I want this phone but I'm scared of not using screen protectors

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I always have one on my iPhone, the real screen has no scratches because of my screen protectors.

I don't mind not using tempered glass but do the plastic film ones actully work with cases?

If anyone has a set up that's working rn can I see a pic of the case and screen protector on the phone?

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've used nothing but glass protectors for my last 3 phones because they feel exactly like the screen. I have had my GS8+ for about a month now with no protector since I don't care for the film based ones and have no scratches at all!! The only real option for me would be the Whitestone dome glass protector since it actually works but I don't want to spend $45 on a screen protector. I'll continue to run mine naked and just be careful. I dedicate my left front pocket for my phone and have never had an issue. I had a Spigen glass protector on my iPhone 7 plus and loved it... I'll just be extra careful with this one.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I used iq liquid shield on my s8 and that worked awesome with a bunch of different cases. When I exchanged my regular s8 for the s8 plus I had Best buy put on the hd clear zagg just because I wanted something on my phone right away and I've been having really good luck with cases with this as well. I've always preferred glass screen protectors and still do but these films ones r actually pretty good.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... screen protectors are tough with this phone. They installed one for me at Sprint, and it's lifting around the curved edges, causing dust to attract to it. I'm on the hunt for a good one. I am leaving this one on though, dust and all, simply because I don't want to risk any scratches. I'd rather have lifting edges with dust than permanent scratches ;)

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I always wondered if any of my 70+ (LOL) previous devices would have been scratched if I didn't use any protection?

I've had both for almost 3 weeks, I used them naked after work/day off and like I said in my thread about it's great when you don't have choice.

I spent $25 but luckily it was BOGO for my S8 & S8+ and both lasted 3 days.

Sure, spending $50 each is nothing but like I said what are the chances of them getting scratched. Dropping it is more likely which is why I use my Spigen Wallet case at work.

I spent $15 plus shipping for my LG G6. Super Shieldz screen protector, film type and it's a 6 pack but the beauty is that its flawless. No lifting, dust on the edges.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT I WISH SAMSUNG WOULD JUST INSTALL ONE OUT OF THE BOX LIKE LG, ONEPLUS, ETC.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not really. The glass has no scratches because it's very difficult to scratch gorilla glass.

Screen "protectors" are almost 100% superfluous, not to mention ugly AF.

My former scratched up iPhone 6s, S7, and Mate 9 would disagree with you. Oh and my son's scratched Axon 7. The list goes on. These screens aren't scratch proof. You can do all you can to prevent them from being scratched but all it takes is some debris in your pocket to ruin your screen.

jwsnj3rd

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Not using a screen protector I'm using something different
Doesn't feel like any things on it

Attachments

• 2914.jpg
    2914.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 118

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
My former scratched up iPhone 6s, S7, and Mate 9 would disagree with you. Oh and my son's scratched Axon 7. The list goes on. These screens aren't scratch proof. You can do all you can to prevent them from being scratched but all it takes is some debris in your pocket to ruin your screen.

But a 10 micron plastic film isn't going to stop those scratches either. Maybe a glass one will work, but damn that's bulky and kind of defeats the purpose of getting a thin, sleek phone.

By the way, I don't see how people are scratching up their phones so much. I think people just don't treat them they way they should. I mean, don't set it on anything scratchy or put it in a pocket with change or keys, etc.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend tempered glass screen protectors as opposed to plastic: your screen retains its glass-like feel, and the phone is more protected from bumps and drops than it would be otherwise. Even if the curved glass on the device makes fitting finicky, I would still say that tempered glass is a better option. I've used both and I feel more secure with tempered glass.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
But a 10 micron plastic film isn't going to stop those scratches either. Maybe a glass one will work, but damn that's bulky and kind of defeats the purpose of getting a thin, sleek phone.

By the way, I don't see how people are scratching up their phones so much. I think people just don't treat them they way they should. I mean, don't set it on anything scratchy or put it in a pocket with change or keys, etc.

How are you supposed to treat your phone? My phone doesn't get put face down or in a pocket with anything other than itself, but things happen. Debris happens, specs get in pockets and things happen. Having a plastic film is better than having nothing. If there was a good tempered glass that was 2.5d and not $50, I'd have that.

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
This is what I have on mine and I think it's great. Smooth and clear. Slight orange peel effect when looking in the light at an angle, no lifting if put on correctly.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Screen Protector | Ringke Full Coverage Shield Film [2pk] | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-In...0&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5816196#customerReviews

Thanks for the recommendation.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but after doing research I can see the new aspect ratio doesn't handle my 2 favorite apps (Snapchat and clash royale) very well. It's a total deal breaker until these apps are better supported for the new aspect ratio.

dcooper830

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have found that otter box defender style cases work best with curved tempered glass screen protectors... because they hold down the sides, top and bottom really well.

I get them off ebay. Much cheaper than at your carrier store!!

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Be brave! I have never had a screen protector on anything and I have never had scratches. I think screen protectors are kind of gimmicky when you have Gorilla Glass already. It's like wearing a silk shirt with a burlap undershirt.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have zagg glass screen protector , so far it's working good. For the people that say they going without one because they have insurance is fine , but they charge a deductible between 150.00 200.00... I rather have the screen protector not worry about losing the deductible just my opinion