Confessions of a Chronic Cache Cleaner

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Would the increased read/write activity due to frequent cleaning lead to accelerated internal or external (SD Card) storage wear and tear?

This might increase wear and tear (as I understand a deletion is considered a write). I think it would be more noticed on an SD card as the life cycles on those are less than internal storage.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
This might increase wear and tear (as I understand a deletion is considered a write). I think it would be more noticed on an SD card as the life cycles on those are less than internal storage.
I don't keep a device long enough to worry about this. You won't wear it out in 12 months or less.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It is a habit. That's where my being anal comes into play. Manually cleaning out old files , and just organizing things the way I like them to be.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i do the same thing for the app store and Galaxy store i dont set them to auto update i like to manually check ...I like doing​ these things myself

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think I tried it once to try and fix a bluetooth audio "tic" (a skip that happens like 20 seconds after interacting with the playstream) but to no avail so never touched it again. I havn't been seeing any lag that would warrant me to need to wipe the cache. I did it every month or so on my LG G4 because the Bluetooth would skip something fierce after a while for some weird reason.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I occasionally use my s8 optimisation feature but that's only if I'm navigating to something and see it thus remember it's there.
It's usually at 90/100 because I won't activate the virus software.

My phone has yet to cause me to do any of the micro management your carrying out.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I've regularly clean cache, history and cookies and have been able to hold on to my phones for years. I suspect that has been why I have escaped alot of the problems posted on theses forums. I had my LG 4 since launch and never experienced the problems others had .

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I clean my cache every week. It's amazing how much data that frees up. The only downside is that my gallery takes awhile to reload all the pics from the SD card.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's a good point. I mean, I should clear my cache more often honestly.

Update, so just cleared my cache, and yeah it freed up a bunch of data on my phone!
761cf438f5c32af7e8cf624c67c40389.jpg

Considering I've never used one of these memory cleaning apps before, is this a good one to use?

Last edited:

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
You not the only one OP. I'm on of those 9GAG people and love my daily dose of memes (Thumbs up for fellow 9GAG fans) ^_^ haha. I was looking at my storage and it seemed like i was using quite a lot so wondered where it was all coming from. I looked at my web Browser and it had nearly 1GB of cache lol. So on a weekly basis, i now go through my apps and just clear the cache. It's amazing how much space it can use up over a couple weeks.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I have used the SD maid app for over a year and I find it's works Great!. I would recommend you get the paid version... I believe it is $2.99?...