Why is there a lot of hate for the S8?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
As I said, I think it's clear that with the thread using "hate" in the title and the prior posts, that I am using "hate" in the exact same manner as the rest of the thread.

Well, then I will correct you. It is in fact not clear how you are personally choosing to interpret the term "hate." Again, I will reiterate. The OP asked why people are hating the phone. You responded saying there's a lot of reasons to hate the phone. I asked you to clarify and list some reasons to "hate" the phone and then you started writing verbose paragraphs about how everyone should interpret how you expect them to understand your different usage of a colloquial term we all already know the definition of.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, then I will correct you. It is in fact not clear how you are personally choosing to interpret the term "hate." Again, I will reiterate. The OP asked why people are hating the phone. You responded saying there's a lot of reasons to hate the phone. I asked you to clarify and list some reasons to "hate" the phone and then you started writing verbose paragraphs about how everyone should interpret how you expect them to understand your different usage of a colloquial term we all already know the definition of.

So you believe that the OP means that people are basically foaming at the mouth, freaking out in rage and disgust about how much they detst the S8? Because the OP opens with, "I saw a lot of people dislike the S8 and talk about bad performance about the phone." after using "hate" in the title to describe that sentiment. So to the OP, which set the tone for replies to the OP, "hate" = "mild dislike or complaints". So I used it in the exact same manner that they did. Thanks for the correction, but you're reading too much into it.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So to the OP, which set the tone for replies to the OP, "hate" = "mild dislike or complaints". So I used it in the exact same manner that they did.

Check again pal. You're the only one on this thread that is actually equating hate to mild dislike. Re-read all the posts if you must. The OP asked why people were hating the phone. (Probably because it doesn't make sense to hate a phone) the only other references to hate on this thread are people either agreeing that it doesn't make sense to hate a phone, or specifically clarifying that there are some things they dislike, but wouldn't call it hate.

You are the only person here that has said there are things to hate about the phone.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Opinions are exactly that, everyone will likely have a slightly different user experience because we all use different apps with various settings for sync and such. I always tell someone considering a device. decide what you want to do with the phone, then find something that does that.. (There is no holy grail device that I have seen) if you like something great, if you don't that's cool too. The good news, every generation of device gets better :)

Cheers,
BR

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Check again pal. You're the only one on this thread that is actually equating hate to mild dislike. Re-read all the posts if you must. The OP asked why people were hating the phone. (Probably because it doesn't make sense to hate a phone) the only other references to hate on this thread are people either agreeing that it doesn't make sense to hate a phone, or specifically clarifying that there are some things they dislike, but wouldn't call it hate.

You are the only person here that has said there are things to hate about the phone.

Ok, we'll try this again.

OP: "Why is there a lot of hate for the S8? I saw a lot of people dislike the S8 and talk about bad performance about the phone."

This means that the OP believes that: a lot of people disliking the S8 and talking about their experiences with it's poor performance = so much hate

Your point about me being the only person to point out that those people's opinions are potentially valid is pretty irrelevant. The OP is asking why so many people dislike it and I answered that there are valid reasons that they might not like it. This was done in the exact same terms that the OP used, which to the OP were interchangeable. Simply being the first to do so doesn't change what was said by either of us. It's perfectly understandable if you read it exactly as written in the context of what it is replying to.

I'm sorta concerned that you're making such a big deal out of me using the same term as the OP, when it's obvious that the OP used them interchangeably. I hope you're not being purposely dense. Perhaps it's best to chalk it up to you misunderstanding the text and the point and we can just move on?

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
As I said, I think it's clear that with the thread using "hate" in the title and the prior posts, that I am using "hate" in the exact same manner as the rest of the thread. Not that people are passionately disgusted by the things, but that they dislike things. It can also be said that people who like those things or like other things are interpreting those dislikes as being hatred due to their own pro-like bias. I think there are very few people that are actually angry about any features on a device they chose not to purchase. But there are many valid complaints about the S8 that could reasonably inspire a person to choose something else in its stead.

Futhermore, I think it's more egregious to pretend that a device is perfect or that there are no valid complaints about it, than it is to voice ones opinions about what they like and dislike about it. And, as can be seen in this thread and in others, far more people ARE angry about people disagreeing with their opinions about it, than are angry about any perceived misses on the OEM's part in producing the device. So with that in mind, pointing out that the device DOES have flaws and does have subjective aspects that people may or may not appreciate is simply putting forth the idea that perhaps the "haters" are just as justified, or even more so, than the people complaining about other people not liking it.

