Did anyone buy the Unlocked version yet?

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Plus I watched a YouTube review on the S8 and no wireless charging and no IR Blaster. Not that big of a deal but for a device that is right at a $1000 dollars, not one feature should be lacking. I was surprised no wireless charge.
The S8/+ does have wireless charging regardless of whether it's the generic unlocked one or a carrier variant. It's also closer to $860 than $1,000. But that point is still valid.

Honestly I love the S8+, but Samsung's UI will always be laggy on occasion. It starts out great, but gets laggy after a while. These days I have to reboot once a day to reduce lag, and do occasional cache clearing.

I haven't used an Honor 8, but I've used a Huawei Mate 9 (related but not really the same), and it was super snappy and completely lag free.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I still have not made a decision on which device I will purchase. I have the S7E now and really like the form factor and how the S8 feels in the hand, it's compact yet still big enough but the extra real estate on the + is also nice. I have to just stop making this an ordeal and PICK ONE!! 🤔🤔

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I still have not made a decision on which device I will purchase. I have the S7E now and really like the form factor and how the S8 feels in the hand, it's compact yet still big enough but the extra real estate on the + is also nice. I have to just stop making this an ordeal and PICK ONE!! 🤔🤔
For me it came down to the weird stuff I was seeing with the antennas on the unlocked version and updates. Insurance is now a moot point. The other day when I was speed testing the unlocked version and it was bouncing between bands I was getting between 18-30mbps tops. With the T-Mobile version staying consistently on the stronger band of the the 2 I'm seeing incredible speed. I just did this speed test and it makes me believe that T-mobile has tweaked theirs to handle band 12 much more efficiently.

afda2ba655fce51a96019c39dcc2ef5a.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For me it came down to the weird stuff I was seeing with the antennas on the unlocked version and updates. Insurance is now a moot point. The other day when I was speed testing the unlocked version and it was bouncing between bands I was getting between 18-30mbps tops. With the T-Mobile version staying consistently on the stronger band of the the 2 I'm seeing incredible speed. I just did this speed test and it makes me believe that T-mobile has tweaked theirs to handle band 12 much more efficiently.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/afda2ba655fce51a96019c39dcc2ef5a.jpg
You're sure that's band 12 ? I doubt if since band 12 usually doesn't hit those speeds.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
You're sure that's band 12 ? I doubt if since band 12 usually doesn't hit those speeds.
It's on band 4 right now. The problem was the unlocked wouldn't consistently hold band 4 so it would bounce to band 12. Then band 4 would kick back in and dump after a few and start the whole thing all over again.

Now maybe something was wrong with my specific device but I wasn't willing to get another and try it. I've never seen any of my other phones act this way including unlocked ones so it could have been a bum device.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking S8 since I clearly prefer the form factor I have now and will probably just grab it from T-Mo. See no dire need to go unlocked since usually T-Mo is pretty slim on carrier bloat.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking S8 since I clearly prefer the form factor I have now and will probably just grab it from T-Mo. See no dire need to go unlocked since usually T-Mo is pretty slim on carrier bloat.
They are pretty low on bloat but you can also disable it in package disabler which I totally forgot you could do.

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else noticed when they go to about bixby voice it prompts for an update then tries to download and says you have the most recent version. However when you open it again it tries again to update. Appears to be v1.9.33 on unlocked. Anyone else noticed thks?

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
So I have experience with a Verizon s8+ and I just bought an unlocked s8+ at best buy and the unlocked one feels a bit quicker to me. IDK.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Just when I'm loading webpages , apps, etc. There seemed to be minor lag on my Verizon model sometimes and haven't seen any yet on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress