An Unbiased Smartphone Fan's Opinion

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

For those who follow me on Tapatalk or who followed me on YouTube at BeardTec (before I had to set the channel aside to spend more time with my family) you know I am a huge smartphone fan. I don't discriminate on OS or platform or brand and generally think every OS has its Pros and Cons. Coming back over to Android from my iPhone 7 Plus was a decision I did not take lightly as I absolutely adored my iPhone and Apple Watch combo. Sadly I am not well off enough to keep both and I really liked what Samsung did with their new flagship and so I sold my Apple devices and went all in on Sammy.

First off let me just say that the S8+ is one beautiful piece of hardware, even if the ports at the bottom don't quite line up symmetry wise. The screen is amazing, bright, colorful, and great to view in sunlight. I can't say enough about the screen and how much I enjoy looking at it in general.

The battery life for me, in 4 total days, has been very surprising. I was able to get something in the range of 3 hours of SoT on the S7 Edge on AT&T. That would usually be a day of 5am to 9pm with some music streaming with bluetooth headphones and a Gear S3 connected at all times plus some phone calls, Hangouts and text messaging and other miscellaneous things. The same day on the S8+ has been getting me a consistent 6 hours of SoT with about 20% left at night before plugging in. To me, this is on par with the iPhone and is an incredible feat for an Android phone with this much screen and power.

The software on the S8 is where is actually really shines. Little touches like the way the settings menu looks, how the icons look, the snappiness of it, the sounds, and the way the edges of the display light up when you get a notification make the experience really unique and enjoyable. I have not seen much lag, though some apps tend to take longer to open (I'm looking at you Play Music) but I have not had any crashes or app shut downs yet.

Gaming on the device is another very fun experience. The phone flies through anything in gaming with nary a framerate dip in site. I even managed to play fully through Zelda OoT on it this past weekend with a bluetooth controller which was incredibly awesome.

That is not to say the S8 is perfect. The IP 68 cert is definitely a plus, but the speaker takes a big hit. Why was Samsung not able to do what Apple was able to do an give it amazing speakers with water resistance? This is a bit baffling for me as the speaker is garbage. The camera, while mostly the same as the S7/S7E and Note 7 (can we mention that phone by name still?) is a bit better and the front facing camera is quite good. I would put the rear camera in the top 3 of smartphone cameras, right behind the Pixel XL and on par with the iPhone 7/7 Plus. The front facing camera is fun with the Snapchat like filters you can add and it takes pictures about as well as say the iPhone 5s rear camera, which is to say it takes good pics in the right light.

USB C makes it's debut on the Galaxy S series and fast charge is just as good as ever. Having a great battery with the ability to charge the phone from 0-100% in about 90 minutes is, to me, a huge selling point. Reversible chargers are a good thing and wireless charging is even better. Just set it and go if you have a compatible wireless charger and if you have a wireless fast charger then it is that much better.

Samsung also seems to be the king of "Buy our stuff and we will give you more stuff" deals. Preorder the S8? Enjoy your free VR unit with controller in 6-8 weeks. Preorder it at Target? Here, take $100 too. Get it from Best Buy? Let's just take $100 off the price of the phone. It's incredibly enticing to buy a phone, a new flagship, when it comes with all of that on top of what's in the box.

Speaking of what is in the box, it now comes with a black charging brick and cable, the AKG headphones (which are good, not great) and a micro USB to USB C adaptor and a Smart Switch adaptor, also in black. This helps with the transitions both to a new phone as well as to a new charging port if you are coming from a previous Android phone.

Last few notes:
- Call quality is finally amazing on a Samsung device. I usually had a rattling or muffled earpiece and hated talking on the Galaxy series phones. This thing sounds much better than even my iPhone. - Always on Display is a nice feature and I feel like they got it right this year.
- Themes are fun and a cool way to distinguish your device.
- Samsung Pay. It's awesome. Still.

All in all this thing is a huge win for Samsung. It comes loaded with everything you expect from Sammy, and then some. I would recommend anyone with a smartphone to take a look at the S8 if you need to upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good write-up.

People will call it biased if they don't agree. :)

But really, these are opinions and opinions will always be biased. If you want unbiased, just read the spec sheet.

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

For those who follow me on Tapatalk or who followed me on YouTube at BeardTec (before I had to set the channel aside to spend more time with my family) you know I am a huge smartphone fan. I don't discriminate on OS or platform or brand and generally think every OS has its Pros and Cons. Coming back over to Android from my iPhone 7 Plus was a decision I did not take lightly as I absolutely adored my iPhone and Apple Watch combo. Sadly I am not well off enough to keep both and I really liked what Samsung did with their new flagship and so I sold my Apple devices and went all in on Sammy.

First off let me just say that the S8+ is one beautiful piece of hardware, even if the ports at the bottom don't quite line up symmetry wise. The screen is amazing, bright, colorful, and great to view in sunlight. I can't say enough about the screen and how much I enjoy looking at it in general.

The battery life for me, in 4 total days, has been very surprising. I was able to get something in the range of 3 hours of SoT on the S7 Edge on AT&T. That would usually be a day of 5am to 9pm with some music streaming with bluetooth headphones and a Gear S3 connected at all times plus some phone calls, Hangouts and text messaging and other miscellaneous things. The same day on the S8+ has been getting me a consistent 6 hours of SoT with about 20% left at night before plugging in. To me, this is on par with the iPhone and is an incredible feat for an Android phone with this much screen and power.

The software on the S8 is where is actually really shines. Little touches like the way the settings menu looks, how the icons look, the snappiness of it, the sounds, and the way the edges of the display light up when you get a notification make the experience really unique and enjoyable. I have not seen much lag, though some apps tend to take longer to open (I'm looking at you Play Music) but I have not had any crashes or app shut downs yet.

Gaming on the device is another very fun experience. The phone flies through anything in gaming with nary a framerate dip in site. I even managed to play fully through Zelda OoT on it this past weekend with a bluetooth controller which was incredibly awesome.

That is not to say the S8 is perfect. The IP 68 cert is definitely a plus, but the speaker takes a big hit. Why was Samsung not able to do what Apple was able to do an give it amazing speakers with water resistance? This is a bit baffling for me as the speaker is garbage. The camera, while mostly the same as the S7/S7E and Note 7 (can we mention that phone by name still?) is a bit better and the front facing camera is quite good. I would put the rear camera in the top 3 of smartphone cameras, right behind the Pixel XL and on par with the iPhone 7/7 Plus. The front facing camera is fun with the Snapchat like filters you can add and it takes pictures about as well as say the iPhone 5s rear camera, which is to say it takes good pics in the right light.

USB C makes it's debut on the Galaxy S series and fast charge is just as good as ever. Having a great battery with the ability to charge the phone from 0-100% in about 90 minutes is, to me, a huge selling point. Reversible chargers are a good thing and wireless charging is even better. Just set it and go if you have a compatible wireless charger and if you have a wireless fast charger then it is that much better.

Samsung also seems to be the king of "Buy our stuff and we will give you more stuff" deals. Preorder the S8? Enjoy your free VR unit with controller in 6-8 weeks. Preorder it at Target? Here, take $100 too. Get it from Best Buy? Let's just take $100 off the price of the phone. It's incredibly enticing to buy a phone, a new flagship, when it comes with all of that on top of what's in the box.

Speaking of what is in the box, it now comes with a black charging brick and cable, the AKG headphones (which are good, not great) and a micro USB to USB C adaptor and a Smart Switch adaptor, also in black. This helps with the transitions both to a new phone as well as to a new charging port if you are coming from a previous Android phone.

Last few notes:
- Call quality is finally amazing on a Samsung device. I usually had a rattling or muffled earpiece and hated talking on the Galaxy series phones. This thing sounds much better than even my iPhone. - Always on Display is a nice feature and I feel like they got it right this year.

All in all this thing is a huge win for Samsung. It comes loaded with everything you expect from Sammy, and then some. I would recommend anyone with a smartphone to take a look at the S8 if you need to upgrade. You won't be disappointed.
+1. Spoiled only by the pink screen issue with my two devices so far.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys,

Last few notes:

I'm​ in the same boat as you. I love my iPhone 7+ but couldn't resist the the S8+ due to the new direction Samsung took with it.

I still have my iPhone but sold 2 Apple watches and bought a Gear S3 Frontier. It actually works better with my iPhone than the AW did, at least for me.

So here I am, 2 awesome phones and only one sim card

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm​ in the same boat as you. I love my iPhone 7+ but couldn't resist the the S8+ due to the new direction Samsung took with it.

I still have my iPhone but sold 2 Apple watches and bought a Gear S3 Frontier. It actually works better with my iPhone than the AW did, at least for me.

Sounds like a good dilemma to have though lol I would kill to be able to switch for the day based on my preference when I wake up. I am digging this thing so far though and haven't even really dug into it a lot.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Moved from iPhones to Samsung 8 months ago and invested in the s7 edge.

That's now sold and I'll hopefully be picking up the s8 on Friday.

In the end if we all liked the same products it would fast become a stale sector and become stagnant.

Karong

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site

How does the Gear S3 work even better with your iphone than the apple watch? I have an Apple watch so im curious.

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Moved from iPhones to Samsung 8 months ago and invested in the s7 edge.

That's now sold and I'll hopefully be picking up the s8 on Friday.

In the end if we all liked the same products it would fast become a stale sector and become stagnant.

I think you'll be extremely pleased with the s8! Having had the s6edge, s7edge and now the s8+ I feel this phone al.ost separates itself from that pack. They just got so much right in so many areas of the phone. I love this phone!! I did love my s6 and s7 but I definitely knew their shortcomings and I don't really feel I sacrifice anything with the s8

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
How does the Gear S3 work even better with your iphone than the apple watch? I have an Apple watch so im curious.
My work email account requires that I have a pin on my phone. When using an AW with the iPhone it also requires the watch to have a pin. An AW doesn't get notifications​ while it's locked. So all day while wearing the AW I didn't get notifications. The S3 doesn't require a pin just because the phone requires one so I get notifications on the S3 that I didn't get on the AW.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
My work email account requires that I have a pin on my phone. When using an AW with the iPhone it also requires the watch to have a pin. An AW doesn't get notifications​ while it's locked. So all day while wearing the AW I didn't get notifications. The S3 doesn't require a pin just because the phone requires one so I get notifications on the S3 that I didn't get on the AW.

I don't get it. Why don't you just unlock your AW? Then you would get notifications. Also the AW unlocks as soon as you unlock your phone and then stays unlocked as long as the AW remains on your wrist.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I don't get it. Why don't you just unlock your AW? Then you would get notifications. Also the AW unlocks as soon as you unlock your phone and then stays unlocked as long as the AW remains on your wrist.
When your phone is locked in your pocket and the AW is also locked you don't receive notifications. When your phone vibrates or beeps you have to pull it out to see why. The watch is useless.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
When your phone is locked in your pocket and the AW is also locked you don't receive notifications. When your phone vibrates or beeps you have to pull it out to see why. The watch is useless.

Yeah but why would the AW be locked? It is never as long as you keep wearing it on your wrist.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Hm that's really strange as I can't imagine your exchange policies interfering with the AW locking mechanisms. Maybe Apple support could help out.
No need. I wear a Samsung S3 Frontier every day now and wouldn't trade it for 2 Apple Watches.