Export slow motion videos from Galaxy S8 mobile device to PC

adrian825

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I've shoot sone great video slow motion footage with my S8 and when I try to copy them onto my desktop PC , they play lime any normal video, without slow motion effect or stabilization.

How can I export the videos to a PC, having the same effects like were filmed with the phone?

Thanks for yor support,
Adrian

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When you're watching the video you took on the Gallery, tap either the SAVE or SHARE button (otherwise it's just the original fast-frame video). The saved video will be stored in the Video Editor Folder (not the Camera one) and you can transfer from there, or if you selected SHARE, then just select where to share to (it'll save automatically to the other folder and share from there).

adrian825

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your fast reply.

I've did that, pressed the share option while watching the video and send it to my email address. The exported footage doesn't have the slow motion effect at all, and also the size of the video is significantly smaller. From 100mb, original slow motion video, to 8 mb the new video.

All that I want is to export the video to my PC, but will all the effects from the mobile phobe gallery..

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Side note: don't send the video to yourself over email. Email attachments are limited to 10 MB. Sometimes 20 MB, for Gmail. That's tiny for video unless it's just a few seconds. So it is heavily compressing the video to fit that. (Texting a video over MMS is even worse, we're talking a fraction on 1 MB).

I recommend​ Google Drive. Share it to Drive from the phone. Then dl to your computer through the Google Drive website.

Reading above commentor, you may need to "save" it for best quality. Then "share" it using a file browser or the gallery app. I don't use the video editing app on it, so I can't speak to the intricacies of using the app.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know for sure if it's the same on the S8, but with my S7 when I record a video using slow motion I can adjust the speed while viewing the video in my gallery. Because the phone knows it's a video that can be adjusted like this, I need to press the export button and it will save it as a video at the selected play back speed.

Once exported that way, I can move the file to a PC and it will play slow motion.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know for sure if it's the same on the S8, but with my S7 when I record a video using slow motion I can adjust the speed while viewing the video in my gallery. Because the phone knows it's a video that can be adjusted like this, I need to press the export button and it will save it as a video at the selected play back speed.

Once exported that way, I can move the file to a PC and it will play slow motion.

Yup, that's the same. Unless you export it (in the S8 it's called SAVE) you won't get the slow-mo file on a computer, just the 'raw' fast-frame footage played at normal speed.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Side note: don't send the video to yourself over email. Email attachments are limited to 10 MB. Sometimes 20 MB, for Gmail. That's tiny for video unless it's just a few seconds. So it is heavily compressing the video to fit that. (Texting a video over MMS is even worse, we're talking a fraction on 1 MB).

I recommend​ Google Drive. Share it to Drive from the phone. Then dl to your computer through the Google Drive website.

Reading above commentor, you may need to "save" it for best quality. Then "share" it using a file browser or the gallery app. I don't use the video editing app on it, so I can't speak to the intricacies of using the app.

You don't really 'use' the app, but unless you save the video with the selected slow motion parts (or export, in more correct terms even if the button doesn't say so), you won't be able to watch it with the slow mo effects on a computer. The saved (exported) file, however, will as it's a rendered video WITH the slow motion effects, not just fast-framed raw footage. The saved or exported file is saved to a folder called Video Editor (because, in the end, it WAS the built-in video editor that handled the rendering and final video file save).

Even if you share to e-mail or text (which like you say, will be crappy), unless you share the final, rendered version of the slow-motion video, the shared file won't have the slow motion effects.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The slow motion effects you see on the phone are probably just altering frame rates in realtime and the movie has not been recompressed. When saving the file elsewhere the frame rate is still the original frame rate. Use your own video editor and recompress the video if you want the changes to be permanent. It is ideal to do this on your pc as it is much faster them your phone would be.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The slow motion effects you see on the phone are probably just altering frame rates in realtime and the movie has not been recompressed. When saving the file elsewhere the frame rate is still the original frame rate. Use your own video editor and recompress the video if you want the changes to be permanent. It is ideal to do this on your pc as it is much faster them your phone would be.

No need to use 'your own'. Again, the phone itself has it built in, and saving it to device (exporting it) automatically renders the video with the slow motion frames onto a new file. The original raw footage is left untouched in the Camera folder.

SurenderDalal

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I also did not get the perfect and correct solution but I did workaround for me.

in S8 you can make gif file of whatever is running on mobile screen by select - Edge Pannel -> Smart Select -> Annimation and just play the slow motion video and can capture 15 Sec gif file and it working great to share on social media.

Another way, I cast mobile screen to my big flat TV and play, while playing make another video of paying slow motion movie and saved it and shared, it is working perfect as I was thinking.

If some one got good solution, please share.

thanks

airtas

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

when recording a video in slow mo how does my samsung know the video was shot in slow mo?

It displays the different icon in the gallery but if I export the file it is in fast speed.

Is there some sort of meta data put into the video file for the samsung media player to know it is supposed to be slow?