fix the issue.

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I'm still facing this issue. I use the GMail app. Still no email notifications in the morning. When I open the app, I see the new emails, just no notifications. It's super weird.

I'm assuming it's some bug with the power saving or sleep mode (even though I have them disabled). My guess is that even if you have all the power saving features disabled, it will still halt notifications when you don't use your phone for a long period of time. I installed the system update a couple days ago and the issue still persists.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So this morning I had the gmail notification on my phone, but no calendar notification. I'd really like to figure out why I can't get calendar notifications over night.

I also had a system update this morning, which I'm performing, so hopefully that might fix the issue.

I'm still facing this issue. I use the GMail app. Still no email notifications in the morning. When I open the app, I see the new emails, just no notifications. It's super weird.

I'm assuming it's some bug with the power saving or sleep mode (even though I have them disabled). My guess is that even if you have all the power saving features disabled, it will still halt notifications when you don't use your phone for a long period of time. I installed the system update a couple days ago and the issue still persists.

Have you tried what I suggested on one of the other threads about the same on this same forum?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=791396&p=5796735&viewfull=1#post5796735

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried what I suggested on one of the other threads about the same on this same forum?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=791396&p=5796735&viewfull=1#post5796735

Yes, tried that a few weeks ago. Note that it's the same suggestion you gave in this thread as well (in the "Edit" area of your post): Verizon Galaxy S8 No notification overnight (Samsung Galaxy S8) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue. I feel like I've tried everything, which makes me think more and more that this is a bug.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Its a gmail bug thats been out basically since the Nexus 6P. Its not an overnight thing its a sync thing in general. I always get my email on a delay with the gmail app. If you need it faster, try either using a different app, or turning off battery optimization on Gmail and maybe it will sync better.

Matt Dorris

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Has anyone gotten around this? I'm having the same issue with reminders on my S8. I set reminders with Google Assistant and haven't been getting any of them recently. Super frustrating. I've gone through all the menus for each app associated with Google Assistant and reminders and everything seems in order.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch