AT&T Galaxy S8 S8+ is Bypassing Security While on a Phone Call

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
And what issue is that? There is no sense in locking the phone during a phone call..so that's that.

That is true, if you don't value security or want your phone to function as it was intended.

But thanks for your input, have a great day.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so more testing and it only does this with a headset(wired or Bluetooth). But the phone locks normally when no headset is used.

I can't be alone here as this happens on my S7 and S8+.

I don't think you are necessarily alone here. It's just not as big of a concern for some of us. After the call, lock the phone and put it in your pocket. If you have strangers taking phones from your pocket, there are bigger issues.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you are necessarily alone here. It's just not as big of a concern for some of us. After the call, lock the phone and put it in your pocket. If you have strangers taking phones from your pocket, there are bigger issues.

Thanks for your valuable input. I am not worried about where the phone is, just the fact is is not properly secured.
I am not worried about someone taking the phone from my pocket, but that is not an excuse for glitchy software. I am not truly concerned with someone coming in my front door while I am home, but that doesn't mean I leave my doors unlocked.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The only person who considers this a lapse in security is op. And if you don't notice someone taking your phone while you are on a call you have bigger problems.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The only person who considers this a lapse in security is op. And if you don't notice someone taking your phone while you are on a call you have bigger problems.

So glad you can actually read the comments and be open minded about other people's concerns.

You are probably that same person that says there should be back doors built into our phones bc "I have nothing to hide." I, on the other hand, would prefer that the locks built into my phone actually work. If my front door lock didn't work, I would get it fixed.

Thanks for commenting, please move on as your valuable contribution to the discussion has been noted.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Let's say OP works in a job where his hands are occupied but needs to have his phone available at all times. He uses a headset to solve this. So when he receives a call, he answers from the headset. The phone stays in his pocket. Because the screen doesn't lock, his phone is opening apps left and right while he's on the call because the screen activates and doesn't stay locked.

How hard is that to understand? This isn't about someone taking your phone. It's about not being able to lock the screen while you're on a call.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Let's say OP works in a job where his hands are occupied but needs to have his phone available at all times. He uses a headset to solve this. So when he receives a call, he answers from the headset. The phone stays in his pocket. Because the screen doesn't lock, his phone is opening apps left and right while he's on the call because the screen activates and doesn't stay locked.
That would be bad. But it's not what's taking place. The screen does stay locked in the scenario you're describing, and the OP acknowledged that in the first post. The phone only unlocks during a call if the OP unlocks it (via fingerprint or password or whatever).

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
That would be bad. But it's not what's taking place. The screen does stay locked in the scenario you're describing, and the OP acknowledged that in the first post. The phone only unlocks during a call if the OP unlocks it (via fingerprint or password or whatever).

Right. But, that is still not how the screen lock is designed. So if I use the phone as a phone I am not allowed to text or email someone?

It also happens if I am using the phone and someone calls while the screen is unlocked. Again, I cannot lock the phone. So his description of my issue is accurate for most of my phone calls as I use my phone as a communications device, making calls, sending texts and emails. At that time the phone is just on and doing whatever it wants in my pocket, something I do not want.

vrndavana

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't want my phone unlocked on my pocket, with the screen on, because it's not securely locked. The "screen off in pocket feature" doesn't work when I'm on a call that I answered with my Bluetooth. After I'm done with the call I will check my phone and it's almost texting one of my contacts a bunch of random stuff that my "leg typed".

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't want my phone unlocked on my pocket, with the screen on, because it's not securely locked. The "screen off in pocket feature" doesn't work when I'm on a call that I answered with my Bluetooth. After I'm done with the call I will check my phone and it's almost texting one of my contacts a bunch of random stuff that my "leg typed".

Annoying isn't it? I am hoping that the next update has a fix.

I finally had Samsung tech support get someone on the phone that was able to duplicate it in their end, they said that they submitted it and gave me a reference number, now I just hope they weren't blowing me off.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Listen, it makes no sense to lock a phone WHILE you are using it... even if you are using a bluetooth audio device. Unlike your title says, the phone does not bypass ANYTHING, YOU unlocked your phone, not the OS, not the phones hardware.

You are viewing it as a screen lock.. it is not a screen lock it is a PHONE LOCK! It does a tad bit more then just prevent leg text. When initially picking up a call with a bluetooth device the phone considers it in "hands free" mode and remains locked. The moment you unlock it, it is no longer in hands free mode as your hands are all over it. NOW, You may have a beef about not being able to re-enter hands free mode mid call and that is fine, but this isn't a security risk or a bug or what ever other BS you want to call it.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Listen, it makes no sense to lock a phone WHILE you are using it... even if you are using a bluetooth audio device.
Just because you cannot comprehend the concept of why someone would want their phone locked at all times does not mean "it makes no sense."

Unlike your title says, the phone does not bypass ANYTHING, YOU unlocked your phone, not the OS, not the phones hardware.
Again, sorry it is difficult for you to understand, but if I am manually locking the screen in a manner that should lock the phone(by pressing the power button) and it does not lock the phone, that by definition is the OS unlocking the phone without my permission, thus my title for this thread.

You are viewing it as a screen lock.. it is not a screen lock it is a PHONE LOCK! It does a tad bit more then just prevent leg text. When initially picking up a call with a bluetooth device the phone considers it in "hands free" mode and remains locked. The moment you unlock it, it is no longer in hands free mode as your hands are all over it.
So the fact that I send a text or email means I am no longer allowed to use hands free mode? That is comical as other phones(as well as this one before the last update) allow you to continue to be "hands free" as you describe it. Just because my hand touches the phone does not mean it should not be secure.

NOW, You may have a beef about not being able to re-enter hands free mode mid call and that is fine, but this isn't a security risk or a bug or what ever other BS you want to call it.
Again, i do not understand how a phone being unlocked against the user's wishes is not a security wish. If you want your front door locked and it magically unlocks against your wishes, is that not a security risk?

I did not start this thread with a whiny or entitled attitude, I started it to share with others and see if they are getting the same exact results being I can duplicate it 100% of the time on an AT&T S7 Edge, a Verizon S7, and an AT&T S8+(as well as 10 there S7/S7Edge Verizon models that I tested myself and the two S8+'s(carrier unknown)that Samsung tested. I was curious if anyone had found a specific combination of settings that could provide a fix until a permanent one is found by Samsung.

I also understand that most people do not talk on the phone that much so the user base this affects would be minimal, but I did not expect random internet tough guys to be personally offended by my post.

It is not up for debate as to whether this is a bug, being a bug is defined by software not performing as expected and this scenario is exactly that. We can debate whether this issue affects you, but I do not want to nor care if it affects you.

I don't know why you feel the need to constantly come into this thread and tell me I am wrong, but will you please move on? A mod already had to come and clean out your other crap posts once. Just bc you don't see a need for screen locks to work doesn't mean it is not a true bug or an issue for others. Have a great day.

Last edited:

vrndavana

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey, did Samsung got back to you about the issue? I just got a new update, I don't know if they fixed that on this latest, didn't test yet. Any luck? I've ordered a LED wallet case from Samsung, just in case there is no fix. At least, I will not being pocket tapping with that case.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
if I am manually locking the screen in a manner that should lock the phone(by pressing the power button) and it does not lock the phone, that by definition is the OS unlocking the phone without my permission, thus my title for this thread.
That's the phone refusing to lock, as opposed to unlocking itself, and as opposed to your title for this thread. You've identified a legitimate problem, but you're misstating it in a manner that sensationalizes it, thereby creating confusion.

Joanne Howard

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
I can confirm my handset doesn't exhibit that behaviour, if I press power button while on a call it locks the phone, I am not able to do anything else on the phone unless I unlock it again.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm my handset doesn't exhibit that behaviour, if I press power button while on a call it locks the phone, I am not able to do anything else on the phone unless I unlock it again.
But are you on BT for the incoming phone call? That's the only time the OP encounters the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress