i just don't understand why people turn off AOD?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The AOD looks like the screen isn't even off esp. with the Galaxy background and big fonts on such a huge screen, people think it'll eat their battery. Even I felt that way. It could also be OCD and the fear of burn in.

The background is purely optional. And on the s8 simply changing wallpaper to one which isn't infinity display will remove the preloaded background. I keep it plain black so it's easy to see the information

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Why the exclamation point(s)? Are you surprised by that number? It's slightly higher than mine, perhaps because of a different image or different brightness. But it's still well under 1% of the battery's capacity.

All i know is i lost 13% over night as oppose to 3/4% i would lose with it turned off so for me id rather leave it off! I would likely lose over 20% to AOD in a 24 hour period and its not worth 20% of my battery in my opinion! Others however are clearly having better results with regards battery life so good for them!!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: i just don't understand....

Mine is set to be off during certain hours of the day. When I pull my phone out of my pocket, I'm unlocking it anyway to use, not to check the time. That is what my watch is for.

AOD comes on at a certain time at night so I can see time and such when I'm not wearing my watch.

We all have our preferences.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site

I have it on, really like the feature, doesn't seem to drain battery much either. My worry is if it will burn out the screen quicker? For that reason I'm considering switching it off.
It's not going to burn out the screen any faster, you can just enjoy it.

afctee

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
When Always On Display was first released, and I saw lots of people using it, I often said to myself, "Err, why...?"

A few days ago, I bought a S8 Plus and now refuse to not use my Always On Display

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
When Always On Display was first released, and I saw lots of people using it, I often said to myself, "Err, why...?"

A few days ago, I bought a S8 Plus and now refuse to not use my Always On Display
Totally agree. I never turned it on when I had my S7 Edge. But did on my S8 Plus and oh man looks and functions Great. It's so much more refined than it used to be. It always looked like it doesn't "belong" on S7 series but with S8 Series, it compliments the phone very nicely.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I turn it off when i go to bed as i turn on edge lighting instead why? Because i turn all clocks off which is less tempting for me to check the time or anything else + i have battery saver at medium which disables the aod.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't use it because I was watching a YouTube review of the S8+ and the reviewer made a point about screen burn with the bottom navigation buttons, since they don't disappear with AOD turned on.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
YouTube reviewer was wrong my friend. I have it on 24/7 and have done for years on my phones that have it. Never suffered any screen burn on any of them

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't use it because I was watching a YouTube review of the S8+ and the reviewer made a point about screen burn with the bottom navigation buttons, since they don't disappear with AOD turned on.

The home button on the aod moves but ever so slightly to prevent the burn in (+ you don't have to turn the whole thing off because of that) the clock itself moves about every minute or so. Though i only use the clock to not accidentally doubble press the always on home.

MrScotian

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
It is so useful it should be standard on all phones, all my friends with Iphones are jealous of AOD.

It's also really handy for playing Google Music as you don't have to wake your phone to change songs, it's all on AOD plus you can even see album art from a song.

Depends on the app, I guess. I listen to podcasts with the Podcast Republic app and I get lock screen controls for it.

MrScotian

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
All i know is i lost 13% over night as oppose to 3/4% i would lose with it turned off so for me id rather leave it off! I would likely lose over 20% to AOD in a 24 hour period and its not worth 20% of my battery in my opinion! Others however are clearly having better results with regards battery life so good for them!!

I'm with you. My S7 battery barely makes it through a single day with my usage. I'd far rather leave AOD off (I don't find it useful anyway) than have to charge my phone during the day.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Why do some drive Honda and some drive Ford? Drink Coke over Pepsi? Its all a matter of preference. Personally I don't use AOD, but I use features others may not, its just how we all choose to use our devices, the choices we make.
Ya but you know Coke is better right?

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
of course, anyone can do anything they want for any reason they wish.... but i don't understand turning off AOD to save battery.

i mean, it doesn't use much. but more importantly, you can put it in your pocket or face down, and the AOD shuts off.

so... you can have AOD on, never have it lit and using battery, and once in a while when you want to know the time or your alerts, just flip it face up and look... then flip over next.

The sooner you learn that it's OK not to understand why others make the decisions they do, the better off you'll be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reahs