Best display brightness?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
So I was curious what everyone had their brightness set to? Does most just run adaptive brightness or do you turn that off and have one brightness all of the time?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have to many other things in life to manage to have time to adjust my phone brightness manually. Auto brightness for me every day.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
No auto since it just gets too dark for my liking. Pretty bright setting. I don't have great battery life for this setting and other reasons. That's OK though for me.
cf820f6fa3f4628d3e030e8b15255542.jpg

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
During normal use I am around %50 but I often use it when the lights are out either before or after sleeping and I need to drop it to minimum settings, so I am all over the place. Never %100 but then I never use it in direct sunlight.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never been a fan of auto brightness so I always put it to manual right away. For normal use, I put it at about 60%. At night I'll drop it down really low and when I'm outside on a run or whatever, I definitely have it at 100%.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
keep mine on 50-75% average,i find the we got better things to do argument a bit lazy lol. Specially for something that takes 2 secs while you use the thing xD no reason not to :p

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Auto. Unless I'm playing a game in landscape and my hand is blocking the sensor. In that particular case the screen dims as my hand blocks the light.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I keep mine on auto unless I am watching media. Watching media I put it around 90% or so.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I keep it on auto but adjust it in certain situations up or down. Usually when reading, watching a video or playing a game.

qho3inp

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
So I was curious what everyone had their brightness set to? Does most just run adaptive brightness or do you turn that off and have one brightness all of the time?

I got my note 8 heavily burn in 😂
After that now im using 20% on my new s20+
And trying too keep display healthy

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow, can you see it at 20%??

My Note 8 bought at launch/preorder has yet to have a pixel of burn knock on wood.

I did spend the first year of ownership running at 50% which was perfectly bright enough (indoors) for me and disabled adaptive display and ran it on 1080p rather than QuadHD. I like to baby my phones first year cause I'd hate to have anything happen first year lol. About 18 months after, I decided to just go Quad HD and turn on Adaptive to let the phone control it and also be able to see better outside in the Florida Sun. With Adaptive + Florida Sun it's almost guaranteed to go beyond 100+ brightness and been running it that way for past year+ and no burn.

I wonder if running conservative like that in beginning helped "break in" the screen. Or maybe just lucky with the panel. But that's how I'll run any new in future.

I got my note 8 heavily burn in ??????

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow, can you see it at 20%??

My Note 8 bought at launch/preorder has yet to have a pixel of burn knock on wood.

I did spend the first year of ownership running at 50% which was perfectly bright enough (indoors) for me and disabled adaptive display and ran it on 1080p rather than QuadHD. I like to baby my phones first year cause I'd hate to have anything happen first year lol. About 18 months after, I decided to just go Quad HD and turn on Adaptive to let the phone control it and also be able to see better outside in the Florida Sun. With Adaptive + Florida Sun it's almost guaranteed to go beyond 100+ brightness and been running it that way for past year+ and no burn.

I wonder if running conservative like that in beginning helped "break in" the screen. Or maybe just lucky with the panel. But that's how I'll run any new in future.

And just recently went back to 1080p but still have Active on... I can't tell the diff when on QuadHD and went down just to improve battery a bit at this point. Should last me until Note 20 :)

I got my note 8 heavily burn in ??????

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
The Note 8 has a AMOLED screen so it has a finite life span.
Maximize the black and keep brightness below 50%, saves battery too.
Keep stuff moving around on the screen to avoid premature aging spots.
Sun is death... try to avoid using it in direct sunlight with brightness at 100%
White is the most destructive color for these screens.
I use manual brightness control as needed.