11-08-2017 07:56 PM
29 12
tools
    I may come back here later with an actual list of pros/cons, but for now I just want to address the fingerprint scanner since that's been mentioned quite a few times so far. Now, of course, this is just my opinion here, and is based on my use ... but I have the S8+, and other than setting up the FPS, I haven't had to use it at all. Between facial recognition, iris recognition, and a 4 digit pin, I don't see a need for the FPS other than rare select instances.

I also should mention that I have a Gear S3 w/ numbersync ... and where that comes into play is the "smart lock" feature (or whatever it's called). I have the watch set as a trusted device, so as long as my phone is with me and I'm wearing my watch, it's never locked. I just hard-press the home button location on the screen and the phone opens up. Again, no need for the FPS.

Long story short, I don't like the location of the FPS, but it does work fine ... but I also get why Samsung maybe didn't care about the location as much as we think they should have - because with all the other ways to unlock the phone and/or authenticate yourself on the phone, you really should find yourself not using the FPS.

So back to the main topic of this thread ... I absolutely love the phone w/ the exception of the Bixby button. That button is the crappiest design thing I can think of. I don't care how good Bixby ever gets, there's NO reason to ever have a dedicated physical button for something like that. Other than that, my only other real complaint about the phone is the curved screen. I never liked that design, and still don't. It's effectively useless, and I'd MUCH rather have a bezel the width of the phone, as it would make holding it easier and more comfortable for me. You could still have edge panels ... but edge lighting would be hindered. However, I never leave my phone sitting face down and depend on the lighting to alert me. So, I could live without the edge lighting and never miss it.
    10-17-2017 11:30 PM
    Cons:
    Curved screen which is goofy looking and leaves you with little choice for screen protectors
    Bixby...puhleeze
    Looks dorky in a case
    Fingerprint detector location
    11-04-2017 07:48 AM
    I don't find the facial recognition to work all that great...lighting has to be near perfect, if not, it'd very slow to recognize if at all.
    11-05-2017 04:24 PM
    I wear glasses and the iris scanner can't see through them. It's a pain to have to remove my glasses every time I want to access my phone. I think the fingerprint scanner just plain sucks, regardless of the location. That only leaves facial recognition which seems to be a bit iffy. (Or...pin, pattern, password which doesn't make it any better than the cheap $70 phones.

I happen to think the my S8+ looks great in the Bear Motion (minimal) case. Any curved screen is going to have issues with tempered glass screen savers. Some day, technology will advance enough to make a tempered glass screen saver unneeded. Until then, I'll live with an oddly shaped screen saver or install a non-glass version. I certainly wouldn't pass on the phone because of that.

As far as Bixby, I just don't use it. I could do without the dedicated Bixby button in the way but again, it's not a reason to pass on the phone.
    11-08-2017 07:56 PM
29 12