The #1 thing this thread was about is some other threads that appeared lately on the forums posting mostly only hate towards the s8 without any explanation or logic + the other people answering in these threads with hate towards the op. Hating a phone with facts and reasons (ie: red tint,bad customer service etc) is a valid point and should be respected but some people don't seem to get that message and post random threads that seem to be only trolling.

I have an s8+ and i'm far from thinking it's perfect,i do think it's the best looking phone at the moment BUT i think the g6 looks 100x more classy than the s8. I had a slight redish tint out of the box and managed to fix it easily,but again not everyone is that lucky and these people come here to post their frustration with samsung to which i can understand what i don't get is the free hate these people get, if you'd have had a bad experience like em you'd be pissed too. Imho some threads should be closed as they often get out of hands (won't name any for obvious reasons) they tend to only attract hate as they're pretty much troll thread or random thread with no logical hate. It's fine to hate something about a phone or the phone entirely but at least point out WHY so it makes sense.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I saw a lot of people dislike the S8 and talk about bad performance about the phone.

I am not a Samsung fan boy but I think S8+ is the best phone and also the best looking phone right now. I never had any performance problem , no random shut down or any problem.

I will stick with this phone until I see the phone that have better looking and I can't go back to the phone that have big top and bottom hazel anymore..

Any thought?

I agree with you. I am also not a Samsung fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but I do see a lot of people outwardly hating on the Galaxy S8's. Now, I can understand if they had a bad experience with the phone. Some people also just don't take the necessary precautionary measures with the phone such as a package disabler, etc. Why do I keep on bringing that up? In my experience, when you disable bloatware, you not only free up memory , you save quite a bit of battery. If people don't want to debloat, and streamline their phones unfortunately that's their own problem.

As far as the phone being slippery and breakable... Well, it's not the only phone on the market like that , it's just one of the most heavily advertised/marketed phones on the market. I mean for ex. look at the Google Pixel phones. I love one-handing my S8; makes it soo easy to use and type on. Also it makes it very comfortable to just hold in one hand or slide into your pocket. That Super AMOLED screen Samsung is known for is absolutely gorgeous. It makes everything look like it's painted on the screen. Other than stock Android on them, there are quite a few disadvantage to them, and I was dying to buy the Pixel XL for a while. Google HAS to do a good job in their design department with then second generation hardware. Also NO flagship phone these days should come without an IP68 water rating either! I was also looking at the LG G6, but the design isn't nearly as sexy as the S8's is, and Touchwiz has more nice features of making excellent use of the new screen ration and bezel-less design. I think the HTC U11 is a nice looking phone as well, however, Sense UI still isn't all that it's cracked up to be and it' doesn't perform better than the S8 for the price point that both phones are in.

Now, the question of should you HAVE to disable apps, and debloat your phone just to have a good user experience? Of course not, but the S8's have are giving us the best Samsung TOuchwiz experience ever. If you don't want bloatware whatsoever, then go buy a Pixel phone. It's not a bad option, but there are certain features of the S8's Touchwiz UI that I do love over stock Android as well. That being said, I absolutely love my Galaxy S8!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The #1 thing this thread was about is some other threads that appeared lately on the forums posting mostly only hate towards the s8 without any explanation or logic + the other people answering in these threads with hate towards the op. Hating a phone with facts and reasons (ie: red tint,bad customer service etc) is a valid point and should be respected but some people don't seem to get that message and post random threads that seem to be only trolling.

I have an s8+ and i'm far from thinking it's perfect,i do think it's the best looking phone at the moment BUT i think the g6 looks 100x more classy than the s8. I had a slight redish tint out of the box and managed to fix it easily,but again not everyone is that lucky and these people come here to post their frustration with samsung to which i can understand what i don't get is the free hate these people get, if you'd have had a bad experience like em you'd be pissed too. Imho some threads should be closed as they often get out of hands (won't name any for obvious reasons) they tend to only attract hate as they're pretty much troll thread or random thread with no logical hate. It's fine to hate something about a phone or the phone entirely but at least point out WHY so it makes sense.

I agree there are a lot of ridiculous threads; not all of them are intending to troll, etc. though. Some members of the forums are more passionate than others and/or more vocal about their opinions. The S8 is going to be a magnet for those because it's the most popular Android device in the markets that we serve and by far the most popular section of the forums. It's one of the only devices that almost everyone knows something about, like it, love it, don't care or hate it - most people have an opinion one way or another about it. The goal would be to have everyone feeling like they can share those opinions, positive or negative, in a productive and respectful manner that positively contributes to the discussion.

The difference between, "hmm, that's an interesting point; I disagree with this part..." and "FUFUFUFUFU TROLL GTFO and DIE!!!" are night and day.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
...and I answered that there are valid reasons that they might not like it.

No. You responded that there were a lot of things to hate about the phone.

I'm sorta concerned that you're making such a big deal out of me using the same term as the OP,

And I'm sorta concerned that you can't just come out and admit that you didn't mean to suggest "there's a lot of things to hate" about a phone.

We'll have to leave it at that as you seem to be more concerned with twisting and wriggling over the meaning of well defined words fully established in the English language than you are to actually discuss your opinion about the phone. Again, you said there's lots of reasons to hate the phone, and I asked you to clarify that. I wasn't looking for butthurt, I was just looking for a list of items that you considered "hate-worthy" so we could discuss them.

Good day.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

And I'm sorta concerned that you can't just come out and admit that you didn't mean to suggest "there's a lot of things to hate" about a phone.

We'll have to leave it at that as you seem to be more concerned with twisting and wriggling over the meaning of well defined words fully established in the English language than you are to actually discuss your opinion about the phone. Again, you said there's lots of reasons to hate the phone, and I asked you to clarify that. I wasn't looking for butthurt, I was just looking for a list of items that you considered "hate-worthy" so we could discuss them.

Good day.

There are. And I'm not twisting the wording, as I've explained twice - I'm using them in the exact same way that the OP did.

Examples of things people "hate" (or dislike, or whatever you want to call it:
Glass body
FPS location
Software (the software itself and lack of updates)
Lack of security update commitment
Poor audio compared to its competition
Camera is, for the first time in years, not the best in its generation
QuickCharge 2.0
Bixby
Edge display
Red Tint
Wifi and BT issuse
Bloatware
Aspect Ratio

But the other important part, is that some people love some of those very things and there are way more things to love (or like, or whatever you want to call it) than there are to dislike:
Great SoC
Best display on an Android
Best performing galaxy device to date
Aspect Ratio
Edge Display
Wireless Charging
Battery Life
FPS finally on the back
Capacities Keys finally gone
64 GB base storage
Camera is still great, even if it's not #1 it's still awesome
Best looking software ever on a Galaxy
Still gets security updates more often than other OEMs except for BB & Google
High water resistance rating
Lots of accessories built around it
S8+ huge device without feeling like a monster.
Lots of free stuff given away with device to increase value

Etc, etc. People feeling one way or another about anything on either list is totally valid. But it is possible to make both lists (for this and for just about every other phone) - so it's therefor valid to have complaints about it.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree there are a lot of ridiculous threads; not all of them are intending to troll, etc. though. Some members of the forums are more passionate than others and/or more vocal about their opinions. The S8 is going to be a magnet for those because it's the most popular Android device in the markets that we serve and by far the most popular section of the forums. It's one of the only devices that almost everyone knows something about, like it, love it, don't care or hate it - most people have an opinion one way or another about it. The goal would be to have everyone feeling like they can share those opinions, positive or negative, in a productive and respectful manner that positively contributes to the discussion.

The difference between, "hmm, that's an interesting point; I disagree with this part..." and "FUFUFUFUFU TROLL GTFO and DIE!!!" are night and day.

Thing is what i mean by free hate is sometimes people don't think before posting and just go here to say it's plain ****e (sorry for bad language) that's what i mean by free hate , Then these same people either make a second thread or just get here again to say no one wants to help. I'm sorry but if no one has the ability to help an issue you have dosen't mean we don't want to it's probably because it's not well knowned or we have no idea how and instead of doing a google search/asking samsung directly, they come here and simply say the phone sucks with no point or logic to make out of their threads.

In other words if you hate the phone it's totally fine but at least express your opinion with logic and points to discuss, this is a forum after all not a free hate speech one, so don't expect people to just stand by while you say their favorite phone this year is crap as we all know that never ends well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In other words if you hate the phone it's totally fine but at least express your opinion with logic and points to discuss, this is a forum after all not a free hate speech one, so don't expect people to just stand by while you say their favorite phone this year is crap as we all know that never ends well.

True, but as Almeuit was alluding to, even when people are being suckbeasts, the moderators still expect every one replying to it to still conduct themselves in a civil manner. It's one of the frustrations with being a moderator, because you get person A is getting close to the line saying whatever and then person B comes and crosses the line in a reply and the moderators have to address person B, when it's clear to everyone that person B wouldn't have done their dumb stuff if person A wasn't stepping so close to the line.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
True, but as Almeuit was alluding to, even when people are being suckbeasts, the moderators still expect every one replying to it to still conduct themselves in a civil manner. It's one of the frustrations with being a moderator, because you get person A is getting close to the line saying whatever and then person B comes and crosses the line in a reply and the moderators have to address person B, when it's clear to everyone that person B wouldn't have done their dumb stuff if person A wasn't stepping so close to the line.

Exactly why i refused a post for trusted member lol.
I have patience but dealing with these on a daily basis i just can't, so i applaud moderators and everyone doing so on these forums. Well that and also the fact i'd have to pretty much be here all day (which i don't want to 0.0).

Might still consider it someday if the opportunity comes back and if i can be active and not here checking posts all day :p

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Good day.

Are we really bantering on .. about what you can or can't "hate" (versus dislike) about a phone? Really? That is happening? Let's stop the semantics game now.

You're on a tech enthusiast forum so bringing in comments such as "people have nothing else to worry about in life" is honestly .. crap. This forum literally is for this kind of thing. For nerds to nerd out on the good/bad of tech. If you don't want to participate that is fine but taking a thread completely off the rails on what you think someone can or can't "hate" because of their "life" is beyond ridiculous. You have no idea what they're going through and TBH .. They can hate or love/like or dislike whatever feature they want. Let's not play semantics on words just to start stuff in a thread when it is extremely unnecessary.

We all know what the OP meant and we responded how we felt/our opinions about said device (in this case the S8).

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I still say if you want to see phone hate and I use that term loosely..... come over to the LG threads or one of the LG review blogs.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Man i gotta say i love moderators here XD ahah
You guys are awesome so thumbs up for y'all :p
Also mike if you read this i will! you made me too curious 0.0

Steven Frost1

May 12, 2017
Visit site
as always in this game there will always be haters and I have a feeling most of the negative comments made about the S8 and S8plus are from IPhone users.

personally the S8 and S8 plus are the best on the market at present.

the battery life is brilliant now I've set it up I'm getting around 24 hours use out it the finger print sensor is fast and being left handed is very easy to use the camera is brilliant on it.

but these are all personal to us I'd just wish the haters stayed away in fact I wish the mods would delete them they hold no value to what's being said yes ok people will have issues or groans that's fine but haters just stay away.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
as always in this game there will always be haters and I have a feeling most of the negative comments made about the S8 and S8plus are from IPhone users.

personally the S8 and S8 plus are the best on the market at present.

the battery life is brilliant now I've set it up I'm getting around 24 hours use out it the finger print sensor is fast and being left handed is very easy to use the camera is brilliant on it.

but these are all personal to us I'd just wish the haters stayed away in fact I wish the mods would delete them they hold no value to what's being said yes ok people will have issues or groans that's fine but haters just stay away.

Everyone has the right to express their opinions wether it be positive or negative if they want to hate and do it in a civil/logicall manner i don't see what's the problem the only "problematic" is when there's no logic and it basically says it sucks. Then mods have to get in there because ofc it attracts everyone to hate the Op writting that. I get some get frustrated because of all the issues the s8 was plagued with but writting that kind of stuff when you're angry won't help anyone and especially not the one writting it.

In other words hating is fine unless there's no logic or point being made,or if it's not done in a civil way.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Everyone has the right to express their opinions wether it be positive or negative if they want to hate and do it in a civil/logicall manner i don't see what's the problem the only "problematic" is when there's no logic and it basically says it sucks. Then mods have to get in there because ofc it attracts everyone to hate the Op writting that. I get some get frustrated because of all the issues the s8 was plagued with but writting that kind of stuff when you're angry won't help anyone and especially not the one writting it.

In other words hating is fine unless there's no logic or point being made,or if it's not done in a civil way.
You're absolutely right. . Whenever I comment to people it's not only mature but it's professional to. I have years of experience dealing with people and smartphones and Technology. I know how it is and how it can get unfortunately.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah there's always going to be negative comments about phones. All phones have haters. No phones escape this. But some phones are more visible than others. Which is why Apple and Samsung get the most hate. Besides the more expensive a phone is, the more liable it is for hate. "Why buy a s8 when you can get the oneplus 5 for $200 less or whatever." Is a popular refrain you'll see.